knitwit45

Re: Ben Johnson

Post by knitwit45 »

I'll buy a GPS if you find it works!!!! :lol:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hello, ladies...

I can never make up my mind which Ben I prefer. Luckily, there is a Ben for every occasion. Young Ben for those times when youthful romance is de riguer, and then there's older Ben when more mature courting is required. He pleases me at any age.

I took the youtube posting off the front page but left the link to that Bonanza episode, so I hope mrsl can now open the thread without her computer locking up.

If you find that GPS, please take me along for the ride! They just don't make men like that anymore...
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Miss Goddess:

That's a big part of my dislike of todays' movies. I like a man who looks like a man and there is no such thing on screen today. Some seem to have it until they open their mouth, or stand up and it looks like they're standing in a hole, and there is no happy medium of body sculpture, they're either built like 12 year olds or like they have bubbles under their skin. Thank God for Dwayne Johnson. I may be old, but I'm not dead yet, and I still love to look, but there is very little to enjoy looking at.

Those photos from Chisum are great. The funny thing is at one time Ben was one of 'the kids', but he seems to have caught up to the old man, although both of them looked good. I love that beginning and ending shot of Wayne sitting on his horse on that little rise with that big tree behind him.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yay! mrsl, I'm glad you're here.

I love that shot of Wayne under the tree, too, I had to include it in the photos.

The famous roman riding scene from Rio Grande. Ben's in front, on the left. Dobe's bringing up the rear:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

From Rio Grande, our introduction to the boys:

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I swear, Dobe looks like Howdy Doody! And Ben.....gulp.....well, like Anne says, "I ain't dead yet!" :oops: :oops: and believe me, that would raise anyone's blood pressure a notch or 3 ..
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ben looks like he thinks Dobe looks like Howdy Doody too... his expression in the last shot just cracks me up!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Harry Carey, jr. reminds me of the Belgian cartoon character (who I love), Tin Tin:
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Dobe played Dwight Eisenhauer in the movie The Long Grey Line, and I love the scene where, although you don't see him, Tyrone Power gives his secretary a can of stuff to rub on his head to make his hair grow back. The funny thing is, I can picture Dobe doing just that.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I think Dobe is a sweetie pie, with that mop of curly hair and his guileless face...he's a doll.

and I heartily recommend his book, Company of Heroes. Sorry for shamelessly plugging his book over and over again...I can't say it too much. He writes wonderfully, in a very conversational style, and gives HUGE amounts of information on how movies were made. He was incredibly forthcoming about his career, love-hate relationship with the film industry, and personal problems, and I still liked him when I came to the end of the book. You can't do better than that. He is a treasure!

klondike

Post by klondike »

I wish galluses still fit me that well :| ; anymore, their job's become more labor intensive :oops: !
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Klonny, I bet you look adorable in galluses or suspenders - galluses are the ones with the leather double hook at the bottom, right?

It occurs to me that getting their pants off would be quite difficult.... belt, gun belt and suspenders? Sadly, those pants aren't going anywhere...I'm going to have to revise my daydreams. :D :oops: :D :oops:
klondike

Post by klondike »

JackFavell wrote: Sadly, those pants aren't going anywhere...I'm going to have to revise my daydreams. :D :oops: :D :oops:
Well, there's always chaps . . . I understand them can be worn with or without britches!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

klondike wrote:
Well, there's always chaps . . . I understand them can be worn with or without britches!
Aren't they called that because of what they do to you if you don't wear pants?
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
klondike

Post by klondike »

movieman1957 wrote:
klondike wrote:
Aren't they called that because of what they do to you if you don't wear pants?
Not sure . . haven't been there, haven't done that.

Ladies, would any of y'all like to weigh in here?
:twisted: