Joanne Woodward

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

Joanne Woodward

Post by stuart.uk »

I hope this is appropriate under the circumstances, but I thought it would be good idea to pay tribute to Paul's lovely wife Joanne Woodward.

I was impressed by a young Joanne in Count Three And Pray, where she squats in the house, belonging to new preacher Van Heflin. She at first becomes his tomboyish housekeeper, before falling in love, despite disapproving gossips.

She wasn't expecting to be murdered by the usually nice Robert Wagner in Kiss Me Before Dying and teamed with Paul for Suddenly Last Summer. They married and about a decade later he directed her in one of her best films Rachel, Rachel. Then she cheated on him on screen when she had a fling with Robert Wagner's character in Winning

Of her later films I thought her brilliant in Blind Spot with Dennis Weaver, playing a senior polititian, whose daughter has a drug problem. Sensibly she hides nothing from the press or the media, so she doesn't have to worry about it leaking out. She briefly tgets custody of her grandchild, until her daughter is finally able to resume a responsible lifestyle
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

She was totally awesome in Three Faces of Eve.

"Being married to Paul is being married to the most considerate, romantic man."
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

That's such a nice thing to be said about him. Poor Joanne, married to Paul for so long, I hope she has her nearest and dearest near her to help ease her pain.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Well at least they had the three daughters: Elinor (Nell), Melissa (Missy), and Claire (Clea). What lovely, old fashioned names!

When Paul was once asked if he was ever tempted, he said, "Why go out for a sandwich when you have steak at home?" One reason their marriage lasted for 50 years!
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
inglis

Re: Joanne Woodward

Post by inglis »

stuart.uk wrote:I hope this is appropriate under the circumstances, but I thought it would be good idea to pay tribute to Paul's lovely wife Joanne Woodward.

I was impressed by a young Joanne in Count Three And Pray, where she squats in the house, belonging to new preacher Van Heflin. She at first becomes his tomboyish housekeeper, before falling in love, despite disapproving gossips.

She wasn't expecting to be murdered by the usually nice Robert Wagner in Kiss Me Before Dying and teamed with Paul for Suddenly Last Summer. They married and about a decade later he directed her in one of her best films Rachel, Rachel. Then she cheated on him on screen when she had a fling with Robert Wagner's character in Winning

Of her later films I thought her brilliant in Blind Spot with Dennis Weaver, playing a senior polititian, whose daughter has a drug problem. Sensibly she hides nothing from the press or the media, so she doesn't have to worry about it leaking out. She briefly tgets custody of her grandchild, until her daughter is finally able to resume a responsible lifestyle
Stuart you have brought back a great memory for me .Iloved that film Count Three and Pray .I have not thought of that movie in years and had forgotten about it .I saw it years ago with my Mom .You have mentioned some fine films here. Thanks
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

The one thing I worried slightly about in Count Three And Pray was the fact Joanna's character was only 18 and Van Heflin was about 50 when he made the film.

I liked the scene where a dance hall girl turns tomboy Joanna into a lady to impress the bishop when he arrives to see what's going on between his parson and the young teenager, after someone complains about the situation, only she over does it with the feathers in her hat and almost looks like a dancehall girl herself. Luckily the bishop sees for himself she's a nice girl and a suitable bride to be for Van Helflin's parson