The Power of Glamour

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
charliechaplinfan

Re: The Power of Glamour

Post by charliechaplinfan »

That isn't very flattering, is it? I'm thinking that the makeup is too strong too.

I think if you're a man who keeps their hair, the ageing process is quite flattering, even without hair men can look great. I do think women age quicker, or should I say the effects of age don't look as good on a woman. Now am I being terribly sexist saying that?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

I'm not so sure you are. There is a lot more expected of women as far as appearance. Unlike nature, man has made woman the peacock. I'm not sure when that happened. Maybe it was women who moved forward on that to attract men. Anyway, that is why so many gals go under the knife. And, if you are a STAR, the pressure in probably unnerving.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Much is made in the press about Madonna and all her anti ageing routines, age will catch up with her eventually.

At least Cary Grant, Clark Gable and others kept getting hired and in many of the films were still the desirable lead. I can understand the actresses who accepted any role, even bad ones to keep on working, for some, it's all the ever knew from young adulthood onwards.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

That's true. Even if they weren't in films when they were young, they were pretending. Then, after stardom came their way, it all just seemed so natural. It seemed as if it would go on forever. It did for some, but not for others. That is why I am not so sad to see stars die young. It saves them from so much, and often propells them into sainthood.

Just like Michael Jackson, when I heard the news, I said, "That's probably the best thing that could have happened to him."