*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
charliechaplinfan

Re: *CANDIDS*

Post by charliechaplinfan »

RIP Karl Malden, I remember trying to watch you when I was young on The Streets of San Francisco but I always got sent to bed. I've enjoyed your film performances.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Wow. I literally just watched "One Eyed Jacks" for the first time in years night before last. I bought the movie this morning because I had always liked it. I didn't even realize till a few minutes ago that he had passed away. Mr. Malden was great in the movie - shifty eyed.... a big man thinking he was getting away with a big lie, but his world crumbling because of it.

He always got the job done, in lots of unglamorous roles. Rest in peace.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Jack & Alison,

Yes Jack, Martha did do a lot of touring for the troops both during wartime and peace time. She was a trained nurse and assisted at several operations in Vietnam and did hospital duty too.

And yes Alison, I did know Martha very well in the 50's and 60's and last saw her in 1986 in LA. She was the one who told me about Chaplin and "Monsieur Verdoux" after I saw the movie on TV once. I thought she should have been nominated for an Oscar as 'Best Supporting Actress' back then but she told me that Chaplin wasn't popular and the movie didn't do well, so she wasn't ever considered for any awards.
As a matter of fact, she was my godmother, when I was baptised at the Good Shepard Church in 1946.
In 1972 when he came back to LA for his Oscar, she met him at the airport and had a huge party for him later and he was very, very touched by it all.
Paulette Goddard was at the party too...

Larry
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

GALE STORM (1922 - 2009) RIP
Joseph Goodheart
klondike

Post by klondike »

Vecchiolarry wrote: Martha was a very attractive woman in person and had an ample busom (Mae West) and beautiful legs (Marlene Dietrich) and quite resembled Ava Gardner when she wasn't hamming it up.... Her 'big mouth' did spoil the Ava affect a great deal!!!

Larry
And just for the record: Martha Raye has received, in memory, a prestigious Great Hair, Babe! award from the Klondike Foundation of Female Appreciation.
Hey, look, some guys get hooked by Legs, others are fans of the valentines left on the beach, still others are drawn to the parantheses that rest on the bar . . me, first & foremost, I'm a hair guy . . so sue me, already!
8)
charliechaplinfan

Oh Larry, you have wonderful memories, did Paulette ever tell you anything about being married to Chaplin? I promise I won't ask you anything else about Charlie lest anyone else gets bored.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

JULY 2nd. BIRTHDAYS

SIDNEY 'WOIM' KILBRICK is 81 today

KENNETH McMILLAN (1932 - 1989)

ESTELITA RODRIGUEZ (1928 - 1966)

BROCK PETERS (1927 - 2005)

CATHERINE McLEOD (1921 - 1997)

KEN CURTIS (1916 - 1991) yes, it's Festus
Joseph Goodheart
klondike

Post by klondike »

mongoII wrote:
KEN CURTIS (1916 - 1991) yes, it's Festus
Ahh, but how many amongst us was aware that Mr. Curtis was also John Ford's son-in-law, or that he sang at Ward Bond's funeral?
(Alright, so a lot of folks @ SSO already knew all that . . I myself just found that stuff out a couple months ago!)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

that he sang at Ward Bond's funeral?

That must have been heartbreaking......I don;t think I could bear to hear his beautiful voice at a funeral... too emotional.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

HARVE PRESNELL (1933 - 2009) RIP
Joseph Goodheart
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Alison,

No, Paulette Goddard never talked about Chaplin to me.
When I first knew PG, as with many others I knew, I didn't know she or they were movie stars - just people my grandmother knew.
By the time I figured it all out around 1953/1954, Paulette was gone from LA and so was Chaplin.
Most of my stories have come from Betty Blythe, an old time silent movie star, and long forgotten, even by us on these movie boards.

Maybe Joe can find a picture of Betty Blythe for us. She starred in "The Queen of Sheba" and "She" in the early 20's and never made it into the talkies (that's why she's forgotten)....
But she was quite a 'dish' in her day in her diaphonous gowns!!! Mae West and Nita Naldi were big fans of Betty...

Larry
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Here she is, Larry

ImageImage
Joseph Goodheart
charliechaplinfan

Wow, she looks lovely.

Larry,

Do you ever regret not realising who they were and asking the questions or do you think they wouldn't have wanted to talk about their past?

Alison

ps I bet Paulette was still gorgeous when you knew her.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Larry and Mongo,

I don't know the protocol here for posting pictures in this thread, but I have always loved the way Betty Blythe looked. I have a few books about silent stars that I have owned since I was a kid. I was always fascinated by Ms. Blythe (and by the 1910's and 20's movie stars in general) and her original bee stung lips. She was one of the first sex symbols and I remember one full length photo of her draped in strands of pearls and precious little else. Would it be presumptuous of me to post a couple more pics of her here?
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Jack, be my guest.
Joseph Goodheart