Gilbert Roland - A Latin Performer Unbounded

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Gilbert Roland - A Latin Performer Unbounded

Post by moira finnie »

charliechaplinfan wrote:I know this is a thread about Gilbert Roland but I do fins it very heartening that a big star like Cary Grant would make sure that friends from the old days get employment. I know Cary isn't the only star to have done this, it is nice to find out about it.
Hi Alison,
I included that info about Cary Grant because he so often seems to be considered a rather self-centered actor. In actuality, I think he always makes other actors look their best on screen in any scene with him, often bringing them up to his accomplished level. It was refreshing to read that his generosity could exist in his off-screen professional life as well.
MissGoddess wrote:[Richard Brooks] may have had those old timers in mind yes, or his C.O. from the service, ha!! Too bad he obviously didn't hang around them long enough to learn you pay your dues first and earn the right to be bossy.
I'm not sure if this is how Brooks behaved throughout his directorial career, but have read that this was his modus operandi in his early films. Since MGM, where Crisis (1950) was made, was in a state of flux, losing revenue, cutting off long term personnel and making the shift from Mayer to Dore Schary, perhaps that made being a newbie there more intimidating, bringing out the bear in Brooks.

In any case, here are a few more photos of Mr. R.:
Even he could have a bad hair day! Though probably older, he looks about 16 in this photo.

With Dorothy Lamour in The Last Train from Madrid (1937), a drama centered around the Spanish Civil War. Though some present day reviewers seem to find this clichéd, I'd like to see it because GR is in it, as well as Lew Ayres and Karen Morley. It would be interesting to compare it with Blockade (1938), another Hollywood attempt to address this "dress rehearsal" for WWII that took place on Spanish soil.

With Dolores del Rio out on the town. What a striking pair they must have made in public, (though I've no idea if they were really more than friends).
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Oooh, Moira, you're just juicing up this thread with all these marvelous pictures!!!!!!!

I LOVE seeing him with my favorite mexican actress after Katy Jurado---Dolores del Rio. Mamm mia, what a stunning pair. If I walked into the club and saw them I would just have to turn around and go home. :lol:

I am DYING to see Last Train from Madrid---I really like movies about Spain and to see Gilbert with Dottie would be divine. I'm going to suggest it at TCM for what it's worth.

Do you mind if I post these pix in my "sister" thread at TCM?

P.S. People thought Cary was a self-centered actor? Isn't that a redundancy? :P :P :P
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

Here's a portrait from the lost Camille of 1927.

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

SWOON!!!!!!!!! Now THAT is my idea of Armand Duvall......
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Gilbert with Clara Bow in Call Her Savage

Gilbert with Mae West in She Done Him Wrong

GR with Peter Lorre (foreground) in The Bid Circus

Honey bunch!!! :x

GR with Helen Gilbert and John Howard in 1942's Isle of Missing Men...just across
the bay from the Island of Doomed Men :D

Drooley!! with Mike Romanoff and Ginger Rogers (below) at the Motion
Picture Tennis Championships. Look how well dressed they are for tennis!!!

-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

MissGoddess wrote:I am DYING to see Last Train from Madrid---I really like movies about Spain and to see Gilbert with Dottie would be divine. I'm going to suggest it at TCM for what it's worth.
Me, too. As a matter of fact, I'd like to see a day of movies related to the Spanish Civil War, including Last Train From Madrid...

For Whom the Bell Tolls
Blockade
The Fallen Sparrow
Confidential Agent
The Snows of Kilimanjaro
Behold a Pale Horse
The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie
The Angel Wore Red
Belle Epoque

Some Documentaries:
The Spanish Earth (the doc that Hemingway used to raise funds for those caught in the war)
The Good Fight: The Abraham Lincoln Brigade in the Spanish Civil War

There are probably lots more, and I bet Fernando could name plenty that I haven't.

MissGoddess wrote:Do you mind if I post these pix in my "sister" thread at TCM?
Not at all. Here are a few more:
The picture of confidence, eh? From Around the World in 80 Days

I'm not sure where I found this early photo, though perhaps others may identify it. However, I don't think the hat does much for him, do you?

Below: with Connie again in After Tonight...look at his eyelashes. :o

Uh-oh. Are we having fun yet?
MissGoddess wrote:P.S. People thought Cary was a self-centered actor? Isn't that a redundancy? :P :P :P
Duh, no kidding--but you know what I mean--there are camera hogs and then there are people who are collaborators.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
feaito

Post by feaito »

I'm almost certain that the photograph you posted is from The Love Mart (1927), in which he starred opposite Billie Dove, who also appears in the picture.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

I remember Gilbert as Don Domingo Montoya, replacing the late Don Sebastian as the owner of Rancho Montoya in The High Chapperal. It seems Don Sebastian tired of waiting for his son Mono to grow up and take his responsibilities seriously, so he handed the ranch over to what I assume was his brother
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I'm getting the sense from the silent pictures that Gilbert played rather shy or naive types alot?? Then he shows he can play the really confident, macho type later on. Quite a range.
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

stuart.uk wrote:I remember Gilbert as Don Domingo Montoya, replacing the late Don Sebastian as the owner of Rancho Montoya in The High Chapperal. It seems Don Sebastian tired of waiting for his son Mono to grow up and take his responsibilities seriously, so he handed the ranch over to what I assume was his brother

Hi Stuart!

I have the whole series recorded so I have to go back over those episodes where Gilbert stepped in and see what the explanation was. I'm really looking forward to that, another reason this series is my favorite.
:D
-- Will Rogers
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Hi Miss G

As you know I thought it would be a great idea to have brought the series back 20 to 30 yrs on. In fact someone suggested a while back I could attempt to right one myself.

It would be good to seen Blue, Mono and Victoria in middle-age
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Lovely pictures Moira.

Call Her Savage is a brilliant picture, have TCM ever restored it, I've only ever seen a grimy bootleg print.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

stuart.uk wrote:Hi Miss G

As you know I thought it would be a great idea to have brought the series back 20 to 30 yrs on. In fact someone suggested a while back I could attempt to right one myself.

It would be good to seen Blue, Mono and Victoria in middle-age
Perhaps others recall, but I seem to remember that GR was brought into The High Chaparral as Manolito and Victoria's reprobate uncle (a gambler and a bit of a conman as I recall) after the death of the talented Frank Silvera caused them to write their rascally father out of the series.
charliechaplinfan wrote:Lovely pictures Moira.

Call Her Savage is a brilliant picture, have TCM ever restored it, I've only ever seen a grimy bootleg print.
As far as I know, Call Her Savage has not appeared on TCM, but is the property of the Fox Movie Channel here in the U.S., (FMC shows a very mixed bag of truly classic movies made at 20th Century Fox along with some awful stuff). The print that I've seen on FMC has been quite good, so is it possible that Fox owns the original negative or at least some decent prints?

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Thank you both, Moira and MissG (I have to admit I've forgotten your name)

My next stop will be to TCM.com to request a rebroadcast of Thunder Bay. As I said, in case anyone wants to take me at my word, It really is a more than casually entertaining movie (aside from Mr Roland's performance, it's also one of a very few films to star Jimmy Stewart in which he doesn't wear a brown suit !) B&W films notwithstanding.

As always, Hollis
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

I adore him in Our Betterswith Constance as the flaky playboy, Pepe. I think it's a very funny and very glamorous movie and he liked the glamour of old Hollywood so I think it's okay that it's my favorite, although not 'heavyweight' role. Regarding his twice a day shaving, he's asked suspiciously in Our Betters, "A shave? A four o'clock in the afternoon?" Maybe it was true! (He was caught red-handed in the tea house later, however.)

Thanks to you all for the many titles and beautiful pictures. I'll be looking for them in the future. B