FREDRIC MARCH

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
charliechaplinfan

Re: FREDRIC MARCH

Post by charliechaplinfan »

intothenitrate wrote:I'm halfway through watching Anna Karenina (1935), which I haven't seen for a while. March's performance has me scratching my head. He can usually be counted on for a little sparkle, but so far, I'm not seeing it. I've heard the "garlic story" (how Garbo allegedly ate garlic to make herself unappealing during the love scenes). Has anyone heard anything else about the making this film that would explain such a subdued performance?
Just saw this earlier post. Only John Gilbert did the part of Vronsky justice, I can't think of another adaptation that has it right. Vronsky is a decent performance by March but it doesn't spark and they don't hold chemistry, perhaps because of the garlic. Sometimes Garbo feels like a selfish performer and this is one of those occasions.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Here's a very interesting take on one of Fredric March's lesser known movies, The Adventures of Mark Twain (1944), written by our member, Jacqueline. I like the way she points out the film's departures from the generic Hollywood biopic, as well as her comments on changing audience literacy and John Carradine's animated presence. Enjoy:

http://anotheroldmovieblog.blogspot.com ... -1944.html
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

This is one of those movies I've simply never gotten around to watching. I used to go to a video store that had a copy. I just didn't take advantage of it. I look forward to another opportunity!
Vienna

Post by Vienna »

Thanks everyone. I've enjoyed reading all 9 pages on Mr. March. I guess it's no coincidence Fredric is in 4 of my favorite films - such a good actor, though I never think of him in the same leading man category as Cary Grant or James Stewart or Bogart. But I've come to appreciate the quality of his acting in his 40s and 50s films.
So real in BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES: so desperate yet determined in THE DESPERATE HOURS: so sweaty-palmed in EXECUTIVE SUITE: and so presidential in SEVEN DAYS IN MAY.
And then I saw the young March in DEATH Takes A HOLIDAY, again his acting ability shines. What a great part to play - death! I love when he says, "I am about to take a holiday to find out why men fear me as they do."
charliechaplinfan

He's a great actor and as as many great films to his name as Stewart, Grant and Bogie but for some reason he ranks a little lower in the echelons of stardom. Perhaps it's because he spent quite a bit of time on Broadway rather than being fully commited to Hollywood. You've named 4 of my favourite March movies there, I'd add A Star is Born and Nothing Sacred too, both favourites of mine.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Good news! Charles Tranberg, who has written excellent biographies of Fred MacMurray, Agnes Moorehead and Robert Taylor, is working on a biography of Fredric March. More about this when it becomes available.

In that spirit, I thought others might be interested in this interview given by Freddie to Motion Picture magazine in 1941 with the intriguing title, "No Stuffed Shirt"--all about the provocative Mr. M. The breezy author seems hellbent on portraying March as a major cut-up, but it is interesting to see the publicity generated to make people like an actor.

(Please click on the thumbnails to view the page in full).

Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
feaito

Post by feaito »

How superb! I read this at SSO's FBook's site and I received the news with complete happiness. March is one of my favorite actors and stars, so I'm looking forward to it. Besides, Tranberg did an excellent work with his Bios -published by Bear Manor Media- on Bob Taylor and Fred Mac Murray (both of which I own and I bought).

Bear Manor Media has been doing an excellent job publishing Biographies of well known and not-so-well-known stars of the Golden Era (including Scott O'Brien's excellent Bios on Virginia Bruce, Kay Francis and Ann Harding, all owned and read :wink: ). His upcoming book on Ruth Chatterton is on my Wish List too.
charliechaplinfan

At last, a book about Fredric March, he's been overlooked for too long and as we've discovered here, far from a stuffed shirt. Up there with Spencer Tracy in terms of acting technique and memorable performances but so far ignored. So many of the movie books are priced out of my reach but this is one I'm going to buy, however much it costs :D
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I don't think March was overlooked in his own time. He played dashing heroes in his youth, successfully assumed dignified roles in later years. He won at least one Oscar, maybe two. It's just that it was so long ago. Yes, people still know Spencer Tracy. Bette Davis. But how many stars of the 1930's are remembered by the general public today?
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

RedRiver wrote:I don't think March was overlooked in his own time. He played dashing heroes in his youth, successfully assumed dignified roles in later years. He won at least one Oscar, maybe two. It's just that it was so long ago. Yes, people still know Spencer Tracy. Bette Davis. But how many stars of the 1930's are remembered by the general public today?
It's a shame that he gets overlooked and unappreciated ... and I feel frustrated that he is not mentioned in the same breath of the stars that you've mentioned Red. I for one, is shocked that some of my friends (in my age bracket) never heard of him and do not know that he did a Dr.Jekyll and Mr. Hyde movie and know the Spencer Tracy Version ... I have a DVD of March's version and I shared that movie with them and they were stunned to see March in it and most of them felt that March's version is better than Tracy's version.

That's when my friends started to pay more attention to him.

And, yet he still get overlooked and unappreciated ... and that bothered me so much. He was so good in 7 Days of May ... Playing President Jordan Lyman.

I'm a Fredric March Fan ... and I loved all the movies that he done.
charliechaplinfan

Me too, some of his early filmd didn't do him justice, he's not always convincing in historical dramas but he was a lot of fun in Sign of the Cross.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Has anyone discussed The Barretts of Wimpole Street? I like him tremendously in this film, though, granted, the focus is on Laughton for me, and then Shearer and O Sullivan. I just find him a reassuring and grounding presence. You can't help but fall in love with him a little yourself.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

March was an actor who was almost always good. I, also, like him as the president. His father characters are effective in "Best Years" and DESPERATE HOURS. INHERIT THE WIND is one of the few instances where he's overshadowed. Tracy's role is so much more appealing. But March creates a fascinating and theatrical characterization of a committed, if out of touch, statesman. He presents a fascinating picture.

In earlier years, he shines in the very best version of the oft filmed A STAR IS BORN. He plays a good conniving reporter in the witty NOTHING SACRED. And who doesn't cheer on his brash, bold Jean LaFitte in Demille's rousing THE BUCCANEER?
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I love him in A Star is Born.
charliechaplinfan

Me too, I buy into his matinee idol persona more than James mason, Mason was a different and very good actor, that's why he worked as Norman Maine but Norman Maine was more like Fredric March to me. I love both versions, the later for Judy and her songs but for the drama you can't beat the original.