Julie Andrews - The Last Great Star

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

John

I'm a little out of sink with other Julie Andrews fans, because i prefer her lesser films to the likes of The Sound Of Music and Mary Poppins

my favourite Julie film is The Americanization Of Emily closely followed by Star (loved her Burlington Bertie). i liked her also in Victor/Victoria
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

John, what's your take on Victor/Victoria? It's one of my favorite movies, but as the ultimate J.A. fan (and I am sincere about this, not being silly) how do you like the movie? I think she was at her most incredibly beautiful, her voice was lush, her co-star the best (sigh)...
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

If I'm not being rude.....

I like this movie. It is fun, the songs are pretty good and Julie does a lovely job with them. She's quite beautiful and this was a role that seemed like she could have fun. Being Blake Edwards' film ther is a hint of "Pink Panther" humor in them. Garner is good. I like the scene after they have been dancing. Garner finds a bar for a proper fight to show he's a man. Robert Preston is wonderful. He even has good hair.

The two biggest surprises are Leslie Ann Warren and Alex Karas. Warren is flat out funny. Karas had shown some talent as Mongo but it was hardly a speaking part.

Great sets and costumes. The subject matter is handled in a humorous way. I think it's a fun two hours.

Now back to our regularly scheduled conversation.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

John, I said I was being sincere because I didn't want to step on toes. I know you are the ultimate JA fan, and you certainly have definite opinions about her movies, (Sound of Music, anyone?) so that's why I asked. When. in V/V she does the "Le Jazz Hot" number, and goes clear up the scale, wow!!!! :shock: What a voice. And in case you hadn't figured it out, I'm a Julie fan, too. I'm still looking for "Tamarind Seed". I saved the photo of Omar and Julie on my desktop, have to have a peek now and then....