Agnes Moorehead

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
mrsl

Re: Aggie's Place -- Open 24 Hours

Post by mrsl »

Professional Tourist:

You said, "I've thought that she was naturally a very neurotic person and that her displays of emotion were genuine as such -- although I have recognized that she could slant a story and otherwise dissemble in the effort to produce desired reactions in others,"

Actually you used a better word than I did with neurotic than phoney. It's true her neuroses came through as cracks in her character. Between her saying things without telling the complete story, whining about how she could have been more, and mooning around after Cotton she makes the audience dislike her instead of pity her. But after seeing many Aggie roles, I think she meant to leave that impression of dislike over pity, I don't think she liked Fanny a lot.

What you said about the chunks missing, perhaps YouTube does it that way, but that is exactly why I dismiss Citizen Kane. There are many things about the characters I don't 'get', and I believe those points were left on the cutting room floor. The movie was already over-long, so editing cost a lot of back story. With MA Welles uses the same sort of sharp cut from one scene to another, but the backstories on all of the characters are there, even though not in depth, at least enough to understand each characters' reasons for action. It may only be a line or two in conversation, or the narrator giving a clue, but the MA characters are easier to understand.

In any case, Agness is always a pleasure to watch, no matter if she's being the poor farmers wife in Our Vines Have Tender Grapes, or the Countess as in The Opposite Sex.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Professional Tourist

Re: Agnes Moorehead

Post by Professional Tourist »

Last edited by Professional Tourist on February 17th, 2011, 7:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

mrsl wrote:In any case, Agness is always a pleasure to watch, no matter if she's being the poor farmers wife in Our Vines Have Tender Grapes, or the Countess as in The Opposite Sex.[/color]

Well, damn, now I have to see The Opposite Sex. I've long avoided it, I so love the original. But Agnes as The Countess, well that is irresistable.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Rudyfan: For years I've been trying to decide between The Women and Casablanca as my favorite all time movie, but have finally realized I cannot make a distinction between them. So I agree about staying away from The Opposite Sex, however Agnes is the best thing about this mess, albeit her part has been cut.
Although Ann Miller is supposed to be doing the same part (different name) as Paulette Goddard, Ann Sheridan is the one who really doubles as Mary's Mother and Paulette in providing advice. Ann is the one who gives her the 'fight for your man' lecture and is there as a shoulder to cry on in the beginning when Mary first learns of her problem. So as far as I'm concerned, the two seasoned professionals, Agnes Moorehead and Ann Sheridan, are the stars of what could have been a good ensemble. But isn't that the way it usually is?
Anne

feaito

Post by feaito »

Notwithstanding its flaws "The Opposite Sex" is one of my guilty pleasures! :oops: ...The main reason: Being exposed since my very early childhood to many MGM films of all kinds from the 1950s (The Swan, The Glass Slipper, Green Fire, Many Rivers to Cross, High Society, The Opposite Sex, Royal Wedding, Designing Woman et al)...scarcely any film from the 1930s and few films from the 1940s...
Professional Tourist

Last edited by Professional Tourist on February 17th, 2011, 7:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for posting these PT! The movie is only available in an OOP VHS.
Professional Tourist

Last edited by Professional Tourist on January 14th, 2011, 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Professional Tourist

Last edited by Professional Tourist on January 14th, 2011, 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Professional Tourist

Last edited by Professional Tourist on February 17th, 2011, 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I just love these photos. Very few ladies of the screen could do haughty and/or dangerous like Miss M, and yet we can also see here what a great smile she had.
Professional Tourist

Last edited by Professional Tourist on January 14th, 2011, 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Professional Tourist:

Have you ever seen Ms. Aggie on the Twilight Zone show she did with the astronauts?
Anne

Professional Tourist

Last edited by Professional Tourist on February 17th, 2011, 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Professional Tourist