GARBO!

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
charliechaplinfan

Re: GARBO!

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Garbo wore clothes so well, they didn't wear her (apart from that great big bow on one of the above pictures). I like her look, big hips and flatter chest, it doesn't look awkward, it suits her strong features.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Garbo wore clothes so well, they didn't wear her (apart from that great big bow on one of the above pictures). I like her look, big hips and flatter chest, it doesn't look awkward, it suits her strong features.
Alison, I grew up with an Italian mother and four Italian aunts (and I looked in the mirror a lot) -- those don't look like big hips to me!
charliechaplinfan

See what you mean, I should have said that they were big in comparison to other stars of the era and perhaps in relation to her chest. Despite these, I think she looked fabulous. One of the best things about leaving your teens and early twenties is that you can leave the fashion trends behind and start dressing in what really suits you.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Here are some odds and ends I have on Miss G.

John Gilbert and Greta Garbo
"Shown in film scene with famous Swedish actress"
Taken from the Examiner Reference Library January 21, 1936

Would you recognize the Queen of Hollywood, seen here with Antonio Moreno in her second American film, “The Temptress”? She had already been claimed as a Star, thus justifying the choice of Stiller and the faith of Louis B. Mayer.

Greta Garbo in Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pattern - Printed U.S.A.
I have no idea what that means. Is she the pattern? Is she in a pattern?

You might be able to read this one.

IN SWEDEN
Garbo has been less shy of the press in her own country. Here in 1935, she is seen on board the Kungsholm approaching Gothemburg, on her third visit to Sweden.
Garbo gives short answers to all questions. Mostly she says “nothing” or “no”, according to the newspaper reports of her arrival. But, she definitely makes an intelligent impression, a reporter adds.
Greta Garbo is still in Sweden as newspaper men and photographers search for her in vain on board ships to the States. On April 4th, 1936 she is discovered taking a walk with friends (next double-page thread) - Count and Countess Nils Wachtmeister and the poet Fredrik Nycander.

Many people consider that the three greatest actors of our century are Garbo, Chaplin, and Mickey Mouse. Walt Disney drew this tribute to Garbo in 1933.

450 EAST 52nd STREET

Garbo's cul-de-sac

Apartment floor plan.

Guest Greta Garbo pouts between bites of food but holds attention of Brazilian Industrialist Nelson Seabra and Mrs. William Randolph Hearst.

Now, this is the way she should have and could have looked (with her hair fixed a little). Everything was still there; she just didn't care.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

James, my office is just a few blocks from Garbo's former residence, as it is from Hepburn's townhouse, which is nearby, but in the opposite direction. The really nice thing about that area near the East River is that even with the proximity FDR Highway, which is below the building in the photos, the boat traffic, and the foot traffic (lots of people walking their dogs at all hours), it's very quiet there. There are tall buildings only on one side, so you have a feeling of space as well, a precious a feeling in NYC. I love walking around Beekman and Sutton Places at lunchtime; so meditative.
charliechaplinfan

Thanks for those articles. It's really interesting to see the layout of her apartment. It's not at all grand, cosy is more the word. It's intereseting to hear what you have to say too. I can imagine peace and quiet will cost a premium in New York.

Garbo grew up in Stockholm, I wonder if it's part of the reason she chose New York as her home.
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Oh my gosh, jdb1! You walk around Beekman Place! Holy Auntie Mame! I am so jealous. I have never been to New York. In my youth, I moved to San Francisco and lived there for twelve years, but I always just wanted to take off to New York and live there for a few years. I have been trapped here in Stockton, California because my parents live here. I had to come back and be close to them because my worthless brother in Seattle takes no responsibility for them. My mother died in June of last year at the age of 86. My dad will be 90 soon, and I am kinda in and out of his house. Funny thing, he is spry and agile for his age, and he still drives! After he is gone, I will get the money I need to move to New York! Ha! But, I doubt I will move there. I will probably go back to SF. But, I could visit NY and walk around Beekman Place and Garbo's apartment. That would be so cool.

And, yes, ccf, that is exactly why she moved to NY and stayed there. The river and the crowds gave her solace and privacy (to some extent). I'm glad you liked the pictures. I especially liked the apartment schematic. A five bedroom apartment in NY just blows my mind. I must cost a fortune to buy that today!
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Look, James -- a nice Frenchman videoed my lunchtime walk and put it on YouTube.

He walks up East 51st to Beekman Place, which is only two blocks long, and turns South. A lot of the townhouses are now UN Consulates. The camera pans quickly across a small brick house on the corner of East 50th Street (left side of Beekman, on the Southeast corner of the intersection). This house was built and lived in by Irving Berlin and family, and is now the Luxembourg Consulate. The house across East 50th Street from Berlin's home (Northeast corner) has a plaque announcing that it was the residence of Katherine Cornell (it's now for sale). One Beekman Place was the residence of Auntie Mame. There is so much old, old New York money on Beekman Place, and no one feels the need to advertise it. It's the understatement of the street that I really like.

When the camera pans at the end of Beekman Place, you can see a large, modern glass building on across the street that takes up an entire block; this is where I work, on the right side. The first six floors of this complex are commercial, mostly UN-related, and the two towers are residential. Many famous folk have lived, and some still live here (not sure about the current residents, who don't seem to spend much time at home). I believe that Johnny Carson lived in the left side tower (overlooking the East River) when The Tonight Show emanated from NYC. No doubt in my mind that Garbo strolled this route many times.

[youtube][/youtube]
charliechaplinfan

I enjoyed your lunchtime walk and enjoyed a look at where you work. I'd love to know how much that property is up for sale for. I would think between us we wouldn't be able to afford it.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

My online research shows that a property on the opposite corner (not clear whether it's the entire house or just a condominium in the house) sold recently for $17.5 million. A 4-bedroom condo at 30 Beekman Place is listed for $11.25 million. I remember that when Katharine Hepburn died, her townhouse was put up for sale at $6.5 million. From what I've seen and heard about it, it wasn't in very good shape at that time. It was empty for quite a while, and then had some small renovations done, like new windows. Now, it seems it that may have been broken up into apartments -- I saw an online listing for a "sunny townhouse apartment on East 49th Street, off Second Avenue, formerly the home of a major movie star." I don't know if there is a new owner, or it's still in the Hepburn family.
charliechaplinfan

That's really interesting. 17.5 million, I could buy one every week :wink:
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

That was great fun! I can imagine strolling along those streets! You are very lucky, Judith. I hope you appreciate living in the best city in the world with all its history and glamour. I can see my self living there if only I had the money! I watch those "looking for a house" shows on TV. Once in a while they go to Manhattan. Most everything is so expensive. For a one bedroom it costs 2 to 3 hundred thousand in some out of the way corner. Garbo had it great living there. So cooooool.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Garbomaniac wrote:That was great fun! I can imagine strolling along those streets! You are very lucky, Judith. I hope you appreciate living in the best city in the world with all its history and glamour. I can see my self living there if only I had the money! I watch those "looking for a house" shows on TV. Once in a while they go to Manhattan. Most everything is so expensive. For a one bedroom it costs 2 to 3 hundred thousand in some out of the way corner. Garbo had it great living there. So cooooool.
Well, I hope it's quite evident that I'm a proud Native New Yorker. I find it eminently livable here, but then, it's my hometown. My most fervent hope now is that I'll be able to afford living here as I get older; the thought of leaving NYC is kind of scary.

And yes, everything is very expensive here, especially in Manhattan, but since it's such a big and varied place, there's lots to do that's fun and won't break the bank. You just have to be creative and know how to work the angles. I hope you get to see Gotham sometime soon.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

I find it eminently livable here
But I've read...somewhere...that the people talk so LOUD?
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Here are some rare pictures of Garbo at a Premiere:

At Bardelys the Magnificent with King Vidor, Eleanor Boardman, Irving Thalberg and Norma Shearer!

At Flesh and the Devil with Mr. and Mrs. Emil Jannings, Howard Strickling, and Paul Bern (Jean Harlow's Husband)