GARBO!

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Vecchiolarry

Re: GARBO!

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Everyone,

Where is 'Garbomaniac'?? Where is our James?
I have wondered for a few months now; and I hope he is OK....

He prized Greta and Hedy; and I don't like to see someone who appreciated beauty absent from these boards....

Please James, let us know that you're alright!!

Larry
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Garbo is one of the most striking of all film stars. I saw The Temptress from 1926 not too long ago. It was only her second film in America, yet it felt like she was a professional actress of long standing for all the skill she put into the part.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

CinemaInternational wrote: November 11th, 2022, 4:34 pm Garbo is one of the most striking of all film stars. I saw The Temptress from 1926 not too long ago. It was only her second film in America, yet it felt like she was a professional actress of long standing for all the skill she put into the part.
Definitely agree. Wild Orchids is my favorite of her Silents. Garbo is the only actor or actress of whom I have seen their total surviving filmography. Yes, even the fifteen minute Swedish mink coat advert which is her first appearance.
speedracer5

Post by speedracer5 »

Garbo is someone who I didn't "get" for a long time. I haven't seen any of her silent films yet, but I finally saw my first Garbo film during the #PreCodeApril event this year. I watched "Mata Hari." I know that that isn't considered one of her best films, but after seeing it, I "got" Garbo. I then watched "Queen Christina" and I LOVED it. The scene in the hotel room where Garbo and John Gilbert are snowed in is fantastic. This film was definitely one of my favorite films during my big pre-code binge in April. I've seen "Ninotchka," but I haven't *seen* "Ninotchka." I always seem to watch it as background noise. I need to actually watch it.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

speedracer5 wrote: November 11th, 2022, 7:58 pm Garbo is someone who I didn't "get" for a long time. I haven't seen any of her silent films yet, but I finally saw my first Garbo film during the #PreCodeApril event this year. I watched "Mata Hari." I know that that isn't considered one of her best films, but after seeing it, I "got" Garbo. I then watched "Queen Christina" and I LOVED it. The scene in the hotel room where Garbo and John Gilbert are snowed in is fantastic. This film was definitely one of my favorite films during my big pre-code binge in April. I've seen "Ninotchka," but I haven't *seen* "Ninotchka." I always seem to watch it as background noise. I need to actually watch it.
That’s a very funny scene you mention from Queen Christina.

“Would the other gentleman like some coffee with his breakfast too?” :D