George Raft

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Western Guy

Re: George Raft

Post by Western Guy »

Well, Raft never actually belted Alison, Alison. But during the making of MADAME RACKETEER, the still-insecure Raft felt so overwhelmed by Skipworth's apparent scene-stealing that he went and hauled off on a set backdrop. Just seemed as if during those early years Georgie was quicker with the fists than on his dialogue. Of course, he much mellowed as he aged, like fine wine. To the point where he didn't retaliate when Oscar Levant took a sock at him at one of Swifty Lazar's New Year's Party. A party at which Bogart was also present.

Yeah, the thing with Marlene happened during the scene in MANPOWER when he bails her out of jail. They're walking down the stairs with Marlene trying to explain what happens. Raft is silent and stony-faced 'til he suddenly spins around and gives her that vicious slap -- and apparently he failed to pull his punch, actually whacking her hard enough to send her down the stairs, breaking her ankle in effect. That really troubled Raft as he had great personal admiration for Miss Dietrich.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Alison Skipworth was a scene stealer and a professional of many years standing in the early thirties. I can understand the frustrations that must have been felt. The talents in Hollywood in the early 30s must have been varied, a melting pots of all sorts and never has it felt that there was such a wealth of maturer talents and seasoned performers than at this time. An actors director would have felt insecurities on the part of the leading man and dealt with them and kept a happy balance than what happened between the spirited Miss Skipworth and the insecure Raft. So many directors were contracted to churn out films as quickly as possible that smoothing ruffled feathers and coping with scene stealing. Still Mae West in Night After Night, a performance that was one of the more shameless pieces of scene stealing he should have been used to it. Mae was very good though, not only did she steal the scenes but nearly stole the picture.

I love Marlene, she was such a trooper, I'm sure she didn't hold it against him but it might have cooled her ardour. I'm presuming they did have an affair given their reputations? and if they didn't, who would believe it?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Yes, George was able to fulfill some of those fantasies he'd had about Marlene since the early 30s. But he never discussed that. George was never a kiss-and-tell lover; his autobiography pretty much shows that.

George called Marlene the most glamorous woman he'd ever known and apparently had it bad for her. Their relationship, though, was based more on friendship and a mutual professional respect. Even with the difficult filming of MANPOWER and Raft's feud with Eddie G., Marlene's memories of George on the film were all positive.
charliechaplinfan

It's quite an interesting threesome on Manpower, in more ways than one. I can never get bored watching Marlene, I think she's fabulous but in those early years at Paramount she must have seen very exotic, she became more American and less exotic as she worked for other directors other than Von Sternberg but she's often just as alluring. No wonder George had fanatasies about her and many other men I wouldn't wonder, even perhaps more grounded family men like Edward G Robinson. He had his marriage troubles and Marlene liked her open marriage but it didn't stretch to both men on the picture, at least we don't think so. The Edward G was so talented and George was more of a personality than seasoned professional which made for different working styles, plus the film wasn't very flattering for Eddie. What a threesome though, no wonder Warner's went all out with that slogan, which isn't my favourite movie slogan by a long chalk.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
charliechaplinfan

Stone I came across to this thread because I knew you'd see it and I know you know a lot about Warner Brothers. Did Warner's ever really embrace the Western? The thought fleeted across my mind when I was watching Errol Flynn in Rocky Mountain. Apart from Flynn, who could look good on a horse the actors I associate with Warners Cagney, Bogart (the two they did try) Muni (not sure but guessing he'd not be at home there as in his dramas) Raft (thankfully not, perhaps they'd learnt from Cagney and Bogart, very good actors but still looked like they were in fancy dress) Robinson, Garfield. Only Flynn comes to mind as an actor who would look at home in the West. Did they embrace the genre on smaller terms, in B features or did they leave it to other studios?
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Well, Warners certainly was no Republic when it came to the studio's Western output. Warners was always more of an urban studio, focusing on the highs and (more often) lows of the city. But I for one have a particular fondness for Warners' Westerns: THE OKLAHOMA KID, VIRGINIA CITY, DODGE CITY, THEY DIED WITH THEIR BOOTS ON, SILVER RIVER, MONTANA. Seems that the Australian Errol Flynn starred in most of these bigger-budgeted oaters and I for one never had a problem watching Errol as a cowboy. One of the more interesting Warner Westerns is OKLAHOMA TERRITORY, which is a pretty effective remake of HIGH SIERRA.

Hard to picture many of Warners' stable of stars sitting tall in the saddle. Cagney and Bogart, of course, did some oaters - later on Jimmy starred in RUN FOR COVER and TRIBUTE TO A BADMAN. Robinson played a ruthless rancher in THE VIOLENT MEN, then later showed up in CHEYENNE AUTUMN (fine film) and MACKENNA'S GOLD (not such a fine film). Muni, Raft and Garfield never played cowboys (thankfully).
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I think you meant Colorado Territory, Stone. I really like Eddie G in The Violent Men, and Cheyenne Autumn. He, like Cagney both started to fit into the western landscape as they aged. I think you could also count Spencer Tracy in Bad Day at Black Rock as well, though he is a stranger in town.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

You beat me to it, Wendy. Was just driving back from the store when I realized my error. Indeed, COLORADO TERRITORY: Joel McCrea, Virginia Mayo and that cranky old Henry Hull, who, of course, was also in HIGH SIERRA.
charliechaplinfan

Thank you, I knew you'd both know much more than me. I'm so grateful they kept Raft, Garfield and Muni away from Westerns. I suppose when you have Errol Flynn on the lot, you don't need anyone else.

As a matter of interest, Stone. Do you think George could ride a horse? Is it something a leading man needs to be able to do. I can't picture George on a horse apart from a little in The Trumpet Blows.

Another man who thankfully never made a Western is Cary Grant.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

George certainly owned horses; he was a racetrack junkie. He even gave horses as gifts - to Betty Grable, for instance. But as to whether George ever rode a horse . . . that I don't know. Unlike Cagney, Raft preferred the urban life.

I can't picture Bela Lugosi in chaps, either.
charliechaplinfan

I knew he'd have been involved with horses but was unsure whether it only went as far as betting on them. Horses as gifts, that's generous and more original than a mink stole or diamond bracelet. Because he is so urbane it's difficult to picture him on a horse or on a farm setting like Cagney. I really understand stars like Cagney and Stanwyck putting their money into their own farm or ranch, it makes perfect sense.

I can't see Bela in chaps either.
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

And now for something completely different:

George Raft and Sylvia Sidney in YOU AND ME (Paramount 1938) Produced and Directed by Fritz Lang, Original Music by Kurt Weil (!?)

[youtube][/youtube]
charliechaplinfan

I've wanted to watch this for so long. Thank you :D
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

charliechaplinfan wrote:I've wanted to watch this for so long. Thank you :D
I'd never heard of this film, and wasn't even searching for it - it just sort of popped up some how in a search I did for Al Bowlly tunes! Anyhoo, I watched it right away and thought it was really enjoyable and oddball at the same time. What a sharp print! I think Sylvia has the better role in this over George.
intothenitrate

Post by intothenitrate »

Reading about Alison Skipworth's scene-stealing above reminded me of a story I read in the Peter Lorre biography The Lost One. Lorre and Raft appeared in the WWII adventure film Background to Danger. Apparently, there's a scene where Raft is tied up in a chair. They rehearsed it, and then, when it was time to shoot it, Lorre changed his position from where it had been when they rehearsed. Raft said to Lorre, "What are you doing?" Lorre replied, "Why, I'm stealing the scene Georgie." This infuriated Raft, who struggled against the ropes unsuccessfully, bellowing, "You son of a..." I don't think there was a permanent row resulting from the incident. I just love the thought of Lorre taunting him impishly while he was tied up.
"Immorality may be fun, but it isn't fun enough to take the place of one hundred percent virtue and three square meals a day."
Goodnight Basington