GENE TIERNEY - Beautiful.

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
MissGoddess

GENE TIERNEY - Beautiful.

Post by MissGoddess »

PART ONE
A French-Canadian production interviews Gene in Houston. Two things that struck me was her lovely Texan accent, acquired no doubt through her years with her Texan husband. It softens her and made her seem warmer and more approachable than I ever have. She still looks quite lovely, such a lady. It's heartbreaking to listen to her speak of her attempted suicide.

PART ONE
[youtube][/youtube]

PART TWO
[youtube][/youtube]

Gene shares a few interesting stories about men she worked with. It's worth watching for any fan.

Last edited by MissGoddess on December 28th, 2012, 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Rita Hayworth

Re: GENE TIERNEY Interview - 1985. Beautiful.

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Thanks for sharing this ... Miss Goddess. I'm totally loss of words to describe how much she shared in this interview back in 1985.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks April, it was great to watch this interview. She was one of the most beautiful actresses of the Golden Era.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks so much for sharing those clips, Miss G. It was great to see Gene Tierney looking so relaxed and alert. I really liked the tales about telling Lubitsch that yelling wouldn't get the results he desired and when Oleg Cassini visited von Sternberg's "fortress surrounded by the moat." It was also good to hear someone tell a story about Otto Preminger's kindness rather than the usual ones characterizing him as an autocratic bully. Imagine--not thinking she was pretty enough to play "Laura."

Gene's bemused detachment about her career during this interview reminded me that her later marriage to the Texas oil man really must have helped her peace of mind. As she told her former beau JFK while visiting the White House after he gently asked her how she really was, "[I'm fine since] I have a husband who loves me even when I'm crazy."
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Thanks for this, dear Miss G. Gene was so beloved here in Houston, and when Mickey Herskowitz was working with her on her autobiography, the town was abuzz. We revered her, respected her, and remember her with fondness and admiration.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Thanx for uploading this Miss G. It was great watching Gene Tierney talk about her past successes. I don't know if she was ever given enough credit for how talented she was as an actress. As for her beauty, well...
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

A friend of mine sent me this link from "Sight and Sound."

http://www.bfi.org.uk/sightandsound/feature/49829

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

A few of us have briefly chatted about Zachary Scott in the Stallion Road thread, and lo and behond! Someone has uploaded Secret of Convict Lake (1951) to YouTube, so I thought I'd post it here. Who knows how long it will remain, so for those who haven't seen this rather rare (beyond the Fox Movie Channel) film with Gene Tierney and Glenn Ford, do have a look. It's very worthwhile, and features a terrific supporting cast including Scott, Ethel Barrymore, Ann Dvorak, Ruth Donnelly, Barbara Bates, Jeannette Nolan and the always interesting Cyril Cusack in a small role. The story, supposedly based on true incidents, takes place in wild and woodsy Canada and centers on Glenn Ford as an escaped convict out to revenge himself on the man who framed him. Ford may be no Mountie but he finds his man in the midst of a small farming community full of women, including the preternaturally beautiful, rifle toting Gene Tierney.

I've requested this movie at TCM many times, as I believe it deserves a wider audience and I thought Gene and Glenn had some surprisingly good chemistry. I think Fox's new MOD distributor is going to release it on DVD soon.

Enjoy!

[youtube][/youtube]
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

The lovely Miss Tierney will be basking in Mr. Osborne's glowing spotlight tonight. The better ones are scheduled quite late, but a little Genie Beanie is better than none:

8:00 PM Black Widow (1954)

9:45 PM Left Hand of God, The (1955)

11:30 PM Return of Frank James, The (1940)

1:15 AM Where the Sidewalk Ends (1950)

3:00 AM Belle Starr (1941)

4:30 AM Night and the City (1950)
-- Will Rogers
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

MissGoddess wrote:Image
The lovely Miss Tierney will be basking in Mr. Osborne's glowing spotlight tonight. The better ones are scheduled quite late, but a little Genie Beanie is better than none:

1:15 AM Where the Sidewalk Ends (1950)
Right you are, Miss G. I watched this one. Gene does have very little to do, but Dana's star shines noirly thoroughout. Trying to escape the yoke of genetics of being the son of a crook, he's a hot-headed cop named Dixon, a name that surely seals a man's fate for having a baaaaad temper. ( Shades of Bogie... ) I like the "no way out" theme of looking for the man, who is right there in front of you. I felt for Dana who gets himself into a very bad scrape. Gary Merrill was a'ight, but I always see the strings of his thespianism. Genie too forgiving, I've read. Yeah...but that doesn't bother me. That's your typical Hollywood ending. The thing for me is this is Dana's dilemma all the way. Good Preminger.

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi 'Mave,
I think it's one of Dana's best performances, Preminger definitely tapped into his ability to show "shades".
-- Will Rogers
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I love that Picture of Gene Tierney Miss G. Gorgeous Indeed!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

thanks, kingme! i love seeing color photos of her.
-- Will Rogers
Rita Hayworth

Re: GENE TIERNEY - Beautiful.

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Gene Tierney and Rita Hayworth Together

Pictures in the early 1940's ... bottom photo with her husband Olga C. ... the gentleman on the far right is Bruce Cabot ... the pretty lady is Unknown to me ... Rita Hayworth in the Middle.
Attachments
Gene Tierney.jpg
Gene Tierney.jpg (85.3 KiB) Viewed 7245 times
Star Power.jpg
Star Power.jpg (47.17 KiB) Viewed 7200 times
Rita Hayworth

Re: GENE TIERNEY - Beautiful.

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Gene Tierney Photos that I have ...

Pictures taken during early to mid 1940's ... dates of these beauties are unknown. I have a small but sizable collection of Hollywood Starlets too. I get them from my Collector Friends now and then.
Attachments
Gene Tierney Hat.jpg
Gene Tierney Hat.jpg (41.71 KiB) Viewed 7226 times
Gene Tierney 1.jpg
Gene Tierney 1.jpg (37.92 KiB) Viewed 7215 times