*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I'm really enjoying your photos, Joe.

The color portrait of the Dinner at Eight cast brings back memories, because they were still printing advertisements like that when I was a little girl. Notice all the cast members are sipping something -- looks like Coca-Cola. Marie Dressler, especially, seems to be enjoying it. Wonder if it's spiked.

I can't get over that picture of Montgomery Clift. Are you sure that's not his twin sister, Roberta? You know how twins like to fool people with their resemblance to each other.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Judith,

I thought that was a young Ingrid Bergman when I saw it; was very surprised to read it was Montgomery Clift!!!
I also would have guessed his sister or any other woman - but Montgomery?? - wow incredible...

Larry
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Thank you, Judith. I tried to find a pic of Monty and his twin Roberta together to see how identicle they actually were. No luck...yet.
However my source did indicate it WAS Monty in the picture which I used.
Glad that your enjoying the images.

French heartthrob Alain Delon with his lover the gorgeous Romy Schneider.

Orson Welles & Edward G. Robinson in conversation at the Stork Club.

Wonderful Oliver Hardy & Stan Laurel on tour toward the end of their careers.

A tipsy Martin Sheen & Ava Gardner with a patient driver.

A weary John Barrymore (Heaven only knows what his day was like).

Don Siegel directs Dana Wynter & Kevin McCarthy in "Invasion of the Body Snatchers".

Barbra Streisand on a cloudy day.

Van Johnson with wife Evie and their daughter Schuyler whom he has disowned. The two boys are from Evie's marriage to Keenan Wynn.

Producer Mark Hellinger, Ann Blyth & Burt Lancaster on the set of "Brute Force".

Good heavens, it's Joan Crawford as the Statue of Liberty.

Natalie Wood and Nick Adams during show and tell.

Fay Wray rehearsing a dramatic moment from "King Kong".

A suave Boris Karloff aka the Frankenstein monster.

Glenn Ford & William Holden on the set of "Texas" (1941).

Claudette Colbert, a living doll.

Judy Garland & Mickey Rooney kicking up their heels with the soldiers.

Up and coming Ida Lupino in 1934.

Former child actor Ivan Jandl with his awards for his wonderful performance in "The Search" which starred Montgomery Clift.

James Stewart with his wife Gloria and their children.

Leslie Howard & Norma Shearer on the set of...guess?

Our Audrey Hepburn assaults a photographer?

Mary Pickford (is she standing in a hole?), Gary Cooper and Marion Davies.

Director Elia Kazan, Marlon Brando, Julie Harris & James Dean on the set of "East of Eden".

Director Vincent Minnelli in a tranquil moment on a movie set with daughter Liza.

Beautiful Rita Hayworth marries Prince Aly Khan in 1949.

The underrated Sabu slides down a handrail at a train station.

An ecstatic Anne Bancroft.

Shirley Temple with first husband John Agar (looking glum).

Mae West surrounded by men...what else is new?

Ann Miller, Nina Foch & Evelyn Ankers join a lingerie party.

Oscar winner Ray Milland aging gracefully.

Tarzan & Jane in civvies. Maureen O'Sullivan & Johnny Weissmuller play checkers.

ImageImage

A love triangle between Tom Neal, Barbara Payton & Franchot Tone made headlines in 1951.

ImageImage
Former Our Gang member Shirley Jean Rickert in 1955 (she is now 82).

Dinah Shore with husband actor George Montgomery.

Maria Montez as the evil twin Naja in "Cobra Woman" (1944).

Warren Beatty & Natalie Wood dating in 1962.

Oscar winning costume designer Edith Head without her trademark shades.

Lovely Carole Lombard lounging by the pool.
Joseph Goodheart
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Mongo,
All I wanna say to the usually gentle, mild-mannered Ms. Hepburn in that above picture of her giving that paparazzo a drubbing is: "You go, Audrey!!"

I bet that this was one of those pests who tried to take a photo of Audrey with her sons. When she was living in Italy with her second husband they were reportedly constantly threatened with not only invasions of their privacy, but kidnapping, (remember John Paul Getty III's terrible ordeal?). Good for her!
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Joe,

Great thread & keep em coming - so many memories - I'd forgotten most of all this - after all it's been 50 to 60 years ago.

Keenan Wynn's sons were Ned and Tracy and although I only saw Keenan once on the "Kiss Me Kate" set, I never knew him or his children.
I have seen Evie about a half dozen times (she was a friend of Lana Turner) but didn't really know her either.
Never saw Van Johnson.....

James Stewart and Gloria lived down the street from us and I did know Gloria fairly well (she was a friend of my grandmother)..
Her two boys, Ron & Mike, I knew vaguely as they were away at military school.
The daughters were twins, Judy & Kelly, and I have seen them frequently but they were younger than me, so didn't 'play' with them!!!
One of the boys was killed over in Vietnam, but can't remember which one.

It's good to see all their pictures .....

Larry
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

More great photos, Joe.

I have two comments:

Re Boris Karloff - one attractive man. I had a photo of him, which I got from a desk calendar, pinned to the wall of my cubicle at the office. I haven't been able to find it online. It looked to be from the 40s. He is wearing a suit, seated, with legs crossed, holding a cigarette (no moustache, as I remember it). People would stop to look at it, and exclaim "Oh. Who is this handsome man? Is it a movie star?"

And re Claudette Colbert -- wow, even as a baby, she sure was disctinctive-looking, with lots of face space. Like a French baby Betty Boop.
klondike

Post by klondike »

Thought balloon for beefcake Sean: "This ha' best come to somethin', or it's back to tha' loozy Edinburgh milk route!" :?
And for what conceivable reason did Mr. Johnson disown his daughter? If it didn't involve her harming a child, or selling drugs on a playground, he gets the big thumbs-down from me!! :evil:
On an up-note - how delightful Oliver Hardy looks in all his candids! What a delight it must have been to know this man!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Thanks Mongo, I've had a poorly few days, these have made me smile.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

klondike wrote:Thought balloon for beefcake Sean: "This ha' best come to somethin', or it's back to tha' loozy Edinburgh milk route!" :?

Or maybe he was thinking--"This is a damned sight better than being a coffin polisher"
klondike wrote:And for what conceivable reason did Mr. Johnson disown his daughter? If it didn't involve her harming a child, or selling drugs on a playground, he gets the big thumbs-down from me!! :evil:
According to a pretty well documented bio recently published by Ronald Davis called Van Johnson: MGM's Golden Boy, when Van Johnson came out of the closet in the '60s, his relationship with all the children deteriorated terribly. It is very sad, and, since his daughter Shuyler has reportedly had some serious health issues, and Mr. Johnson isn't getting any younger, I really hope that they reconcile someday.
Vecchiolarry wrote:James Stewart and Gloria lived down the street from us and I did know Gloria fairly well (she was a friend of my grandmother)..
Her two boys, Ron & Mike, I knew vaguely as they were away at military school.
The daughters were twins, Judy & Kelly, and I have seen them frequently but they were younger than me, so didn't 'play' with them!!!
One of the boys was killed over in Vietnam, but can't remember which one.
Ronald McLean Stewart, who along with his brother Michael was adopted and raised as his son by the actor, was killed in action in Vietnam in 1969. Reportedly, when Jimmy Stewart was approached by some political-military type to exploit this family event and support that war publicly after this tragedy, Mr. Stewart picked up the individual making this request and showed him the door of his home without of word. God bless 'im.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Moira,

Thanks for the update on Ron being the one who was killed in Vietnam. I thought that's who it was.

It's unbelievable that most of these people on this thread are dead, since when you look at them and see their films, they are so alive and full of life.
Wonderful that they are all 'preserved' on film, both photos and film...

Larry
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Moira, thanks for shedding some light on the Van Johnson and James Stewat families,
Also I agree with you about Audrey Hepburn getting after that photographer.

Larry, always good to read about your recollections regarding the stars and their families that you came in contact with.
I'm glad that the images bring you back to such a time and place.

Judith, Karloff was indeed a handsome gent and if I come across that picure you described I'll post it.

Klondike, of the fabulous team of Laurel & Hardy I was always partial to Ollie. He was a gent that I myself would have liked to have known.

CCfan, under the circumstances, I was glad that I was able to make your day.
Last edited by mongoII on September 15th, 2008, 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

It appears that Mr. Kazan has a bandage on his forehead. A remnant of his alleged physical attack on Timothy Carey on the set of EAST OF EDEN?

Shirley Jean Rickert -- oh, my. Any pix of Darla Hood, my first (TV) screen love (sorry Annette, I saw Darla first)?
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

ChiO, It's possible that the bandage on Kazan's head is the result of his tussel with Carey.

I posted a few images of Darla Hood already, a few pages back.

James Cagney receives the Medal of Freedom in 1984 from President Reagan & Mrs Reagan.

Doris Day visits Judy Garland on the set of "A Star Is Born."

A youthful Agnes Moorehead.

Kim Novak with none other than the great Chill Wills.

Dynamic French duo Simone Signoret & Yves Montand.

Red hot Betty Hutton getting ready to jive.

Oscar winner John Wayne boosting the morale of our troops.

Walter Pidgeon and Frank Morgan cheating at cards...nah.

Fun loving Tallulah Bankhead in ill health.

Frank Sinatra, Alida Valli & Fred MacMurray on the set of "Miracle of the Bells".

Troy Donahue & Peter Brown surrounded by a bevy of beauties (lucky SOBs).

Director, writer, producer Preston Sturges getting away from it all.

Barbara Stanwyck holding her Honorary Oscar in 1982.

Fred Astaire, Ann Miller, Peter Lawford & Irving Berlin on the set of "Easter Parade".

Charlie Chaplin recollecting old memories.

Dirk Bogade has a hold on Brigette Bardot.

Dana Andrews recruited into the Armed Forces during WWII.

Peter Lorre & Dorothy Lamour appear to be gossiping about...we'll never know.

See Dick and Jane happily married (20 years) it's her 5th try.

Audrey Hepburn between two of her favorite directors Billy Wilder & William Wyler.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Love them all Mongo, especially Charlie :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
klondike

Post by klondike »

What I wouldn't gladly give to have been a puppy under the sofa during that card game with Frank Morgan & "Pidj" . . if only for the privilege of listening to two of the finest male voices of Classic Hollywood, just kickin' back & chewin' the fat . . about anything!