Errol Flynn

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Jezebel38

Re: Errol Flynn

Post by Jezebel38 »

Thanks for posting this Moira! Just watched it - Flynn does a very nice turn in this movie, including a soft shoe number with Neagle. He is in about the last 2/3's of the film. Anna Neagle's got a couple other dance production numbers in this - she looks darned good for being 50 years old!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

To be looked forward to, no chance before the kids go back to school but one to look forward to.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

Wow! There's a Loretta Young epidemic :wink: ...Love your Loretta avatar too Moira.

I have been so happy holidaying here in the South of Chile, off work, that I could die right now... :wink:
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

No dying Feaito. No no no. More writing, when you get a chance.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
feaito

Post by feaito »

CineMaven wrote:No dying Feaito. No no no. More writing, when you get a chance.
Figuratively speaking my friend, to die of happiness... :wink:
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Aaaaaah, si. :)
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

My sisters should be on this message board. Come to think of it, Mom would have liked this too!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'm reading Phillippa Gregory's book called The Other Boleyn Girl, it struck me that her descriptions of Henry are pure Errol Flynn. He should have played the young Henry. Can you imagine it, Errol as Henry with Bette Davis as Katherine of Aragon?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Absolutely! Oh that would have been glorious! You have a great eye for casting characters.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Image Image
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Image Image[/quote]

You took the words right out of my mouth.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Great Picture of Flynn and de Havilland here ... so enduring and yet romantic to the heart.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Two of Errol Flynn's earlier and more obscure films are on the TCM schedule on Thursday, Jan. 9th.

1:30 PM (ET)
Green Light (1937)
An idealistic doctor sacrifices his career to protect an elderly surgeon.
Dir: Frank Borzage Cast: Errol Flynn , Anita Louise , Margaret Lindsay .
BW-85 mins, TV-G, CC
One of Frank Borzage's less well known films, but worth seeing for Errol Flynn's quiet and very good performance, Spring Byington's memorable cameo, and a beautiful Irish Setter. The always welcome sight of Anita Louise features her gentle warmth, Margaret Lindsay is annoyingly dedicated but usually right, and the mostly fine Cedric Hardwicke as an "inspirational" clergyman seems to be preparing for his role as Frollo in The Hunchback of Notre Dame. I usually like some films made from Lloyd Douglas stories (White Banners and this one in particular), but this movie is interesting because it documents the loneliness of being self-sacrificing rather than the spiritual release it may or may not give a person.
Here's a clip:

[youtube][/youtube]
Anita Louise and Margaret Lindsay with Flynn in Green Light.

Anita Louise with Cedric Hardwicke.

Errol, Anita, and the real star of this movie.

3:00 PM (ET)
The Sisters (1938)

Three western girls make unhappy marriages at the turn of the century.
Dir: Anatole Litvak Cast: Errol Flynn , Bette Davis , Anita Louise .
BW-99 mins, TV-PG, CC

An early Anatole Litvak film in America with another intriguing performance by Errol Flynn, this time as a writer whose delusions of being Jack London (and drinking like him) leads him down a discontented path. Along for the stroll is his wife, Bette Davis, who is quietly luminous here (not something Bette let herself be much). Bette is one of three sisters who do not have the happiest of marriages (Jane Bryan and Anita Louise play her siblings). I particularly like the way that the story, based on a best seller by Myron Brinig with a script by Milton Krims, is framed by presidential elections. The cast, which includes Beulah Bondi, Henry Travers, Lee Patrick, Ian Hunter and every character actor in need of work in Hollywood sprawls, but Flynn's lost soul gives it considerable poignancy.
The three sisters, Jane Bryan, Anita Louise, and Bette Davis greet their suitors.

Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Darla

Post by Darla »

I think this thread has been quiet for quite awhile, but I just wanted to share this video I recently made to celebrate Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland as one of the greatest onscreen duos. They are so beautiful together - I thought this video might be enjoyed here. Hopefully I'm not breaking any rules by posting. :smiley_heartbounce:

The best is yet to come