Screwed on Oscar Night

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
mongoII

Screwed on Oscar Night

Post by mongoII »

No doubt that many fans were dismayed when Judy Garland didn't get the Oscar for "A Star Is Born" in 1954, losing to Grace Kelly for "The County Girl".
Also upsetting was the loss of an Oscar to Rod Steiger for his outstanding performance in "The Pawnbroker" to Lee Marvin for "Cat Ballou" in 1965.

What are some other shockwaves that you recall throughout the years on Oscar night regarding the nominees?
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Joe,

I'll pick some recent ones that vexed me:

Edward Norton for "Primal Fear"
Haley Joel Osmand for "The Sixth Sense" and
Joaquin Phoenix for "Gladiator".

I was very happy indeed though when Adrien Brody won for "The Pianist".
Other than that, I haven't cared or given a damn for any nominees for decades.

Larry
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Gloria Swanson for Sunset Blvd and James Mason for A Star is Born. Mason probably lost because his role was severly truncated in the post-premiere cut.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

traceyk

Post by traceyk »

Katharine Hepburn for "Summertime"
Marlene Dietrich for "Witness for the Prosecution"

Haven't paid enough attention to recent ones, though I agree about Haley Joel Osmet. He was amazing in "The 6th Sense."

Tracey
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Clark Gable for GWTW. I thought his performance in this movie surpassed that of It Happened One Night because it encompassed humour and intense drama.
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

MissGoddess wrote:Clark Gable for GWTW. I thought his performance in this movie surpassed that of It Happened One Night because it encompassed humour and intense drama.
I agree.

As much as I adore IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT, GWTW is Gable's signature role. Didn't Robert Donat win that year?

Cus he was very good....but here we are almost 70 years later, and even the non-film fan knows who Rhett Butler is...and who played him.
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

The other night when I was watching THE AWFUL TRUTH, Robert Osbourne mentioned that neither Cary Grant nor Irene Dunne ever won an Oscar.

Somethin' is DEFINITELY wrong with THAT picture.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

JohnM, no doubt that Grace Kelly gave a fine performance as the dowdy Georgie Elgin in "The Country Girl".
Other than the Oscar, she also won a *Golden Globe Award, the New York Fim Critics Award, and was honored by the National Board of Review.

One critic wrote: You have to see Grace Kelly in the bags-under-her-eyes make-up and spinster get-ups to believe it. She looks at least ten years older than her 25 years with a sour puss of a face and an attitude to match.
I think she won best actress (over Judy Garland in A Star Is Born) partly because her appearance was so stunningly...different. It would seem to be the height of creative casting to put her into such a role, yet she is excellent, wonderful to watch as always, her timing exquisite, her expression indelible, and her sense of character perfect.

*Garland did win the Golden Globe for best actress for "A Star Is Born" in the musical/comedy category.
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi All,

I think everyone who was present in 1948 thought Rosalind Russell would win the Oscar as Best Actress for "Mourning Becomes Electra" (1947).
Apparently, nerly every person she met in the week or so before Oscar night told her she was a shoo-in as they had all voted for her.
Roz and her husband, Freddie Brisson, had hired a publicist to wage a big campaign for her and it was apparently working. He was the same guy who'd won the Award for Joan Crawford and Olivia De Havilland in the previous two years, so Roz went to the ceremony as Queen of the night.
When the announcement came, Roz was half way out of her seat when the name 'Loretta Young' was broadcast.
One of the things Loretta said after the ceremony was, "What'll I tell Roz, what'll I say to Roz?"... They were best friends.

Well, Roz was a good sport about it and the two kissed and hugged and posed for the cameras and all was well between the two.

But was Roz screwed on Oscar night? Only by her publicist. I don't really remember his name but the name Russell Birdwell sticks in my brain!!
Anyway, he was finished in Tinseltown; Freddie Brisson saw to that.

I have hnever seen "Mourning Becomes Electra" but I've heard it is pretty long, boring and turgid. So, maybe everyone just voted for a happy, light and nice picture; and Loretta Young had had 2 or 3 other films that were good about that time too!!

Larry
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Vecchiolarry wrote:I have hnever seen "Mourning Becomes Electra" but I've heard it is pretty long, boring and turgid. So, maybe everyone just voted for a happy, light and nice picture; and Loretta Young had had 2 or 3 other films that were good about that time too!!

Larry
Larry, "Electra" was shown a month or two ago and I watched most of it. It was pretty melodramatic in the most negative sense, but interesting nonetheless. I thought Roz was a bit too old for the part, but that she was excellent. I've never seen her dig so deep into a character in any of her other films.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I taped "Mourning Becomes Electra" some years ago when I visited my relatives who live in the USA and still have not watched it. I'm making a point of watching it as soon as possible. When I realized it was scheduled I taped it because I wanted to see Roz Russell in a dramatic part and I'd read that the O'Neill play in which the film is based is very dramatic indeed (I had only watched her in comedies up to then).

In recent years I've seen her in excellent dramatic films: "Craig's Wife" (one of my favorites), "The Citadel" (very touching) and "Night Must Fall" (Bob Montgomery impressive) and she's good in all of them. The only drama I recall not liking and even not getting the point, is the rather odd and offbeat "The Guilt of Janet Ames", which I remember as flawed film, although I feel Melvyn Douglas and Rosalind tried to do their best,
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi Judith & Fernando,

I have always liked Rosalind Russell and she was truly a grand star, always well dressed and vivacious.
I didn't know her, although I've seen her around but not often. Judy, Loretta Young's daughter, didn't really care for her and said she was loud and interferring but I didn't have that experience.
One that Judy and I didn't really care for and I never got to know her was Irene Dunne. She was rather cold and aloof, with a serpent's smile. Once Judy said to me as Irene passed us and smiled our way - "She reminds me of the witch in 'Snow White' saying - Go on, take a bite!!" - and I had to agree..
Although of all the female stars, Irene Dunne was the most talented, I think and I've always enjoyed her films.

I must make it a point to see "Mourning Becomes Electra" just to say I've seen it; and "The Guilt of Janet Ames", which I've never seen either.
I watched Roz in "The Velvet Touch" last week and I enjoyed it. She was very good in her role of a guilt ridden murderess. And, Claire Trevor & Sydney Greenstreet were superb, as always.

Larry
feaito

Post by feaito »

I had heard about Ms. Dunne being cold and aloof in her private life, but then, on the other hand, as you say Larry, she was one of the most talented actresses of her Era.

I've watched recently another quite entertaining comedy of Rosalind, which I had not seen before, "Tell it to the Judge", with Robert Cummings. Amiable but nothing special.

I'd like to see her in "Take a Letter Darling". I bet that one's superb film!