Can you like an actor/ actress if they play nasty roles ?

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
ken123

Can you like an actor/ actress if they play nasty roles ?

Post by ken123 »

My late mother disliked Claire Trevor because she played unfaithul wives, tramps, mobsters dolls, dance hall girls, so often in her career. My mother also disliked Angela Lanbury because she often played the " other woman ", for example Capras' State of the Union. When, as a teenager, I started posting pin ups of Claire on my bedroom wall my mom changed her opinion of Clair, after watching a few episodes of Murder, She Wrote her opinion of Angela changed also. 8)
Professional Tourist

Re: Can you like an actor/ actress if they play nasty roles ?

Post by Professional Tourist »

Yes, I can like an actor/actress if he/she plays nasty roles. I like Angela Lansbury, Mercedes McCambridge, and of course Agnes Moorehead. Among actors I like John Cassavetes, Henry Daniell, and Joseph Cotten, who have all played their share of bad guys. So yes! :)
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

This is a great question. I totaly agree that all of us are persuaded to dislike someone if they constantly play a dark role. I even choose my modern day theater movies based on my like or dislike of the star. I have been racking my brain to come up with turn offs from yesteryear and can only think of the movie rather than the actor. I think I was more influenced by some of the charactor actors rather than the leads. I always wanted the star to not get murdered. One person does stand out that frightened me. Richard Widmark was always playing a psycho murderer and he frightened me.

Uncle Stevie
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yes.

Unless it is Louis Calhern in Devil's Doorway.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I adore him when he is a good guy, I adore him when he is an amoral guy and I adore him when he is a bad guy (and when he is bad, he is just plain mean and nasty like nobody else), I just plain adore (and always will), the wonderful Lee Marvin.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

Some I enjoy/like: George Sanders, David Hess, Martin Stephens, Miranda Richardson, Basil Rathbone, Jeremy Irons, Eduardo Ciannelli, Judith Anderson, and (naturally) Boris Karloff and Bette Davis.
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Alan Rickman, John Malkovich, Christopher Walken, Ian McShane, Sid Haig, etc.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Now I can, but I realize that I used to hold certain roles against actors I now really like, namely, Robert Ryan, Richard Widmark and Ralph Meeker. They all played psychos or just plain unpleasant, and I disliked them. I now know it's because of their characters and I wasn't seeing past them. Ryan, especially, veered from loathsome to lovable in my world. :D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
ken123

Post by ken123 »

MissGoddess wrote:Now I can, but I realize that I used to hold certain roles against actors I now really like, namely, Robert Ryan, Richard Widmark and Ralph Meeker. They all played psychos or just plain unpleasant, and I disliked them. I now know it's because of their characters and I wasn't seeing past them. Ryan, especially, veered from loathsome to lovable in my world. :D
All Irishmen are extremely lovable. 8)
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I can't disagree with that! :D
-- Will Rogers
ken123

Post by ken123 »

MissGoddess wrote:I can't disagree with that! :D

MissGoddess,
You show outstanding taste & intelligence. :D
intothenitrate

Post by intothenitrate »

I was poking around the Mary Astor thread the other day and saw a lot of comments about the Ruth Chatterton part in Dodsworth. It seemed like she played it so well, it cost her a lot of affection. I just thought she was a hoot. That got me thinking of my own experience watching Fred MacMurray recently in The Caine Mutiny. I guess Fred's always been on the fence for me, but after seeing him in that role, his esteem on my personal fan-meter completely plummeted. It's funny how you can suspend your disbelief for some on-screen antics, but draw the line for others.
"Immorality may be fun, but it isn't fun enough to take the place of one hundred percent virtue and three square meals a day."
Goodnight Basington
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

I personally never like an actor (better) because he plays nice or nasty parts. I enjoy GOOD actors/actresses. In France, you don't get as much typecasting as you do in Hollywood. A good actor can play a good guy or a villain. I guess it's never entered my mind to confuse the actor and his parts. And yes, I love immensely the great Hollywood baddies: Richard Widmark, Basil Rathbone, etc.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I agree with Ann Harding, I LOVE a good baddie! However, I have found that there is at least one character that has influenced my liking of an actor. I saw Devil's Doorway in the last year, and I have to say that Louis Calhern's villain in that movie was so well done that I almost despise him on sight now. I am finding it very hard to separate him from that character, because it was such a powerful portrayal. I want to get beyond it, but he was so AWFUL, I just can't.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Watching Brad Dexter in 99 River Street, I realized how sexy a villain can be to me. :D
-- Will Rogers