Your favorite character actors

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
RedRiver

Re: Your favorite character actors

Post by RedRiver »

You'd think my time in Chicago, where the midnight show, CO-ED PRISON SLUTS ran for years, would have primed my interest for that type of melodrama! Looks like I have some homework to do!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It's a great movie, red! Not at all what I expected it to be and Betty Garde is just fantastic. My favorite character, out of a BUNCH of great characters.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u]RedRiver[/u] wrote:Well...I have to admit, I don't meet many Betty Garde fans! Come to think of it, I'd never heard of her until this week! A neighbor, and classic movie fan, shared his interest with me. So I add this comment, not from my own fondness for the lady, but in honor of my friend's rather obscure affection... I'm glad she has at least one loyal fan!
Count me in as another fan of Betty Garde. Admittedly I haven't seen her in a lot, but she has a presence I like.

ImageImage

Red, get yourself a copy of "CAGED" and check it out asap. C'mon. Step up your game from Svengoolie.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
clore

Post by clore »

Wow - funny that this is the first thread that I opened just five minutes after seeing Betty Garde on an episode of MR LUCKY along with Berry Kroeger and Ted De Corsia.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

The Silver Screen Oasis. A strange and curious case of Kismet. :shock:

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I wonder if Netflix has CAGED. I let my membership expire, but I could re-join just for that! Isn't there another women's prison film we've discussed? Which is the favorite among our ranks?
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Caged is definitely my favorite and ny best, with Hold Your Man as a runner up.
rerun

Post by rerun »

George Zucco
[color=#0000BF][i]Avatar: John Cantarini (Martha's husband) on future world record holder Crazy Kid. He won six in a row
on him.[/i][/color]
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

RedRiver wrote:I wonder if Netflix has CAGED. I let my membership expire, but I could re-join just for that! Isn't there another women's prison film we've discussed? Which is the favorite among our ranks?
They don't; it's got "save" next to it, which from my experience when it come to classic films at Netflix means "forget it buddy, you'll never see it here".
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha! that's about the size of it, Lomm. :D

My favorite George Zucco role is in Lured. Of course, he's a great Moriarty to Basil Rathbone's Holmes... and I like him very much as Trist in Captain Fury. But when you mention his name, the first image of him that comes to my mind is this one from After the Thin Man, where he plays the fixated doctor, who looks quite mad:

ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Those are the movies I associated him with until I saw THE MONSTER AND THE GIRL (Stuart Heisler 1941).

But, then, I'm such a sucker for Mad Scientists transplanting human brains into gorillas.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I think that's how most Punk bands are formed!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha! That's funny, Red!

I knew there was a reason I needed to see that movie, aside from the fact that Joseph Calleia was in it!

The Monster and the Girl:
[youtube][/youtube]
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Wendy, didn't you tell me you saw a movie the other day that had a plethora of character actors in it? I'm trying to think...is it with Ginger Rogers?

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yesterday I saw Professional Sweetheart, Maven, if that's what you mean. It was wonderful - Frank McHugh, Allen Jenkins, Edgar Kennedy, Zasu Pitts, Gregory Ratoff, Theresa Harris, Sterling Holloway, Franklin Pangborn and Lucien Littlefield! Heaven for those of us who like the supporting players best. Oh and Ginger Rogers and Norman Foster were the stars.

I've been spotting Charles Jordan lately - at least I think that's his name. I can't find or post a photo right now due to some computer problems I've been having... but I know you know him. Bald head with a little white hair visible above the ears, receding chin with large teeth, skinny and nervous. He played the bartender today in Dead Reckoning, the one who blanched visibly at the mention of Bogie's army buddy, but then warmed up to Bogie and was going to meet him later to give him info on his friend. Of course, later never came. He's in tons of films, westerns, noirs, right through the 30's, 40's and 50's. Wish I could give a better description or even look up some of his other movies, but I seem to only be able to get through to the SSO right now. Thank goodness!