Clark Gable

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
charliechaplinfan

Re: Clark Gable

Post by charliechaplinfan »

His and hers, so cute.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I love this one of Clark and Gene Tierney!

(click to enlarge)

"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh, they are so CUTE! She is so tiny compared to him, he is so protective. They look like they are having such a nice laugh. After reading all the ....well.... dreck about the stars, the low points in their lives,and such, I forget that sometimes they were just normal.....great looking, but normal. It's good to see it.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Aren't they? I love the relaxed naturalness of it, too. According to Gene's autobiography,
they got along very well. It shows.
-- Will Rogers
charliechaplinfan

Judith I know you told me to watch It Started In Naples, well I rented it out, what a pleasant way to spend an hour and a half. I didn't know whether to admire Capri or Gable the most and Sophia Loren grows on me.

BTW I never noticed before but Vittorio De Sica has more than a look of Charlie Chaplin.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Judith I know you told me to watch It Started In Naples, well I rented it out, what a pleasant way to spend an hour and a half. I didn't know whether to admire Capri or Gable the most and Sophia Loren grows on me.

BTW I never noticed before but Vittorio De Sica has more than a look of Charlie Chaplin.

I'm glad you enjoyed this lovely movie, Alison. I watch it quite often, and find more things about it to admire each time, the cinematography included. Gable made quite a few comedies, but I think this one is one of his best, and his onscreen chemistry with Loren is surprisingly good, isn't it? I agree about De Sica -- quite handsome and distinguished in a Chaplin-like way, and he gives a very wry performance in this movie.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

jdb1 and CCF:

And what about Nando? Didn't you just want to hug him and wash his mouth out at the same time? I loved the arguments between him and Sophia, they yelled at each other like husband and wife instead of nephew and aunt. That little guy was adorable though. I wonder if he actually said some of his lines or if they had them dubbed by someone else. In fact, if he's as Italian as he seemed to be, maybe he just spoke phonetically and had no idea what the words meant.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
charliechaplinfan

They did have brilliant chemistry and the arguments netween aunt and nephew. The Italians must qualify as the noisiest and volatile nation on earth, no insult intended, it's meant as a compliment.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Gad, I would give anything to have that apartment Sophia has in Capri....it makes me drool just thinking
about the view....quite possibly one of the most beautiful on planet earth. (The view of Gable and Sophia
isn't so bad, either).

Nando is precious and I do see what you mean about Vittorio. <SIGH> Those Italian men...it's a sin
how handsome they can be...
-- Will Rogers
charliechaplinfan

Heck, should we all go and spend a week in Capri? That film makes me feel like having a holiday.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Heck, should we all go and spend a week in Capri? That film makes me feel like having a holiday.

Count me in!!!

-- Will Rogers
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Should I start packing???? All I need is a toothbrush and my passport....
charliechaplinfan

Me too! I need some sun, not to mention the sightseeing (buildings and people) and cafe culture. Better start saving.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Say, ladies -- don't forget to brush your teeth with whiskey while you are there!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

If I can't get Black Jack, can I use Chianti????