Clark Gable

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
myrnaloyisdope

Re: Clark Gable

Post by myrnaloyisdope »

Joan Blondell and Gable??? Craziness.

I read Joan's bio, and don't remember anything about Joan and Gable in a picture together, but I'm very intrigued. Is the film any good?

As for thoughts on Gable himself, well I'm skeptical of his versatility, I find him very fun to watch. He's magnetic and energetic.

Though in Myrna's autobiography she talks about how Gable was really quite talented, and could have really stretched himself as an actor, but was so insecure (especially after the flop of Parnell), that he wouldn't take risks, and instead played it safe doing Clark Gable in film after film.
"Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?" - The Magnetic Fields
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi Myrna,

The movie is Adventure, his first film after returning from the war and his last with Victor
Fleming. It wasn't a big hit and it's very uneven, however Blondell and Tommy Mitchell help the procedings along considerably and it's worth seeing at least once. Gable's leading lady is Greer Garson, Joanie played her friend.

"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

"Gable's back, and Garson's got him!" as the posters of the time said.

What a nice photo -- who wouldn't want to be in Garson's position?
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm an arm girl, and I gotta say, he's got nice ones....

strong and manly.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

JackFavell wrote:I'm an arm girl, and I gotta say, he's got nice ones....

strong and manly.

Were we separated at birth??? Hands down, hands and arms SEND me to the moon! I'm telling you,
it can be a deal breaker, lol, what those hands and arms look like. I better go splash cool water on
my face now......

Looky Looky!

Never Let Me Go with Gene Tierney (a rarely shown favorite of mine)

Soldier of Fortune, one of my favorite of his later movies...

:D
Image[/color]
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I don't know if I already posted this one, but I have to again just because I love it...

-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh oh oh.....

He had perfect arms! I like them to be manly, but not bulked up so much that they look cartoony. I like a man with strong shoulders and almost graceful wrists. Gable had it all.... he also has beautiful hands, again, very strong looking, but not like big hams....
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Can all of you, across the globe, hear me sighing? I'm with you JF - I like manly arms too, which is probably why I'm such a baseball fan. [Sigh]

OK -- I'll stop now.

[Sigh]

Ooops! Sorry.

[. . . . . .]
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

What a thrill switching on and seeing all these Clark Gable pictures. I love the one of him with his fans, just shows what a swell guy he was.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Oh, Miss G., I am loving your photos of Gable -- my favorites are the shirtless one on the boat (it's hot enough here in Boca!!! Oh, my!),
ADVENTURE with him and Greer underneath a tree (really beautiful), the elbow-resting-on-knee candid from SOLIDER OF FORTUNE,
in a tux accepting his Oscar for IHON (the academy should have waited 5 years for GWTW), and all the candids, which I've never seen before. Really lovely.

You know, back in the day, I always appreciated Clark as an actor and a supreme masculine screen presence, even if I wasn't attracted to him physically -- since I always went for the leaner, more "sensitive" looking types. However, the older I get, I find that the rugged, even burly physiques are the ones I find sexy -- Tom Santschi, for example.
There is a "protectiveness" about them and, as you say regarding Gable, a "huggability", that I find comforting. I prefer Clark with his mustache, I think it gives him a loveable rogue-ish quality, but doesn't diminish his all-American appeal.

Your comments about Gable being the real working class, everyman guy with an instinctual wariness in order to survive are quite perceptive, and I tend to agree with you. Also for me there are interesting undercurrents to his persona. Beneath the self-confident manliness, I always sensed he was questioning the world (it might be that wariness you speak of) and that made him vulnerable and therefore I would label him sensitive. There is nothing overbearing or threatening about his sexuality. He IS like a big bear, he may growl, but his bark was definitely worse than his bite. He was just a big sweetie-pie. I always appreciated his natural acting style, it seemed very organic. I love him as an aging cowboy (i.e., THE TALL MEN), the apogee being THE MISFITS. In my book he was underrated as an actor.

I felt he totally deserved the title of "King".
Last edited by Bronxgirl48 on June 25th, 2009, 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

People love to bash stars...or play devil's advocate with their reputations, but you NEVER hear anyone debating whether Gable should have been "King" or not.....
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Thank you for your comments, Lady B! You always have such a way with words...

Comrade X with Hedy Lamarr

-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

More from Comrade X...

-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Bronxgirl48 wrote:I always appreciated his natural acting style, it seemed very organic. I love him as an aging cowboy (i.e., THE TALL MEN), the apogee being THE MISFITS. In my book he was underrated as an actor.

Me too, Lady B. I love the "weight" that is in those characters, especially "Gay" in The Misfits.

Across the Wide Missouri

A King and Four Queens (love the tongue-in-cheek quality of this western):

Lone Star

The Tall Men

-- Will Rogers
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Thank you, Goddess. Oh, I forgot to mention ACROSS THE WIDE MISSOURI, which along with THE TALL MEN are the only 50's westerns of Clark's I've seen (or can remember) ATWM has some of the most beautiful scenery, too.

I love your "weight" description of these mature characters. Also, I think Gable had this wonderful aging lion quality about him in the later years -- he never lost that special masculine charisma that was his and his alone; in fact, it just ripened as the world changed and film became more realistic. He wasn't some romantic "relic" from another age -- he was always, eternally, (as my mother says) "A MAN".