ALFRED HITCHCOCK

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
MissGoddess

Re: ALFRED HITCHCOCK

Post by MissGoddess »

It's what makes horse races! You may count me as one who loves To Catch a Thief---in fact, for years it was my tippy-top favorite Hitchcock movie. But then, the "gentleman thief" type of movie is one of the most enjoyable for me. Furthermore, Grant's "John Robie-the-Cat" ranks with Bill Powell's rascally burglar from Jewel Robbery as among my favorite male movie characters. It's a throw-back to the 30s, light-hearted films, and definitely Hitch's "vacation picture", agreed. I enjoy it on its own terms and Jessie Royce Landis, I might add, is a big reason why. She's delightful in a much better part than as Grant's mother in North by Northwest.

I find the "Poulet! Poulet! Poulet!" scene on the Corniche (highway) to be one of the funniest things Hitch ever filmed, by the way. All that chaos caused by one little chicken, lol.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I know I just love Cary in the film, I'm not disputing that by any means. It's very playful and funny which is my favorite thing about it. I mean, even the love scene is funny! But the plot thing doesn't really do it for me. :D When I want to watch it, it isn't for the plot, it's to watch Grant in that setting looking sexy, running through the kitchen or some wonderful location.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Hi Miss G. Thanxx for making it a horse race. :D You gave me a reason why "To Catch A Thief" is liked. Thanks.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Vienna

Post by Vienna »

Thanks,Cinemaven, for latest reviews. I guess my favorite is Rear Window - love your description of that scene where we see Burr's lighted cigarette in the dark -very much a Hitch touch.
I don't rate The Man Who Knew Too Much, and poor Doris seemed to spend half the film in a state of hysteria.
I have to be in the right frame of mind for Vertigo. It's harrowing! By the way, I've always had a problem with Judy/Madeleine. How come Judy was such a great actress in making Madeleine so real. Didnt Judy work in a shop? Or is my memory wrong?
And the coincidence of Scotty seeing Judy for the first time. He just happened to be on the right street at the right time. Or am I just being picky!
My second favorite Hitchcock would be North By Northwest. Great cast,plot and that Hermann music.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Next stop...SODA CITY! Soda City is next!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

RedRiver wrote:Next stop...SODA CITY! Soda City is next!

let me off at Willoughby. :D
-- Will Rogers
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Even my brother, who maintains John Ford was the ONLY great filmmaker, begrudgingly concedes Hitchcock did some good work. He doesn't give anybody else credit at all!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

One overhears that Mr. Danvers stepped out for a pack of cigarettes one night...
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Maybe it's Ben the caretaker....that would explain a lot.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#0000BF]Vienna[/color][/u] wrote:Thanks,Cinemaven, for latest reviews. I guess my favorite is Rear Window - love your description of that scene where we see Burr's lighted cigarette in the dark -very much a Hitch touch. I don't rate The Man Who Knew Too Much, and poor Doris seemed to spend half the film in a state of hysteria. I have to be in the right frame of mind for Vertigo. It's harrowing! By the way, I've always had a problem with Judy/Madeleine. How come Judy was such a great actress in making Madeleine so real. Didnt Judy work in a shop? Or is my memory wrong? And the coincidence of Scotty seeing Judy for the first time. He just happened to be on the right street at the right time. Or am I just being picky! My second favorite Hitchcock would be North By Northwest. Great cast,plot and that Hermann music.
Thanks Vienna. “The Man Who Knew Too Much” is not for everyone. In fact any one of Hitch’s films is not for everyone and that’s cool. Doris Day had one big scene where she was taken over by hysteria, which is understandable since she’s finding out her son’s been kidnapped. But the majority of the film she was composed, and in the beginning of the movie, she was more aware of things than Stewart.

I hear you about being in the right state of mind for “Vertigo.” I have to be in the right state of mind for “The Wrong Man.” I think Judy was able to make Madeleine so real because she was able to create Madeleine any way she wanted to; Scottie had never met Madeleine to be able to compare the impersonation. This might’ve been Judy’s way of playing a serious game of ‘dress up.’ She was a shopgirl. The coincidence of Scottie finding Judy could get in the way for folks. It doesn’t bother me. In fact, I’ve had coincidences in my own life. My friend and I was walking through Greenwich Village while she was on the phone with our mutual friend. Without either of them discussing where they were in Manhattan, the three of us bumped into each other in a totally different neighborhood...while they two were still on the phone!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
[u][color=#0040BF]RedRiver[/color][/u] wrote:Next stop...SODA CITY! Soda City is next!
Dude are you still touting Soda City? Is their Chamber of Commerce paying you under the table?
[u][color=#4040BF]MissGoddess[/color][/u] wrote:let me off at Willoughby. :D
Okaaaay Miss G. But remember, it might be more exciting than Hooterville...but not as exciting as River City.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
[u][color=#4000BF]RedRiver[/color][/u] wrote:Even my brother, who maintains John Ford was the ONLY great filmmaker, begrudgingly concedes Hitchcock did some good work. He doesn't give anybody else credit at all!
He might be spending too much time at the Soda City Cineplex. :P Set him straight, Red.

[u][color=#0000BF]Masha[/color][/u] wrote:I have just had a thought re: Rebecca (1940).
Love your way of thought.
Judith Anderson's character is: Mrs. Danvers.
This should be good.

The heartbroken Mrs. Danvers...a shell of her former self.
This means that she was at one time a blushing bride. Why do I find it so very difficult to form a mental image of that?
You're not trying hard enough. See her in "Blood Money." She was a pip.
It is also that she is not of such an age as to be a widow by normal means.
Whaddya mean? Husbands die all the time. Haven't you seen "The Bride Wore Black"?
Did she force him to suicide?
He would never kill himself.
Did she murder him?
She would never do that. She wouldn't want a man who wasn't in love with her.
Did he wake one morning and look at the face on the pillow next to his and so went screaming into the woods and was never again seen?
I think he fell in love with another woman and ran away, abandoning Mrs. Danvers. She, in turn, found a position at Manderley, met Rebecca and, well...the rest is history!

[u][color=#0000BF]kingrat[/color][/u] wrote:...Had there even been a Mr. Danvers, he would no doubt have run far, far away and would have needed years of professional care!
HA!!! Looks like Mrs. Danvers is the one who wound up needing therapy. I'm afraid it didn't help her by having session with this therapist:

[u][color=#404080]MissGoddess[/color][/u] wrote:One overhears that Mr. Danvers stepped out for a pack of cigarettes one night...
You're right Miss G. He did. And he lives here:

Somehow...things didn't work out for him and the woman he ran away with.

[u][color=#0040BF]JackFavell[/color][/u] wrote:Maybe it's Ben the caretaker....that would explain a lot.
Ha! I say Everybody's right!
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha! That's fantastic, Maven! :D :D :D :D Loved how you got Cornelia in there, the other Mrs. Danvers. Too funny!

So do you think that the ghost in The Uninvited was Rebecca's sister?
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Cornelia and Mrs. Danvers, talk about sisters under the starch.

If it isn't confusing enough, Danvers actually virtually raised Rebecca from childhood, so if she ever did marry it's possible Rebecca dismissed the husband herself! :D

There's a particularly disturbing moment described in the book (but not the movie) where Danvers recounts to the young Mrs. DeW---in admiring terms---of how when still just a young girl, Rebecca savagely whipped and goaded a stallion until it was broken. One wonders whether Rebecca's worst flaws weren't encouraged from the very start by Danvers.
-- Will Rogers