Edward G. Robinson

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
charliechaplinfan

Re: Edward G. Robinson

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I don't know who my favourite actor is anymore, the list grows longer and longer as to the actors who I'd watch in anything. It is difficult to pick a favourite actor just out of the roster of tough guys but Edward G had the most range, perhaps that bull dog face was a bonus, there are a number of films in which he played, for want of another word, an unwanted man who wanted love and was wide open for any opportunists. Which is the film where he has a harridan as a wife and Joan Bennett is playing up to him, conning him of course, I'm sure it's a Lang movie, so good but Eddie's performance broke my heart.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'm pretty sure that's SCARLET STREET, though THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW is similar.
charliechaplinfan

That's what I thought, I just couldn't remember which was which.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

SCARLET STREET is a gas - to watch Eddie as a milquetoast, so totally subjugated by his shrewish wife's dominance that he actually wears an apron!

But that wonderful actor pulls it off brilliantly. IMO, Eddie could do it all. Let's face it, could Bogie, Raft or Cagney be convincing in this part?

I'll say it again: Eddie remains my Number 1 fave!
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

After reading through this thread I've watched a few EGR movies over the past few days. I've seen Scarlet Street, The Red House, Soylent Green, All My Sons. I started to watch The Cincinnati Kid but I don't care for Steve McQueen. Am planning to watch House of Strangers tomorrow night. I've seen several of his films in the past, such as Double Indemnity, The Stranger, The Ten Commandments (oh how I love to hate Dathan) and Our Vines Have Tender Grapes. Anyway, out of the ones I've seen so far this week, All My Sons is without a doubt my favorite. I've seen the stage play twice, first in the 1980s with Richard Kiley as Joe Keller, and second in the 1990s with John Cullum in the lead, but I think EGR's characterization has them both beat. He's terrific. I definitely need to pay more attention to his films. :)
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Western Guy wrote:Hope you don't mind the correction, movieman. I think you meant BROTHER ORCHID. Can't quite picture Eddie, as versatile as he was, as a military cadet.
I never mind a correction. I just hate that I need one. I'm usually better at it. Thanks.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Hey, just a slip. Made a good one myself in my interview with Coleen Gray, where I mistakenly said that as a child she walked ten miles to see a movie in her hometown, when it actually was two. Coleen's a good friend, though, and was very gracious about my flub.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

We type faster than we think. What I hate is when I say something intended to be clever, but leave out the most important word in the sentence! Not only is it not funny, it's not even coherent! At least, we can edit. What's up with Facebook? If you don't like what you've posted, all you can do is delete and start over.
charliechaplinfan

I couldn't imagine Bogie, Cagney or Raft in an apron, I think that has to be one of my favourite Edward G performances for me, I ran through so many emotions when watching it, although judging by all th eposts about his films I've lots more to watch yet.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

. . . And Alison you won't be disappointed watching any of 'em.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Little Caesar in an apron is quite a sight! Not only is that a reflection of a brilliant piece of filmmaking, it's yet another look at this truly peerless performer.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Scarlet Street is just THE BOMB! It's such a great movie, centered on Robinson, out of the frying pan and into the fire, but there are SO many great performances in it. I can't think of a character in it who isn't fascinating.... it's cast brilliantly. I just love Lang's sense of humor in this movie, the art part alone is hilarious.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Yes Wendy, it's a wonderful film, somewhat underrated maybe because of its similarities to the better-regarded WOMAN IN THE WINDOW, though more effective IMO because it contains one of the saddest, most unexpected and haunting finales - the 180 of WitW.
intothenitrate

Post by intothenitrate »

I love him in Double Indemnity.
"Immorality may be fun, but it isn't fun enough to take the place of one hundred percent virtue and three square meals a day."
Goodnight Basington
Vienna

Post by Vienna »

Western Guy wrote:Yes Wendy, it's a wonderful film, somewhat underrated maybe because of its similarities to the better-regarded WOMAN IN THE WINDOW, though more effective IMO because it contains one of the saddest, most unexpected and haunting finales - the 180 of WitW.
Western Guy, what a perceptive and descriptive statement. Says it all.
The Scarlet Street ending is unforgettable and the tragedy of it is indeed the opposite of Woman in the Window.