Your favorite character actors

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
JackFavell

Re: Your favorite character actors

Post by JackFavell »

Melville Cooper, the dough-faced prig with the haughty eyebrows doesn't really excite the senses at first, but I've come to appreciate him so much. From Birmingham, England originally, he got good reviews in the incredibly popular The Farmer's Wife, the touring company of which was the proving ground for most British actors of the time. WWI interrupted his career, and he became a brave, war-proven soldier, captured as a prisoner of war by the Germans. Oddly enough, he made his mark on stage in the anti-war trench drama Journey's End. When I looked up his film credits, I was surprised to find that he had substantial roles in some of the best movies of the 30's and 40's, though I barely remembered him from most, except of course his role in The Adventures of Robin Hood and his turn as the pompous Mr. Collins in Pride and Prejudice. He also shows up in Rebecca, Tovarich, Father of the Bride, Random Harvest, The Dawn Patrol, The Last of Mrs. Cheyney, The Scarlet Pimpernel, and The Lady Eve. That's pretty impressive! I very much enjoyed the way they described his characters at IMDB:
"Britisher Melville Cooper practically cornered the market on disdainful servants. Fortunately he was able to show more range than that and churned out a gallery of usually undesirable types in his nearly three-decade film career -- prigs, cowards, blunderers, con artists, thieves and sniveling turncoats...
Lately I've been appreciating him immensely in his lesser known characterizations. In Tovarich he plays the vainglorious and wealthy head of a spoiled family. He has no more wit than a potato, this fellow, but he's rich. He's not cruel, quite benign in fact; his amour-propre makes him rather silly, preening and priding himself on all that Charles Boyer and Claudette Colbert teach him about true class. He's also rather shyly smitten with Colbert, which is charming. Cooper brings such delightful comic skill to his role here that I wondered how I could have overlooked him in other films. His general style of comedy is rather self effacing, setting himself as a piece of an ensemble, rather than as a standout performer, and I have to give him credit for his understatedness, though he can steal a scene well enough. I think this is why he is not more talked about. His character in Tovarich grows as a person, at least somewhat, and becomes endearing, rather than buffoonish. For me, this is Cooper at his best.

I find him funny in a wry way in nearly all the films I've seen him in. In the meh Gold Diggers of Paris (which is not as charming as the other entries in the Gold DIggers series, but benefits from some good supporting actors) Cooper was a relief. He made me chuckle throughout this film more than any of the other cast members. Frankly, I wish that Melville Cooper had all the roles that Hugh Herbert got, he's far funnier, taking common human foibles and turning them into a comic goldmine.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Can't remember who was trying to find the name of the manicurist in The Women, but I just saw her in The Model and the Marriage Broker, as a woman desperate to marry off her sister in law. Her name is Dennie Moore, and you know her immediately by her voice. Her sister in law is Nancy Kulp, who "lands" Zero Mostel.
Dennie

Nancy
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks knitty! I wish now I had watched The Model and The Marriage Broker.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I watched the comedy drama. It was well-done, well-acted. Thelma Ritter is an amazing presence in films. Even Scott Brady was kind of light and loose-y goose-y.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
norfious

Post by norfious »

JackFavell wrote: Melville Cooper
Ah, yes! Watching The Lady Eve again the other night reminded me how much I like this actor. I enjoy the cool, superior air he brings to a lot of his characters, even if some of them are con-men and thieves. :)

In general, find I enjoy character actors a great deal--often more so than the leading ladies and leading men. For a while, TCM had a little "What a Character!" bumper that gave a little mini-bio of some of the better-known character actors, which I really liked. I haven't seen that bump in a while (though I have been working full time and haven't had the chance to watch much), but I hope they do more of that little series.

As for my favorite character actors, I have far too many, but here are a few in no particular order:
Eric Blore
Allen Jenkins
Joseph Calleia (of course)
Mischa Auer
Frank McHugh
Joe Sawyer
S.Z Sakall
Conrad Veidt
_Broadway_ from the TCM forums.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

norfious, I believe this is the start of a beautiful friendship. :D

My true love is really the character actor - I adore all those on your list. I even have a few bit actors that I love, most notably Pat Flaherty who I'm sure you would recognize, especially if you hoid him speak:

ImageImageImage
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Her sister in law is Nancy Kulp, who "lands" Zero Mostel.

Better him than Jethro!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

RedRiver wrote:Her sister in law is Nancy Kulp, who "lands" Zero Mostel.

Better him than Jethro!

I did not know that ... Thanks RR!
norfious

Post by norfious »

JackFavell wrote:norfious, I believe this is the start of a beautiful friendship. :D

My true love is really the character actor - I adore all those on your list. I even have a few bit actors that I love, most notably Pat Flaherty who I'm sure you would recognize, especially if you hoid him speak:

ImageImageImage
Indeed! It's evident, very, our tastes are one. :)

Wow, I just looked up Pat Flaherty and was surprised at how many films he was in that I had seen. Sadly, he was uncredited for many roles and I barely even knew he was in them. Next time I watch, I'll have to keep an eye out!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

His voice is the most distinctive part of him. Once you hear it, you'll find him turning up in one out of five movies on TCM usually as a flatfoot or an underworld lug. He was a star football player, then got bit by the acting bug. His best roles are in My Man Godfrey (he has the first line, and is the guy William Powell goes to visit at the dump when he gets his idea for the nightclub) and in The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer, as the coach in charge of the picnic games.
norfious

Post by norfious »

JackFavell wrote:His voice is the most distinctive part of him. Once you hear it, you'll find him turning up in one out of five movies on TCM usually as a flatfoot or an underworld lug. He was a star football player, then got bit by the acting bug. His best roles are in My Man Godfrey (he has the first line, and is the guy William Powell goes to visit at the dump when he gets his idea for the nightclub) and in The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer, as the coach in charge of the picnic games.
Wow, I'll have to watch My Man Godfrey again and take a listen. I've seen that movie so many times...I can't believe I didn't recognize him!

Thanks for the tip! :)
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hey, norfious, looking at your list over again, I'd love seeing (if you aren't too busy) why you like each of those actors, or maybe list your favorite movie or 2 movies by them and why you like those particular performances. It's a good way to get to know someone.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Well...I have to admit, I don't meet many Betty Garde fans! Come to think of it, I'd never heard of her until this week! A neighbor, and classic movie fan, shared his interest with me. So I add this comment, not from my own fondness for the lady, but in honor of my friend's rather obscure affection. Betty Garde: She played the famous Wanda Skutnik (can anybody forget that name?) in CALL NORTHSIDE 777. I'm a fan of the movie. But I didn't know the name of the actress. I'm told she graced the women's correctional facility in the sensational CAGED, a camp favorite of some; unseen by this poster.

Betty appeared in at least two TWILIGHT ZONES; the airplane that zaps back and forth through time (spotting dinosaurs on Manhattan Island), and the extremely clever "Midnight Sun," with the earth getting hotter and hotter...at least, as far as we know! BEN CASEY, ROUTE 66 and other Golden Age classics round out the resume' of this "working girl"; her name known by few, her contributions appreciated by many. I'm glad she has at least one loyal fan!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Betty Garde is terrific in Caged as Kitty Stark, queen bee of the correctional, and she's also got a pivotal role in Cry of the City with Victor Mature and Richard Conte. Great choice!
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Red R.

You must, must, must view "Caged".. So many actresses, so many great performances; and Betty Garde is a standout..
It's hard to be noticed among Eleanor Parker, Hope Emerson and Lee Patrick, not to mention Agnes Moorehead, but she manages it.
Your friend has picked a good choice to champion.

Now - you must stay after class and your detention is to watch "Caged" and report back!!!

Larry