Dinah Sheridan Railway Children actress RIP

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

Dinah Sheridan Railway Children actress RIP

Post by stuart.uk »

Sad to report the British actress Dinah Sheridan passed away today. Here's a tribute I've written about her.

Dinah Sheridan might not be well known globally and even young UK film buffs might not recall her, but she made enough classic movies to be worthy of a tribute.

As a young actress she played the part of the hero's wife Steve in 2 Paul Temple movies and was Dirk Bogarde's love interest in Appointment In London in a war film that resembles Gregory Peck's Twelve O'Clock High. However, it's 2 films she's best known, one of which was made in the early part of her career, Genevieve with John Gregson, Kenneth More and Kay Kendall.
For some reason Dinah stopped making movies for a number of years, but what a comeback in the 2nd film she's most famous for Lionel Jeffries The Railway Children with Iain Cuthbertson, Jenny Agutter, Sally Thomsett and Bernard Cribbens.

Dinah in the latter part of her career went into tv, noteably making medical sit com Don't Wait Up with Tony Britton and Nigel Havers. She also played a noteable role in the Doctor Who feature length special The Five Doctors, though her scenes were only with the then current Doctor Peter Davison

Dinah was for a while married to actor Jimmy Hanley, who was in the Huggett's film series, The Blue Lamp, the original Gaslight and Henry 5th. They had a daughter Jenny Hanley, who was a well known actress and childrens tv presenter in the 1970s with Magpie
Jezebel38

Re: Dinah Sheridan Railway Children actress RIP

Post by Jezebel38 »

Aged 92 - I'm happy she had such a long life. GENEVIEVE is one of my top favorite British films, and I think her role is the heart of this dear film.