Blank is to Blank: as Blank is to Blank

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
mrsl

Blank is to Blank: as Blank is to Blank

Post by mrsl »

Over in the Men's Room, we did a little experiment and some of us thought it might fly on it's own. We studied Hedy Lamarr and Vivien Leigh as look-a-likes.

So if anyone cares to post side-by-side photos of actors they thing resemble each other, that is what this thread is about.

First off, as I explained, I have no idea how to do photos, so Garbomaniac was nice enough to do it for me.

What about Joan Caulfield, and Joan Fontaine? Caulfield has softer features, but I think Fontaine's are similar.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

I don't know how to do photocopying either so we'll have to rely on those who do.

Let's get a comparison going among Hedy Lamarr, Vivien Leigh, Joan Bennett, Paulette Goddard, Maureen O'Sullivan and Patricia Medina.

Larry
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Anne

Sometimes Stars can look like sportsmen

I know you won't know of him, but I was watching Dancing On Ice and thought actor Jeremy Edwards from Holby City could play tennis ace Tim Henman, if he could master some of the racket skills required.

Likewise if Harrison Ford was 10-yrs younger, spoke with an English accent and could play golf, he could have done The Nick Faldo Story.

In our version of Dancing With The Stars, Strictly Come Dancing, we have presenter Bruce Forsyth (Star and Bedknobs And Broomsticks) and one of the dancers Anton Du Beke. Anton can sing, so provided he could act he'd be the obvious choice to play Mr. Personality Bruce in a movie. The rest of the dancers joke that Anton is his love child and if you had seen the song and dance routine they did together on the show, you'd see the resemblance was uncanny.

Dirk Bogarde-Cliff Richard
Julia Roberts-Carole Smilie
Vivien Leigh-Margaret Lockwood
Charlie Chaplin-Tommy Steele
Kurt Russell-Michael Anderson jnr
Judy Garland-Charlotte Church
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Ok, first is Mrsl. Although I see a resemblance, they really don't look much alike. Fontaine's nose is very long and narrow while Cauldfield's is a turned-up little button. But, they do resemble each other in other ways. What do you think now that they are side by side?

Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Now for Larry, here are all of the gals you listed. They are all stunners and resemble each other in various ways, all except O’Sullivan! Are you sure you wanted HER in this stellar line up?

Holy Smokes, guys! This picture posting is a lot of work! First, I have to find a picture on the net if I don’t already have one that I think goes with the others. I didn’t have anything on O’Sullivan or Medina, and no good ones of Paulette, so that was time consuming. Then, I have to put them on photo shop to resize them for unity, conformity, and moirefinnie! Ha! Then, I have to load all of them into my photobucket, and then write up the posts! It honestly took me two and a half hours to do both Mrsl’s and Larry’s requests! So, if I were either of you, I would just forget about learning how to post pictures! No, seriously it is a lot of fun, but very time consuming.

Stuart, I just didn’t have time to do any of yours!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Wowsers! thanks Garbo, these are incredible pictures. And I'll bet Moira is happy with the sizing, too! :)

I see a bit of a resemblance between Ms O'Sullivan and Ms. Leigh. Especially when Ms. Leigh wasn't too heavily made up.

Patricia Medina looks like an older Hedy, don't you think?

Fab pictures, thank you!
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Thank you James,

You really are the Photoshop Master of the World. I will request a knighthood from The Queen for you forthwith and here-to-fore and pip-pip!!

I guess you're right about poor dear Maureen; she is lovely but no Hedy Lamarr.
But, I have always loved her and thought she was a wonderful vision on screen. I like Mia Farrow too but haven't gone in raptures about her as with her mother!!

In the long run, I guess they made the right decision with Scarlett & Vivien.

Thanks again!!

Larry
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Thanks guys.

Caulfields' quizzical look messes up the first set-up. The left color one looks more like Janis Paige to me. Ahhh, but the braided hair one . . . their cheekbones, mouth, and eyes are all the same!

In the longer line-up by garbomaniac, I'd put Paulette next to Donna Reed, and Maureen O'sullivan next to Sister Mary Lucinda from my high school.

Anne
Anne

melwalton

lookalikes

Post by melwalton »

remember this?
Hedy Lamarr, that creature so fair, they say that Joan Bennett wears all her old hair.

Eady Adams, as a gag and with makeup was the spittin' image of Marilyn Monroe. ... mel
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Well, hey there guys. Thank you for the accolades.

Mrsl, it is almost impossible to find pics of Joan Caulfield. I searched and searched and finally settled on the ones pictured. They aren’t very good. I am a big fan of Joan. Dear Ruth and Dear Wife are two of my all time favorite films. But, I do see the resemblance, and I’ll tell you a secret, I didn’t notice the braid in both pics until you pointed it out. That was either dumb luck, or I have a better eye than I thought!
Now, as for putting Paulette next to Donna Reed, you are right! I hadn’t seen that before, but it could just be the picture, and comparing poor Maureen to a NUN! HA! Now, THAT’s funny!

Larry, thanks, but I really am NOT the master of the world! Ha! You are much too kind. I wish I could colorize. I just can’t figure it out, or maybe my program doesn’t have the right tools. But, I will take the Knighthood! Sir James! I like it! And, I am a big fan of Maureen, too. She was great on her own and as a second to Garbo, Shearer, and Garson. I just saw her in Sadie Was a LADY with Ann Southern in the lead, and she played a very plain, next to unattractive girl. When I was watching it, I thought, “What is the matter with her; she looks so bad.” But, then I realized she hardly had any makeup on at all. But, in David Copperfield, or Great Expectations, I can’t remember which one she was in, she was lovely.

Knitwit, yes Patricia does look like Hedy in that pic. It is also very hard to find pics of Patricia. I didn’t mean to pick one that made her look old. Some stars are very obscure on the net as far as photos.

Mel, yes, I do remember that! And, I always thought Edie looked like Marilyn.
melwalton

lookalikes

Post by melwalton »

Garbo

Is this thread strictly for women lookalikes? Reason I asked, I thought Paul Harvey and Moroni Olson looked a lot alike.

Jane Fonda certainly resembled papa although I don't think Henry was considered for the part of Scarlet.

I liked Harlow much better as a Brownette ... mel
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Hi Mel:

I always thought Jason Robards resembled Bogie a lot, and was not surprised when Lauren Bacall married him after Bogie's death, I thought it was kind of a rebound thing.

Anne
Anne

stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Michelle Lee and Helen Shapiro
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Mel, no, this is not just for women. And, remember it is not I who started this thread. You really should have directed that question to Mrsl. Anyway, again you have picked the most obscure people. I could find only one pic of Moroni, and very few of Paul.

Mrsl, I should have posted side by sides of Humphrey and Jason because I too see the resemblance and always have. I thought the same thing of Bacall years ago.

and Stuart, Michelle Lee and Helen Shapiro?

I hope someone else gets the bug to post look-a-likes. I don't want to hog the thread. And, besides, I need reinforcement.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Garbo

Here's a video of Michelle Lee from Knots Landing followed by another of Helen Shapiro

[youtube][/youtube]