Could it Ever be Hip to be Square?

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Dear Judith,
Brooklyn sounds alot like Chicago. I grew up on the the far West Side, the North Austin neighborhood which was then Irish, withe some Italians, and even a few WASPS. South Austin, just a few blocks away was Irish
( we are ALL over ), Greek, and Jewish. Glad to learn about your Brooklyn life. 8)
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

How about women who are squares? Can woman be a square? Or are they squarettes?
Anyway, how about Jean Arthur in "A Foreign Affair" scribbling away in her little notebook? Or Katharine Hepburn in "Without Love?"
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde
knitwit45

Fred MacMurray

Post by knitwit45 »

I just found this thread, and hope I'm not back-spacing, but I wanted to share a memory. When I was about 9 or 10, my parents took us to California for a vacation. While there, thru a connection of my dad's, we got to have lunch in the commissary at Universal Studios. As I recall this, (about 50 years ago, so I could and probably am mistaken) the dining room was more like a cafeteria, very plain, tables for four, etc. Anyway, my dad spotted Fred MacMurray and took me over to get his autograph.

Mr. MacMurray was in costume (but I didn't know this) dressed as a lumberjack, or outdoorsman of some kind. I remember looking straight up at him, he seemed as tall as a tree. He bent over, asked my name, and actually had a short but very kind conversation with me. I thought all movie stars dressed in tuxedos and sported canes and tophats. Because of the way he was dressed, and the way he took time to draw out a very shy little girl, I was completely at ease with him.

He was sweet and soft spoken, and I think I fell in love that day.

So that's one person's "take" on Fred MacMurray, a member of the Board of Squares.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
CoffeeDan

Post by CoffeeDan »

jdb1 wrote:It's always said that Brooklyn is a series of small towns, and I've lived in several of those "towns" throughout my life, and it's true - they are different in age, architecture and atmosphere; all you have to do is walk a few blocks either way, and you're in a totally different place.
Brooklyn sounds a lot like Cincinnati, too!