Ben Johnson

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
pvitari

Re: Ben Johnson

Post by pvitari »

Here are three Spanish lobby cards for Soggy Bottom U.S.A. The Spanish title, "Desmadre City" -- I don't know why they're using the English word "City" -- would translate as something like "Chaos City" or "Confusion City."

Ben and Dub Taylor.

Two Johnsons -- Ben and Don.

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Tomboy and the Champ.

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

And one from Breakheart Pass. :)

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

This one's a re-do. I posted a cropped version of this Dillinger photo back in September 2012 but I now have an uncropped version and here it is. ;)

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

More behind-the-scenes photos from The Getaway.

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

This appears to be clipped from a supporting actor directory. These actor directories had pics and contact info and were used by casting directors. I'd say this was circa early 50s since the pics are from Rio Grande (1950 -- left) and Fort Defiance (1951 -- right).

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

My Winter Solstice present to myself this year was a vintage pressbook for Wagon Master. Boy, did I drool when that showed up on eBay! It's so big that even the oversize scanner wasn't big enough -- I had to take photos of it. :) Here are some of the pages but they're not too legible in this size. I recommend going to the album on the Ben page and downloading the big size images. Here's the link: https://benjohnsonfanpage.shutterfly.com/print/949

Maricatrin

Post by Maricatrin »

What a great find you made! I'm heading over to the website to checkout the full sized scans. :D
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaricatrinsMusicVideos
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Hope you enjoyed the entire pressbook, Maricatrin!

In honor of Rod Taylor -- two new additions to the collection of Train Robbers photos and lobby cards. You can see Ben (but barely) in the second photo. He's on the right, behind a mounted Bobby Vinton, standing besides his horse.

Maricatrin

Post by Maricatrin »

pvitari wrote:Hope you enjoyed the entire pressbook, Maricatrin!
Oh, indeed I did; thanks so much for sharing! And guess what? I was sorely tempted to print out the coloring page, but I managed to restrain myself (for the time being, anyway :wink: )

I was very sad to hear of Rod Taylor's passing too. R.I.P.

Apart from being a very good looking man in his prime, he was also a VERY likeable man at any age... he did some fine work in films, but my favorite of his roles will probably remain his turn as the adventurous American reporter Glenn Evans, from the all too short lived tv series Hong Kong.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Well, I have no idea why you didn't print out that coloring page! In fact, I think you should do it... then scan in the results so we can see it. :)

Today's post is a still from Wagon Master. Ben's in the background on his horse. ;)

Maricatrin

Post by Maricatrin »

pvitari wrote:Well, I have no idea why you didn't print out that coloring page! In fact, I think you should do it... then scan in the results so we can see it. :)

Today's post is a still from Wagon Master. Ben's in the background on his horse. ;)

Hahaha, I'm sure I'll do it eventually (when I was a kid, how I loved those Dover coloring books!), but there are a lot of other things I should be doing at the moment...

And I have to say it, before someone beats me to it: Ben on a horse is NEVER in the background :wink:
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

And I have to say it, before someone beats me to it: Ben on a horse is NEVER in the background :wink:
You are so right about that!

Found a third photo of Ben and Mamie Van Doren! Ben was the technical advisor for the rodeo sequences in Mamie's modern western, Born Reckless, and for some reason they did a photo session with him and Mamie, even though he doesn't appear in the film.

By the way, Mamie, age 83 going on 84, is still going strong. She posts every day on her Facebook page, and underneath that (still) platinum blonde hair is a razor sharp brain. She comments on current affairs, her philosophy of life and life in general, her dog and her husband, people she knew or still knows.. and it's always food for thought.

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Ben and Rod Taylor in The Train Robbers.

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I just posted an amazing article -- 14 pages long, with many fantastic photos, most of which I've never seen before -- about Ben, his parents, and Carol from the 1972 issue of The Quarter Horse Journal. The author is Jim Scarbrough, an Oklahoman who was assistant editor of the magazine and a well-known figure in the American Quarter Horse community. You can read his bio here: http://okqha.org/jim-scarbrough/

I've posted just a few pages here to whet your appetite and you can download the entire article (with much larger size scans) from here: https://benjohnsonfanpage.shutterfly.com/print/965

A photo of Ben and Carol from the article