Favorite Movie Quotes

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
laffite

Re: Favorite Movie Quotes

Post by laffite »

An English man and an English woman (friends) are on a mission to negotiate an Italian widower to give up his English-Italian baby because the baby will have a better life in England. Setting: Italy (ca1905). The man says, "Well, all we can do is the best we can. If we fail to get the baby, at least we can say we tried." The woman is appalled, "But that's not doing anything. Either you are to get the baby or not get the baby but you have to at least try, not make up excuses in advance." The man wavers.

Now here's the line, one of the best in all movies. The lady says to the the man.

"Look, either the baby will stay in Italy where everyone loves him but he'll be brought up badly, or the baby will be in England where no one loves him but he'll be brought up well. There, that's the situation simple enough for even you to understand."

Wow!

Where Angels Fear to Tread (1991)
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Another from Whit Stillman's METROPOLITAN -- Audrey: "There's something about winter in the city at night with everyone dressed up that reminds me of War and Peace"

Sgt. Carlino in WAIT UNTIL DARK: "This is some day for a schlep up to Asbury Park"
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Jack Lint : [about his wife's cosmetic surgery] Remember how they used to stick out?

Sam Lowry : Oh, um yes. I always used to wonder if they were real.

Alison : My ears?

*awkward pause*

Sam Lowry : Yes, I always used to wonder if she wore falsies. False ears...
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

"And so we march forward on the bones of ranting housepainters, Italian clowns and Georgian peasants" -- George Sanders, WITNESS TO MURDER
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

"Always tell the truth, it's the easiest thing to remember"- Al Pacino in Glengarry Glen Ross (1992)
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Addie Pray to Mose after he claimed he had scruples and asked her if she knew what scruples were:

"No I don't know what scruples are but if you got 'em it's a sure bet they belong to somebody else!"
From PAPER MOON('73)

Sepiatone
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

"If there's one thing I wouldn't want to be twice, zombies is both of them!" -- Mantan Moreland in King of the Zombies (1941)
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

In TOM HORN, Steve McQueen, as Horn, tells future heavyweight champion Gentleman Jim Corbett;

Geronimo is a man so great you'd have to stand on your Mother's shoulder's just to kiss his ass."
Or...words to that effect. ;)

Sepiatone
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

"You may run away but you will never escape me, you are the one in my dreams of blood!" -- Estelle Helmsley in The Leech Woman

Belle

Post by Belle »

"You remind me of the thief: he's not sorry he stole the money but he's very sorry he's going to jail". (Rhett Butler to Scarlett, Gone With the Wind).
Belle

Post by Belle »

"Ethics? Once I had ethics, once I was young, once I had ideals, once I was registered...and then you happened.....there's a kind of animal thing about you....let's crash out of here, let's steal an ambulance and run for the border.." (Carolyn Jones to Tom Ewell, "The Seven Year Itch).

An absolutely hilarious film!!
Belle

Post by Belle »

"The last mass trials were a great success; there are going to be fewer but better Russians". (Ninotchka, 1939).
Grumpytoad

Post by Grumpytoad »

The very first movie line that made me whisper "oh sh.."

"You're like a leaf that the wind blows from one gutter to another.”

OUT OF THE PAST from 1947.
Belle

Post by Belle »

Grumpytoad wrote: June 11th, 2023, 12:54 am The very first movie line that made me whisper "oh sh.."

"You're like a leaf that the wind blows from one gutter to another.”

OUT OF THE PAST from 1947.
I absolutely love that film!!!
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Mike Meyers in Wayne's World - ordering in a Chinese restaurant:

"I'll have the Cream of Sum Yung Guy"