Agnes Moorehead

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
pvitari

Re: Aggie's Place -- Open 24 Hours

Post by pvitari »

It was a toss-up between Magnificent Obsession and All That Heaven Allows, and I went for the latter because I had just gotten back from seeing the current incarnation of that story, i.e., the Italian film I Am Love -- which I give a HUGE thumbs up by the way. Not only is I Am Love gorgeous to look at, but it has a tremendous lead performance by Tilda Swinton, who should get an Oscar nomination at the very least. Seeing it got me thinking about All That Heaven Allows and how the different time periods makes for such huge changes in what can be depicted on screen -- and the light bulb popped on and I knew which Douglas Sirk movie would be the next project. :)

I can't resist hijacking this thread briefly for a lovely shot of Rock Hudson.

OK, back to Agnes... no more Rock. :)
Professional Tourist

Re: Agnes Moorehead

Post by Professional Tourist »

Last edited by Professional Tourist on February 17th, 2011, 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Professional Tourist

Last edited by Professional Tourist on January 14th, 2011, 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Professional Tourist

Last edited by Professional Tourist on January 14th, 2011, 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

More Aggie on DVD! Just released in The Kim Novak Collection box set is Jeanne Eagels.

This is the one film in the box that I haven't seen. I started to watch last night but it was late when I started and after about 10 minutes I had to turn it off and go to sleep. :) I hope I can get it finished tonight. :)
Professional Tourist

feaito

Post by feaito »

What a wonderful & enlightening article PT. Thanks for sharing it.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I have to say, I loved Aggie in Mrs. Parkington yesterday. How funny in her first appearance (in bed yet), she insisted on no lights being on, then later looking like a photo come to life out of a magazine. My three favorites who cause me to watch movies as long as their name is in the credits - Aggie, Thelma Ritter, and Eve Arden - what a trio :!: :!: :!: I never think of any of them as supporting actresses, to me, they are second leads.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Professional Tourist

Last edited by Professional Tourist on January 14th, 2011, 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Professional Tourist

Last edited by Professional Tourist on February 17th, 2011, 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Professional Tourist wrote:
JackFavell wrote:PT -

Are you speaking of the First Drama Quartette? Charles Laughton, Agnes Moorehead, Charles Boyer, and Cedric Hardwicke presented Don Juan in Hell as a reader's theater in the fifties. They toured the United States and Europe with it. My dad has a record album of it, and it was exceedingly popular.
If anyone might be interested, I have finally written about Don Juan in Hell at Aggie's blog, and I must admit it was quite a struggle. This type of literature, Shaw's philosophical play-within-a-play, is a bit much for the likes of me, college drop-out that I am. . . . :oops: :D It is a shame that the idea of filming one of these live performances was never realized. :(

I've just been reading Boyer's biography and was entranced to learn about these perfromances, I never knew they existed. Those voices and the talent together, I bet they gave a performance to remember. Is there a recording out there, does anyone know if it is available to buy? Thanks Professional Tourist for posting about this, I wondered where to go about finding out more about this and I remembered your love of Agnes Moorhead.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Professional Tourist

Last edited by Professional Tourist on January 14th, 2011, 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
charliechaplinfan

Thankyou, I'll look into it fully. I can't believe the existence of this quartet had escaped me.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
charliechaplinfan

Thanks, it's available for download online on Amazon for next to nothing. That's something that will help me whilst doing the housework.
Professional Tourist

Last edited by Professional Tourist on January 14th, 2011, 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.