Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Lzcutter
Administrator

Re: Historic Hollywood Sites

Post by Lzcutter »

In honor of Efrem Zimbalist, the opening of 77 Sunset Strip:

[youtube][/youtube]
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

It's not Hollywood per se, but there is a great deal of historic Los Angeles in this very cool video:

[vimeo][/vimeo]

I freakin' LOVE L.A.!!!!!!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Love that downtown L.A. video, Lynn. Yes, super cool! :D I should have explored and appreciated more of it when I lived there in the late '70's.

This thread is simply fantastic.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Thanks for sharing this incredible video about LA - The City of Angels ... This is super 8) :!:
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

LA has always fascinated people the world over. If NY's streets are paved with gold, LA's are paved with stars!

If there isn't already a blog "reella" along the lines of reelsf.com, someone should certainly start one. Even more than San Francisco, Los Angeles must be filled with THEN and NOW examples, especially if you go back the the silent era.
[size=85]AVATAR: Billy DeWolfe as Mrs. Murgatroid, “Blue Skies” (1946)

[b]“My ancestors came over on the Mayflower.”
“You’re lucky. Now they have immigration laws."[/b]
[i]Mae West, The Heat’s On” (1943[/i])

[b]:–)—[/b]
Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Lynn,

Loved seeing this and all the old buildings. Thanks for this!

When I first arrived in LA, the City Hall was pretty much the tallest building around; but when I came in from the airport last March, I could hardly find it - it's been dwarfed....

And, I told you in 2010 that everything on Roxbury Drive has been torn down, except Elaine Stewart's house; and that's probably gone now too. If Merrill Heater is still alive, perhaps that house still remains (but he'd be very old now and perhaps incapacitated)...

Larry
rerun

Post by rerun »

Lzcutter wrote:Image

Musso and Frank’s:
6667 Hollywood Blvd.

Featured in TCM Hideaways with Ben Mankiewicz and Tom Brown. The oldest eatery on the Blvd. Opened in 1919, it wasn’t long before the Hollywood crowd discovered its good food and its good alcohol. It was originally named for owners Joseph Musso and Frank Toulet.

The eatery was remodeled in 1937 and hasn’t changed much since then. The beamed ceilings, red leather banquettes, wooden booths with coat racks and a wait and bar staff who look they have been there for years are just some of the reasons to check it out. Our favorite reason, the bartender who looks and talks like “"Cuddles"” Sakall. Paid parking is available behind the eatery.

Hollywood and Vine

Perhaps one of the most famous intersections in American culture. Back in the 1930s, many of the radio stations such as NBC and CBS, were located on Vine Street. There was a Brown Derby restaurant also located on Vine just south of the Blvd. Today all of that is gone and only CBS Columbia Square remains to remind us of another era. Hollywood and Vine has always sounded much more glamorous than it really was.

The multi-floor Broadway department store was located on the south side of the Blvd near Vine. In recent years, it's roof-top neon sign has been relighted thanks to the generous support of the men who until recently lived in Gary Cooper's wonderful mid-century modern house in Holmby Hills.

The Pacific Hollywood Theater
6433 Hollywood Blvd.

Opened in 1927 with the premiere of Glorious Betty starring Conrad Nagle and Dolores Costello (who lived not far from the theater back then). It was originally a Warners Brothers theater and it was, until recently, the largest theater ever built in Hollywood seating 2,700. Originally equipped with Vitaphone equipment to showcase the Warners commitment to that brand.

Atop the building is a radio transmitter. Back in the day, the Brothers Warner owned the nearby radio station, KFWB and had the tower placed on the roof of the theater where it displayed the Warner name.

The architect was G. Albert Lansburgh and the exterior design was Beaux Arts. The interior was opulent Moorish styling with a giant chandelier hanging in the lobby. Also in the lobby is a plaque to brother Sam Warner who was instrumental in moving the brothers into sound films and who died just before the opening of the The Jazz Singer which brought the brothers back from the brink of financial problems.

This is the theater where Carol Burnett worked as a teenager. She and her grandmother lived nearby at the Mayfair Apartments on Wilcox Avenue. At her request, her star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame is in front of the theater.

In the early 1950s the theater was renovated and reopened as Warners Cinerama. Seating was reduced to 1500. The experiment in Cinerama lasted a little over a year and a half. In 1961, the theater was renovated again to accommodate showing 70mm films in addition to 35mm. 2001 played there for 37 weeks.

In 1968, the theater was sold to the Pacific Theater chain. In the late 1970s, the theater was cut up to accommodate the addition of two smaller theaters upstairs. Despite the desecration, much of the interior still remains intact.

The theater was closed in 1994 due to structural damage caused by the devastating Northridge earthquake. The theater, like the Janes House and Musso and Franks is a Historic- Cultural landmark.

In the early 2000s, the Los Angeles Film School took over the theater and added digital projection. They also cleaned up the theater and restored the main theater to its 1960s size.

My father would take us to Musso Franks (flannel cakes) and the Pig n Whistle for breakfast on Sunday mornings before polo. I remember so well.
I did not realize Warner's Theater was the biggest in Hollywood. I worked my way up to head cashier there when I was 17. I paid my way to Hollywood Professional School with my earnings. When they had the premier for Night and Day they sent me to Warner Bros. Studio and fitted me with a strapless black velvet evening gown and did my hair and makeup. Then I stood in the lobby under a spotlight and when the stars arrived and showed me the color of their tickets I was able to gesture to them where to go. Can you imagine what fun that was! Alexis Smith was the most gracious of all. Sigh . . .
[color=#0000BF][i]Avatar: John Cantarini (Martha's husband) on future world record holder Crazy Kid. He won six in a row
on him.[/i][/color]
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Roscoe’'s House of Chicken and Waffles

Just north of Sunset Blvd on Gower Street. Want some of the best Chicken and Waffles this side of the South? This is the place. Drop in, grab a bite. You won’'t be disappointed.

In red ... Lzcutter's Notes ...

Lynn, and the rest of the Silver Screen Oasis ... I went there last Monday AM and ordered a plate of Fried Chicken and Waffles with a dear friend of mine and he suggested Roscoe's and I remembered reading about it on Lzcutter's thread here and i was warmed in my stomach tasting the best CHICKEN and WAFFLES that I ever had in my entire life. Super Yummy! :D

This is what I had for Monday AM

He lived 15 minutes from that place and he picked me up at my Hotel and made reservations for 8 people there and I was very happy with the service and most importantly the food is OUTSTANDING.

I would give this place a 5 STAR RATING!
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Erik,

'Scoe's is one of my favorite places to eat! I used to live on Gower Street, up above Franklin Avenue, so I know the place well! There was always a line, no matter the time of day or night, so I am glad to hear that they take reservations now.

Must remember that for the next time I am craving chicken and waffles.

And I totally agree, they are the BEST this side of the South!

So glad you had fun and most of all, enjoyed the food!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

rerun

Post by rerun »

My immediate Hollywood memories are of: Musso Frank, Pig-n-Whistle- DuPars- Ontra Cafeteria – C.C. Brown’s -The Broadway – Nancy’s – Warner’s – Pantages – Admiral – NewsReel – Chinese –– Paramount – Egyptian – Barker Bros. And . . . I went to school on Hollywood Blvd. Just past Western Ave i.e. http://www.seeing-stars.com/Schools/HPS.shtml
Thanks so very much for letting us have another look at the memories.
[color=#0000BF][i]Avatar: John Cantarini (Martha's husband) on future world record holder Crazy Kid. He won six in a row
on him.[/i][/color]
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

I just saw someone made a great miniature model of the I LOVE LUCY set at Desilu Studios:

Here's a photo of the real set for perspective:

I like seeing all the fans on the booms pointed down on the actors & all the equipment on rolling dollies. Looks like if you were seated furthest right you'd miss seeing the baby's room scenes filmed and if seated furthest left you'd miss the nightclub scenes being filmed-