MYRNA!

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Vecchiolarry

Re: MYRNA!

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Fernando,

I have never seen "Love Me Tonight" but I will have to get a copy and watch it. I have heard that Myrna is great in the picture but keep forgetting to view it....

I never met Jeannette MacDonald (but saw her once in concert); but have heard that she could be quite difficult. Louis B. Mayer loved her and thought she was good culturally for the studio and that is why she went to MGM. Adolph Zukor did not and thought she was a 'big problem'....
I knew Robert Z. Leonard and he was quite proud of her and let her have 'cart blanche' on his movies. Mary Boland was not a fan either and I think (she hinted) that she did a lot of meaningful scene stealing in her movie with her. I have never seen "The New Moon" either, so if you have, maybe you can tell us!!!

My Jeanette MacDonald story:
I went to a JMD concert in NYC with Merle Oberon around 1957 and was seated between her and Loretta Young; Irene Dunne sat next to Loretta and her husband.
After the concert, we all attempted to go backstage and congratulate her but she refused to see anyone. Irene said that Jeannette probably didn't want to associate with mere Hollywood people anymore. She always wanted to be a big opera star and not just a movie star!!!
I think Irene was right...

Larry
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

The Prizefighter and the Lady is an excellent comedy-melodrama with music that every Myrna fan should see. I am not a great big fan of hers, but I liked her a lot in this one. Max Baer was very, very good, and could have had more of an acting career with the right material. He and Loy had great chemistry, as Loy did with the movie's other stars, Otto Kruger and Walter Huston. This one is what the movie historians like to call and "unsung gem."
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I love that still of Myrna and Cary, what a handsome couple. I must see The Prizefighter and the Lady, I've heard so much about it, Judith's recommendation and that still make me want to see it more.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I introduced my bride to Double Wedding tonight. She loved it and I was reminded how wonderful William Powell can be when he is let loose. Myrna starts out against type as this uptight, by the rules woman who plans on getting her little sister married to the right man and it is certainly not Powell. Wonderful throw away lines and little pieces of business. Loy blossoms into lovable lady much against her will. Film has wonderful climax in crowded travel trailer.

It is not well known but find it if you can. It sure is a fine way to spend 90 minutes.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."