Clark Gable

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
mrsl

Re: Clark Gable

Post by mrsl »

What a dream of a place :!: :!: :!: I'm not big on European vacations unless you've seen America first, and believe it or not, we do have a few places equal to that. But the romance of Italy is the one place I always wanted to experience. I would have made it if Mr. L had not died so early. Montana and Jackson Hole, Wyoming are two places I can think of off the top of my head. I've only missed 12 states but think I've done a pretty good job of seeing the U.S.A., but not in a Chevrolet :!: :!: :lol: :P

Take it from me, we Italians can really raise the roof when the moment presents itself, and arguments are just like Nando and his aunt.

Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

jdb1 wrote:Say, ladies -- don't forget to brush your teeth with whiskey while you are there!

I noticed that, how bizarre!
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Miss G - I found these photos and thought you might be interested. I don't know if you have seen them before. I thought they were incredible! They were taken by photographer Eve Arnold on location of The Misfits.

charliechaplinfan

They're lovely, are there anymore that you can post either here or on the Misfits thread.

I saw some coloured photos from The Misfits, Marilyn's makeup looks quite gaudy in them but in black and white it's perfect.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

oh m GOSH JACKIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THOSE ARE SIMPLY STUNNING!
I have a book of photos from the set of The Misfits but I don't think most of those were included and
I've never seen them...thank you SO MUCH!!

I love the one of him with his wife Kay, oh, it makes me weak in the knees....how fortunate she was, and how sad she was going to lose him within weeks.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

CCfan, I have many pix from The Misfits I'll try to post later.
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I don't have any more, I am sorry to say.

I had a feeling that these might have been kind of rare. I don't know for sure, but I am assuming that they were found in someone's estate or possibly Eve Arnold herself donated them. I found them on an auction site recently. The auction was closed already, so bidding is out of the question, unfortunately.

My favorite is the one where Gable is looking down, wearing jeans and holding a leather bound script or something. He has the most genuine, open, sweet look on his face, almost shy. I just love that look...
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

THE MISFITS:
(Click to enlarge)

-- Will Rogers
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

JackFavell wrote:Miss G - I found these photos and thought you might be interested. I don't know if you have seen them before. I thought they were incredible! They were taken by photographer Eve Arnold on location of The Misfits.
Oh this is the most wonderful photograph (to me). The look on her face tells you all you need to know about how she felt (as a girl) and how she still felt about Gable, and the look on his face is sweetness itself.
charliechaplinfan

My favorite picture apart from the one directly above is the one of Marilyn with Monty bending over her, she seems to entrance both men and they both look protective of her.

I love The Misfits.
charliechaplinfan

Ladies, I got to see Cain And Mabel today a 1936 film starring Marion Davies and Clark Gable. Clark plays Larry Cain, a prizefighter. I only wish I knew how to do screen shots, there was ample opportunity to gaze on those pecs and that chest.

Get it on your rental lists :wink:
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Ooh, I'm so glad to hear it's out there for rental. I will put it on my list, thanks ccfan!
-- Will Rogers
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

MissGoddess wrote:
charliechaplinfan wrote:Heck, should we all go and spend a week in Capri? That film makes me feel like having a holiday.

Count me in!!!

Wow, I'm so there! Count me in.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Happy Birthday, Mr. G. Here are a couple of takes on his enduring appeal. I think I like the last, light-hearted video best, though the second one has the best use of music and imagery. Who was that man?

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

Here's a 1975 documentary which features on-camera interviews with several of his contemporaries:
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell