George Raft

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
feaito

Re: George Raft

Post by feaito »

Western Guy wrote:Thanks Fernando. Yes, I quoted from some of that correspondence in my book. Things got pretty testy between the pair; probably the worst on-set experience for either of them, particularly Robinson.

Got me to thinking what would have happened had George accepted the role of Walter Neff in DOUBLE INDEMNITY. Things would not smooth over between the two until 14 years later during the making of A BULLET FOR JOEY, so the enmity surely still would have existed during filming of the Wilder film only three years after their blowup. And to hear Raft (Neff) frequently comment to Robinson (Keyes): "I love you, too" . . . hmmmm.
I am glad to read that. Looking forward to reading your book which is on my Wish List.

I was particularly impressed that due to the incident sb. from Warners sent a letter to the Screen Actor's Guild denouncing Raft's behaviour against Robinson. Also Behlmer stated that apparently both actors were rivals over Dietrich or something of sorts.

I can't picture Raft in DI speaking those lines of dialogue :wink:
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Fernando, the infatuation over Dietrich apparently seems to be more on Raft's part. He believed that Eddie may have shared romantic feelings over her - and Robinson might have - secretly, though there was no mention of any such attraction in Eddie's autobiography - nor did Eddie's granddaughter Francesca believe Eddie harbored such feelings towards Marlene. Raft unfortunately seemed to be possessed of a lot of insecurity and was quick to take offense to both real and imagined slights -- and he was truthful enough to admit that he was easily made jealous.

Safe to say that the confrontation of the set of MANPOWER was entirely Raft's fault.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thank you for the further info Stone. This Behlmer book is truly enlightening.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I can't believe how lax my movie viewing has become for a myriad of reasons. I have had chance to hire the first season of Boardwalk Empire from our library. is it because I'm British that the first couple of episodes were a bit of a jumble, it's only when I got the importance of some of the names Al Capone (obviously) Rothstein, Luciano, Meyer Lasky that I realise I might be getting a history of how the mob interconnects. The first two episodes were patchy, it promised more than it delivered or so I thought, now I'm really into it and going to rent the second season. The reason I bring it to George's thread is that I know the man who knows about these things who started this thread plus I can see George popping up in this series at some point, not yet too early but all his pals seem to be there :D here's hoping, heavens only knows who'll play him.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Hi Alison - Been a while. Nice to see you're back. Oh yeah, George Raft would fit well into the dramatics of Boardwalk Empire - the mob fringe member who goes to Hollywood and becomes a success playing gangsters in the movies. Really would like to see the producers work that into the storyline; would add a whole new dimension to the show.

Problem is: Don't know who would make a good G.R. Can't really think of any "name" performer. Would probably have to be a talented unknown who could make the part his own.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I can't believe how lax my movie viewing has become

My problem is that I watch too much utter nonsense on TV. By the time all that's over, it's too late for a movie!
feaito

Post by feaito »

RedRiver wrote:I can't believe how lax my movie viewing has become

My problem is that I watch too much utter nonsense on TV. By the time all that's over, it's too late for a movie!
It happens to me sometimes and it's annoying :wink:
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

TV is like an unhealthy relationship. It's not good for you, but it's so darned comfortable! I mostly watch the news channels. But then I flip through the late night sitcoms. The next thing you know, it's midnight!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'm guilty of that too. Chris doesn't like my old movies and we don't really converge on a lot of TV either but we do seem to like the HBO series. We were lost in the beginning, I didn't even know it was based on the truth at first but in cases like these the truth is usually better than any movie script. I think if they brought in George Raft into later programmes it would have to be a no name. They've had Houdini's brother and I think Bessie Smith singing in the background. Did George ever go to Atlantic City? Perhaps this is like asking is the sea blue. Did he perform there? It's interesting.

I'm in the dog house at the moment, I signed up for this service called listening books it's aimed at people like me who get a bit word blind and have a disability. It's a great find considering audible is £8 a month, this just has a small yearly charge and unlimited downloads. It's great for me because I love books and literature but in doing so I crashed the whole computer and Chris spent the whole weekend sorting it out for me and as we only have this computer he wasn't a happy bunny. I've got the books downloaded though so I'm a happy girl.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

So much of television really has become garbage. How can a station like The Learning Channel get away with featuring such (sarcasm alert) mind-stimulation as Honey Boo Boo and that exercise into sleaziness Breaking Amish? And the proliferation of reality shows on commercial TV - with more to come in the fall . . .

If not for TCM I would not even subscribe to cable. Even Canada's Sci-Fi channel is getting heavy on "Fear Factor"-type shows.

The only programs I care to watch are retro shows where broadcast, Pawn Stars (where at least you can obtain a thumbnail history lesson) and - maybe a guilty pleasure - Sharks' Tank and its Canadian counterpart Dragons Den.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

How can they call it HEADLINE NEWS when all they show is murder trial coverage? It used to give the headlines. It served a brief, superficial purpose. Now? It's The Lovers Quarrel That Resulted in Murder Channel! I'm convinced some channels only have commercials. I don't know what their programming is. Every time I flip to it, it's a commercial!

I'm quite sure there's some good TV available. Maybe even more than in previous years. But it's all in serial format. If you don't watch every week, you have no idea what's going on!
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

R.R., yes, we're beseiged by negativity when it comes to news coverage. While it may serve a purpose (at least I pray it does), how much more graphic crime and child abductions/murders must we be exposed to? To me at least, television no longer represents entertainment. Sad times that we live in. No wonder so much of today's youth is screwed up, hepped on crap like rap. We grew up with attempts at values; kids today are witness to despair, sleaze and disrespect to parents and other forms of authority.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That's hilarious about Headline News, red! It's true!

I wish A&E would change their name to the crime channel.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

No kidding, Wendy. Remember when A&E had that great Biography series with Peter Graves and Jack Perkins? Now it's that horrid "The First 48" among other programs that serve to remind us of how sleazy society has become.

That's entertainment . . . ???!!!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

They used to show lots of classy stuff. Now it's 'all murder all the time'. :D