Marlene Dietrich

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
knitwit45

Re: Marlene Dietrich

Post by knitwit45 »

I recorded SE last week, but I'm house sitting right now and can't access it. I've tried not to read the spoilers, but I'm sure looking forward to watching this. I'm in the middle of SIX dogs, 2 cats and FOUR (COUNT THEM!!!!) chiming clocks that are all about 5 minutes apart.... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

really looking forward to Monday night....... :roll: :roll:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha! I would not mind the dogs or cats. But the clocks! :roll:
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I love all the dogs, the cats only show up to eat, I have a great bed to sleep in....but those clocks.....arrrrrgh!

My t shirt reads: Agenda for the day: Let the dog out, let the dog in, let the dog out, let the dog in.

Now back to our scheduled programming... :lol:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha ha ha ha ha! That's priceless! I have a friend who has 3 cats, and she is constantly running to the door... "oh you want in, Jonesy?" "Oh, Samantha, you want to go out?" They've got her trained. I can understand it with dogs, but not with cats.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

That could be me with the three cats, they have a cat flap but seem to think the window is better or the door without the cat flap and of course they want it opening for them. Cats just like knowing that they can get you to move your butt whenever they like.

Nancy, let me know when you are going to watch SE and I'll watch around the same time then we can all chime in. I've never seen it before, I'm looking forward to it.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

In about 5 minutes! I am clock free, the peace and quiet is wonderful :lol: :lol:
charliechaplinfan

Right, I'll programme it for tomorrow, first day back at school for the kids, I'll have blessed peace and enjoy Marlene. Look forward to discussing tomorrow.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I can't wait for you guyses (it's a word!) thoughts on SE. :D :D
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

this guyses had to postpone, REAL life is getting in the way of REEL life...phooey! Will watch tomorrow.
charliechaplinfan

I loved it so much. I've read the reviews on the Lately thread and it's all been said but

The use of smokescreens and fades lift the movie from a film into a voyueristic pleasure, add to the mix the feathers, veils, smoke and silks and poses, Marlene's two hands on one hip or puffing on her cigarette with the key light above her. Von Sternberg and marlene were wedded into portraying her on screen as the most exotic, sculpted and decadent woman ever to grace the screen. Marlene isn't the most attractive woman ever to grace screen but she has presence, a fabulous accent and an air of eroticism but with Von Sternberg an extra sheen is given. It's apparent in all the films they did together and the sheen gets polished everytime, the later films, The Scarlet Empress and Devil is a Woman or a bit too much, they're fun, they're kitsch and Dietrich looks amazing but it's here in Shanghai Express that she's at her most tempting and iconic. I love the feathers and ruffles, I love how Von Sternberg can build up her look and how he get her to convey so much without her doing too much.

I liked the fact that Marlene wasn't the only woman this time, there was Anna May who nearly stole some of the film from under her, she's dangerous, she does so much with her screen time, Cinemaven put it so well on the other thread, it's not in what Anna is saying but in what she is doing whilst others are speaking. She's a contrast to Marlene but equally exotic. It's slightly unpleasant that she is second choice, although I thought there was no slight meant but to a Chinaman the white skinned Lily wolud be the exotic. Was it an act when we first see Anna when Warner Oland is complaining of her presence. I love the cameraderie between her and Lily. They probably knew one another, I colud imagine them being at least aware of one another.

Clive Brook was stolid and not very exciting, what if it were Cooper, I think the scene would sizzle more, as it is the two clinches between the two are hot. He's a stuffy upper class Englishman, there's a lot of upbringing she's had to cut through. I do think that he plays it as Von Sternberg wanted, if it were Cooper we wouldn't believe he would hold back. Wolud have been nice to see Ronald Colman but it's a minor gripe.

I liked the collection of fellow travellers, Eugene Pallette in particular. The train, the way it is presented, puffing through the crowds, large and strong yet at the whims of the people. Smoke clouds the train as prettily as it cloaks Marlene. The inside of it is the one train I want to get on, it looks luxurious and a little seedy, Sternberg gives it the impression of a den of iniquity on wheels.

Nobody is what they seem, I like that, the pleasant old lady at the beginning who reminded me so much of the Mrs Wilberforce from The Ladykillers, kept descending in my estimation. Warner Oland who was playing the 'baddie' had my sympathy and cried middle management to me too.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I just finished it, too. I can't put into words what others have said, I agree that it is a lovely movie. Marlene was absolutely exquisite in this, I don't think she was ever as young and fresh as she was here, even playing a "sadder but wiser girl." I thought Clive Brook was perfect as the upstanding uppercrust uptight
man who was besotted with her. Coleman would give it more anguish, Cooper perhaps more humor, but CB was spot on. Mustn't let others see what he's feeling or thinking. Code of honor, you know.

The train was another player, slightly seedy, half camouflage troop transport, half glamor transportation.

Right now I'm recording the amazing Scarlet Empress, to go along with Shanghai Express. It's another Marlene day for me!
charliechaplinfan

That's another good one Nancy, I'll be around later to see what you thought of that one :D
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I had seen The Scarlet Empressonce before, it is a jaw dropper for sure. Sam Jaffe is so over the top, he gave me nightmares! Sure glad I saw him first in Lost Horizon, or I wouldn't have believed him as the High Lama. urk.

I love the excessiveness (is that a word?) of The Scarlet Empress, the sets, costumes, wickedness, :roll: :roll: and the ending. Riding horses up that staircase, her wild eyed look of triumph....wow. :shock:

To balance the nuttiness of that one, I also put on the same disc Knight Without Armour. I really like her in that one, she seems so real. And Robert Donat is NOT Mr. Chippen in this one. He's quite a dish!
charliechaplinfan

Robert Donat is a dish and Marlene wanted him quite badly but he never succumbed. He's very nice, I wouldn't have minded being Madeleine Carroll handcuffed to him :D
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh baby that scene in the woods..... mmm, mm!

I love what both of you wrote about Shanghai Express, BTW...I just couldn't get it together enough to write it up yesterday. And knitty, I agree about The Scarlet Empress, it's fun to just dive into all that wedding cake scenery and lush craziness.