Gilbert Roland - A Latin Performer Unbounded

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
feaito

Re: Gilbert Roland - A Latin Performer Unbounded

Post by feaito »

I remember watching bits and pieces of the very interesting Richard Brooks film "Crisis" (1950) starring Cary Grant, who plays a doctor stranded in a Latin American country run by a dictator deftly impersonated by José Ferrer (another excellent actor of Latin American descent). Gilbert Roland and Ramón Novarro also appear in this film. I'd like to see this movie in its entirety. Signe Hasso and beautiful Paula Raymond are also in this film.
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Good morning,

Does anyone know the name of a 1950ish film starring Jimmy Stewart as a man looking for offshore oil and Gilbert Roland as a local shrimper ? It's not exactly a big budget film or high drama, but it was entertaining when I watched it on TCM some time ago. It played upon the supposed mutually exclusive goals of the two parties but in the end a "plot twist" provided an unexpected ending. I hope I have my facts straight, as i also seem to somehow, in my mind's eye, see Mr Roland as an ally rather than an adversary. I'm hoping that one of you might be able to recall the movie and set me on the correct path.

Thanks, and as always, Hollis
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

What a great thread, thank you for posting.

Gilbert Roland is mentioned in Clara Bow and Buster Keaton's biographies. Norma Talmadge's films a very difficult to get hold of, a pity that her films haven't been subject to as much restoration as others, she was a major star of her day, we can only see through stills what enticed the audiences.

His best role that I recall him in was as Moonglow in Call Her Savage, another film that deserves better treatment.

April, thanks for starting this thread, Moira you have a gift for writing informative articles, it was a great feature on Gilbert Roland.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hollis wrote:Good morning,

Does anyone know the name of a 1950ish film starring Jimmy Stewart as a man looking for offshore oil and Gilbert Roland as a local shrimper ? It's not exactly a big budget film or high drama, but it was entertaining when I watched it on TCM some time ago. It played upon the supposed mutually exclusive goals of the two parties but in the end a "plot twist" provided an unexpected ending. I hope I have my facts straight, as i also seem to somehow, in my mind's eye, see Mr Roland as an ally rather than an adversary. I'm hoping that one of you might be able to recall the movie and set me on the correct path.

Thanks, and as always, Hollis
Thunder Bay (1953)! With a great cast, led by Stewart and Dan Duryea, Mr. R., went just a scosh over-the-top in that film. I guess he was worried that he might blend into the colorful background, (and he looks like he's having fun wearing what one scholar on Latino actors called his "scene-stealing uniform") :o :
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

charliechaplinfan wrote:What a great thread, thank you for posting.

Gilbert Roland is mentioned in Clara Bow and Buster Keaton's biographies. Norma Talmadge's films a very difficult to get hold of, a pity that her films haven't been subject to as much restoration as others, she was a major star of her day, we can only see through stills what enticed the audiences.

His best role that I recall him in was as Moonglow in Call Her Savage, another film that deserves better treatment.
Yes, Gilbert had a relationship with both those talented ladies. The one with Talmadge was the more serious of the two, though she elected not to marry him. He and Clara did remain friends until her death, and he was one of the few people from her past that she would visit with in person. Once Clara left the business, she left the business.
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Wow am I ever getting to know about Gilbert Roland! Thanks for all the information and fantastic photos everyone! :D The trailer for Thunder Bay is on youtube.
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

feaito wrote:I remember watching bits and pieces of the very interesting Richard Brooks film "Crisis" (1950) starring Cary Grant, who plays a doctor stranded in a Latin American country run by a dictator deftly impersonated by José Ferrer (another excellent actor of Latin American descent). Gilbert Roland and Ramón Novarro also appear in this film. I'd like to see this movie in its entirety. Signe Hasso and beautiful Paula Raymond are also in this film.

Hi Feo!

I can't remember much about Gilbert's role in this movie! I remember Jose Ferrer was colorful and interesting to watch as usual, and Cary Grant looked uncomfortable most of the time in one of his very rare, serious dramas. It's offered now at the Warner Archive DVD site so I'm sure it will start becoming more widely available.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi Hollis!

Like Moira said, the movie is Thunder Bay and it's actually one of my favorite Anthony Mann/James
Stewart collaborations. It's very entertaining and I like the premise of the story. Gilbert's character
is very colorful but he managed to represent the conflicting stakes at hand in the issues. It's an
interesting film also due to its bringing up the impact of oil drilling on the environment at an early date.
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I'm so glad you're enjoying the thread, CharlieChaplinFan! Anything to shine a little
light on our Gilbertito!
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

MissGoddess wrote:
feaito wrote:I remember watching bits and pieces of the very interesting Richard Brooks film "Crisis" (1950) starring Cary Grant, who plays a doctor stranded in a Latin American country run by a dictator deftly impersonated by José Ferrer (another excellent actor of Latin American descent). Gilbert Roland and Ramón Novarro also appear in this film. I'd like to see this movie in its entirety. Signe Hasso and beautiful Paula Raymond are also in this film.

Hi Feo!

I can't remember much about Gilbert's role in this movie! I remember Jose Ferrer was colorful and interesting to watch as usual, and Cary Grant looked uncomfortable most of the time in one of his very rare, serious dramas. It's offered now at the Warner Archive DVD site so I'm sure it will start becoming more widely available.
With Cary Grant in Crisis (1950). Jose Ferrer is the figure on the floor.

One of the interesting aspects of the character played by Gilbert Roland in Crisis is that he is a pragmatic rebel trying to overthrow Jose Ferrer's dictator. As such, the rebel leader GR plays seems to blend idealism with ruthlessness, subtly threatening the brain surgeon Grant and his wife at the same time that his compatriots seek to subvert their own repressive government. By the end of the film, Roland and his friends have gained power, and it is not clear that the country will be better for it, due to the corrupting influences of power.

Btw, Cary Grant reportedly had a great deal of influence over the production of Crisis (1950), promoting Richard Brooks career, even though the talented writer-director behaved poorly to many on the set, though not to Grant.
Cary Grant specifically asked that Roland, Ramon Navarro, Antonio Moreno, and Pedro de Cordoba be cast in roles in this film, since he felt that Hispanic actors should be cast to give the film authenticity, but, according to some reports, also because he knew and respected these actors, some of whose work peaked in the silent era, and Grant felt they could use the work. During filming Richard Brooks was consistently rude to many of the actors, despite Grant's occasional efforts to promote some civility, (though when filming, the meticulous actor was reportedly often too absorbed in his own characterization to notice much). When former MGM star Ramon Navarro was not given his own chair on the set of the film, Gilbert Roland "created such an uproar it reached Mayer's office." Navarro was treated with a bit more respect after this incident, but his fragile health led to a period of hospitalization after this stressful experience.

Despite these off-camera unpleasantries, it would have been a good choice for the festival on TCM, since Crisis (1950) tries to show a more than 2 dimensional view of Latin American politics and the residents of one fictional country.

Several books support this description of Crisis (1950), including Charles Ramírez Berg's book mentioned earlier in this thread, André Soares' book on Navarro, and Ramon Novarro by Allan R. Ellenberger.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Fascinating insights onto the making of Crisis. Sounds like the movie was aptly titled.
I read in a couple of Grant bios that he wasn't happy with this film, possibly because
it didn't do well financially? I don't think he ever did another straight drama afteward.

I remember being rather disappointed by the film, but I have to see it again.

During filming Richard Brooks was consistently rude to many of the actors, despite Grant's occasional efforts to promote some civility...

Stuff like this always amazes me. I cut veterans some slack if they behave poorly, at
least they have the excuse of years of hearing how great they are and it goes to
their head---furthermore, they've at least accomplished something.

But when a new guy, someone green, relatively unproven and working with PROS---not
a bunch of novices like himself---acts like a prima donna then I feel contempuous.
I never heard that about Brooks before, I hope he straightened out later on. Maybe he
was just terrified by all the pressure. Don't people realize such behavior can
bury their careers befroe they start?
-- Will Rogers
feaito

Post by feaito »

All this talk about the making of Crisis makes me want to see the film even more!! :D
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

MissGoddess wrote:Fascinating insights onto the making of Crisis. Sounds like the movie was aptly titled.
I read in a couple of Grant bios that he wasn't happy with this film, possibly because
it didn't do well financially? I don't think he ever did another straight drama afteward.
After doing People Will Talk and The Easy Way, (aka Room For One More), Grant talked seriously about retiring since neither film was considered a financial success. While he did some comedies, the film that seems to have pushed Cary over the edge and made him only focus on rather lighter movies after making it seems to have beenThe Pride and the Passion (1957), the one about Cary, Sophia Loren and Frank Sinatra trying to stop the Napoleonic forces in Spain. Of course, that one had its off-screen dramas as well.
MissGoddess wrote:During filming Richard Brooks was consistently rude to many of the actors, despite Grant's occasional efforts to promote some civility...

Stuff like this always amazes me. I cut veterans some slack if they behave poorly, at least they have the excuse of years of hearing how great they are and it goes to
their head---furthermore, they've at least accomplished something. But when a new guy, someone green, relatively unproven and working with PROS---not
a bunch of novices like himself---acts like a prima donna then I feel contempuous.
I never heard that about Brooks before, I hope he straightened out later on. Maybe he was just terrified by all the pressure. Don't people realize such behavior can
bury their careers befroe they start?
I think that your point about Brooks perhaps being frightened (and not admitting it to himself or anyone else) may have been part of the problem. I think Brooks had talent as a writer first, and, from reading interviews with him, he saw himself as a liberal firebrand, and a former Marine with something to prove to Hollywood's intellectually lazy studios, (there's a really good interview with him is in one of Patrick McGilligan's Backstory series about screenwriters--sorry I cannot recall which one at the moment). Don't you think that the macho atmosphere that prevailed on movie sets in many instances, from John Ford to Henry Hathaway to Woody Van Dyke and others, may have contributed to new directors believing that this was how you command respect?

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I know this is a thread about Gilbert Roland but I do fins it very heartening that a big star like Cary Grant would make sure that friends from the old days get employment. I know Cary isn't the only star to have done this, it is nice to find out about it.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I think that your point about Brooks perhaps being frightened (and not admitting it to himself or anyone else) may have been part of the problem. I think Brooks had talent as a writer first, and, from reading interviews with him, he saw himself as a liberal firebrand, and a former Marine with something to prove to Hollywood's intellectually lazy studios, (there's a really good interview with him is in one of Patrick McGilligan's Backstory series about screenwriters--sorry I cannot recall which one at the moment). Don't you think that the macho atmosphere that prevailed on movie sets in many instances, from John Ford to Henry Hathaway to Woody Van Dyke and others, may have contributed to new directors believing that this was how you command respect?

He may have had those old timers in mind yes, or his C.O. from the service, ha!!

Too bad he obviously didn't hang around them long enough to learn you pay your
dues first and earn the right to be bossy.
-- Will Rogers