Mary Astor

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
JackFavell

Re: Mary Astor

Post by JackFavell »

That's WONDERFUL! Thank you SO MUCH for posting about this! I love that she just got up and thanked Bette and Tchaikovsky. I am thrilled to hear about their backstage plotting. I LOVE Mary, and I especially love Mary in The Great Lie. I think it's a tour de force. God, I must get her books.
intothenitrate

Post by intothenitrate »

I'm sure you would enjoy it (them), JF. Obviously, she can't write about everything that happened or every film she was in. What we get is a well-balanced pastiche -- more or less chronologically ordered -- that seems to strike a balance between what she wants to say and what we as fans might want to hear about. In a few places she will stop the narrative dead in its tracks and describe in great detail one of the gowns that was made for her. Such details went over my head, but I think you would get a kick out of them.

Then there's the style of her prose. There's something almost experimental about it -- somewhat ahead of its time. She'll go along in an impeccable expository style and then throw in some well-crafted sentence fragments, illustrating something in word-images or capturing some elusive feeling. I think she would be happy to know that she was remembered as a good writer.
"Immorality may be fun, but it isn't fun enough to take the place of one hundred percent virtue and three square meals a day."
Goodnight Basington
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

You had me at "I like the voice of it, its lack of pretense, its bittersweet sense of humor. She takes you into her confidence as though you are an old friend." :D

I just bought a copy on ebay! The price was right. If it reads like Mary's voice sounds, then I'm going to love it. Everything you've said so far makes it sound like my cup of tea. I have wanted to read her works ever since I first knew that she wrote books, I just needed the kick in the pants to go look for them online.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'm glad they didn't have Facebook in Astor's day. "I just had a piece of toast!" "I'm watching Supermarket Sweep!" "I have a burning sensation when I urinate!" LIKE.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh my gosh, red, you gave me the laugh of the day!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I actually enjoy social media. But much of it is so inane! Why would anybody care about that stuff?
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm with you, I enjoy FB and such, but really...
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

HooRay!!! There is a Mary Astor Blogathon happening from today, May 3 (her birthday) thru May 10.

here's a link to all the bloggers and the films they will discuss:

http://doriantb.blogspot.com/p/astor.html
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Awesome, thanks knitty!