CARY GRANT

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
JackFavell

Re: CARY GRANT

Post by JackFavell »

Both of you wrote so eloquently! It was perfection, Maven.

I'm mostly looking forward to next week's lineup and the showings on the 22nd-23rd. All Cary, all the time! :D
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Yes, the heart of Cary Grant seems to be ( for me ) the week of the 22nd. Here's a man who got better looking as he got older. Lovin' Cary.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It was fun watching Cary before he was Cary, but mostly I like him from Topper forward...with a couple of exceptions. I would love to see some of Cary's other 1930's films, the ones we never see anymore.

Now imagine you are an actor, and you have this string of hits in a row:

1937 Topper

1937 The Toast of New York

1937 The Awful Truth

1938 Bringing Up Baby

1938 Holiday

1939 Gunga Din

1939 Only Angels Have Wings

1939 In Name Only

1940 His Girl Friday

1940 My Favorite Wife

1940 The Howards of Virginia

1940 The Philadelphia Story

1941 Penny Serenade

1941 Suspicion

1942The Talk of the Town

OK OK... so The Toast of New York and The Howards of Virginia aren't the greatest... but in the scheme of things, they are pretty darn good for an actor's biggest flops! Compared to some of my old theater war stories, I'd take them any day. And I defy anyone to claim a better run than the rest of Cary's career.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

If THE HOWARDS OF VIRGINIA is the worst movie I see this year, I'll consider it a win. It's not a good movie, but it's not offensive. It's just a movie!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

CineT-

I like your use of the word elegant. I've always thought that is very much the way Grant carried himself. Even standing around with his hands in his pockets he still managed to exude class. Like WIlliam Powell, Grant could wear a suit. Put some men in one and they still come off looking like an unmade bed. Grant could usually take the most casual clothes (Monkey Business) and still come off well.

Grant's deserved great success as a comedy actor, I think, overshadowed his occasional dramas. They weren't always as good but he could pull it off just the same. "Notorious" and "People Will Talk" are fine examples. Even "Crisis" which I think is a bit of a stretch gives a chance for a fine performance for Grant. (Nothing you don't already know.)

About the hardest role to accept Grant in, at first, is "Father Goose." One does not associate drunken slob with him which makes me think that is why he did it. But, as usual, you warm up to him.

Check out "Walk, Don't Run" this month. (Dec 29/30 4:45am if you haven't seen it.) It is not as good as "The More The Merrier" but it is fun. The twist in this remake is it is easy to see Grant as a romantic alternative to Jim Hutton that Charles Coburn clearly could not be in the original/

Enjoyed your essay.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

MovieMan...thank you so much. When a person talks about Cary Grant...one tries to rise to the occasion. He really is unique. Thanx again.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

"The Eagle and The Hawk" is a WWI drama about pilots and their observers and the dangers of the work. Starring Frederic March, Grant and Jack Oakie. Carole Lombard also gets a significant billing but she is only in one scene.

Our three stars are Americans dispatched to France to help the British flyers do recon flights over German territory. March hits a string of bad luck when several of his observers are killed in action. The problem is they sit right behind him in the planes and he comes through without a scratch. After a few of these incidents the losses start to wear on him. Finally, Grant shows up after March had declined to include him in the initial crew and they do well together - until Grant does something March doesn't appreciate. The death toll on both sides really gets to March and he starts to crack under the pressure.

It's a good drama. March is particularly good as he shows the wear and tear on his character. Oakie is his typical wisecracking self and Grant is fine if a bit severe in his character who is at odds with March at first but comes to respect him.

Fine aerial photography, some borrowed from "Wings," and atmosphere help make this a good one to watch. Clocking in at about 80 minutes. One thing that did catch my eye was that Mitchell Leisen was the associate director.

Not unlike "The Dawn Patrol" I think it is worth checking out.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."