*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Joe,

Wow, what a great photo of a young Agnes Moorehead looking quite attractive. I'm not fussy about the hairdo though - too severe....

And, it's nice to see Ann Miller & Peter Lawford in younger days - especially Peter, who aged badly.

And also, the picture of Barbara Stanwyck with her Oscar. Now there's an example for our younger celebrities on "how to be a star 101" - how to dress and be groomed and pose like a "lady" - do they know what the word "lady" entails???
Well girls, here's one - a prime example...
Larry
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Is Preston Sturges' boat levitating? Gives new meaning to "whatever floats your boat."
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

CCfan, thanks for being a Cfan.

Klondike, that image of Pidgeon & Morgan is so natural-like it reminded me of my bother-in-laws playing cards in the old days. The good old days.

Larry, Agnes Moorehead IS stunning in that picture. No argument on the Stanwyck comment since it is true and she is also my favorite actress.

ChiO, it does appear that Sturges is floating above the water.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Some of you may remember that Ned Wynn posted on TCM for a little while. I think Judith carried on some conversations with him. I don't think he spoke very highly of Van Johnson.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

movieman1957 wrote:Some of you may remember that Ned Wynn posted on TCM for a little while. I think Judith carried on some conversations with him. I don't think he spoke very highly of Van Johnson.
Hi Chris,
Ned Wynn has a blog where he posts occasionally. It is found here:
http://wynnwords.com/

In his memoir, We Will Always Live in Beverly Hills, he wrote about his puzzlement over his family's shifting loyalties as his mother was first married to Keenan Wynn (Van Johnson's best friend), followed by a divorce and marriage to Johnson.

He wrote with some compassion for all parties as I recall. He seemed to be fond of his sister Schuyler and seemed to have some sympathy for his stepfather's issues, as well as legitimate confusion and painful memories of his severing of ties with his stepsons and particularly his sister.
Last edited by moira finnie on September 16th, 2008, 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
klondike

Post by klondike »

movieman1957 wrote:Some of you may remember that Ned Wynn posted on TCM for a little while. I think Judith carried on some conversations with him. I don't think he spoke very highly of Van Johnson.
Ah! :idea:
But does anybody recall if he mentioned anything about his step-sister Schuyler? :roll:
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

klondike wrote:
Ah! :idea:
But does anybody recall if he mentioned anything about his step-sister Schuyler? :roll:
I think that we were posting at the same time, Klondike. Please see above for a little info. Perhaps more can be found at Ned Wynn's blog.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

You know, since I'm getting more senior by the moment, I can't remember what Ned Wynn said about Van Johnson - I have some vague memories of Johnson being discussed over at TCM when I was there. I remember some talk about Schuyler. I just did a cursory search over there, but didn't find what I was looking for. There's a thread in Archives on Caine Mutiny, at which Ned Wynn is the last poster, but I think he had started one called "Golden Age Survivor," didn't he?

I do remember Ned talking about how his father referred to Dan Dailey as "Dan Doily." Dailey was another rival - I think maybe Keenan's Wynne's second wife left to marry Dailey. I forget the details now -- but I also remember Ned saying that his father's last marriage was successful and long-lasting.

I wish we could get Ned to come over here. He writes so well, and he has so much to tell us. He and Larry could exchange shaggy dog stories, or shaggy Hollywood stories, or something like that.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hi Judith,
Perhaps you would like to ask Mr. Wynn to drop by? In addition to his blog, he appears to have a MySpace page as well found here: http://www.myspace.com/ned_wynn

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

At the risk of clogging Mongo's thread here is the link to "Golden Age Survivor." I hope it works.

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.j ... tstart=800
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Moira, I'll give it a try. I have not been in contact with him since my TMC days. I had suggested Ned's name for an invite a while back when SSO was still new, to Jondaris. I don't know if Jon ever tried to get in touch with Ned.

I can't say that Ned will want to join us; I have the impression that he may be a tad curmudgeonly at times (uh-oh, I hope he doesn't read this!). Maybe he's tired of the Silver Screen.

As my mother answered to just about ever request I ever made of her: "we'll see . . . . . . . . . . . . . "
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I think I said that today and I heard it so many times in my childhood. The answer to many questions.

We'll see.......I'll just have to try harder tomorrow :wink:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Judith, I hope that you can get Ned to join us here at SSO. Good luck!
Joseph Goodheart
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Joe,

In the picture of Troy Donahue with the blondes:

The one on the left is Carole Wells, who I used to date in 1961/1962. She resembled my grandmother very much (what does that say about me!!) and Nell actually approved of her.

My fatal mistake was that I introduced her to my cousin, Ed Doheny, and they got married in 1963.
They had two kids but divorced about a decade later.

I last saw Carole in 1998 and she's still a 'looker'; she's now 66 a few months younger than me...

Larry
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Larry, I just looked up Carole Wells on IMDb and she is a very attractive woman today.
It also stated that she was married to your cousin for 10 years up until his death? Go figure.
In any event you cerainly had a charmer in your day.