In The Spotlight Redux

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I can usually spot Sidney Blackmer right away when he isn't wearing a hat, (that toupee, don'tcha know), but that guy in the above photo does look like Herbert Marshall to me--at least as he appeared as a Southern n'er do well in Duel in the Sun.

Honestly, Mr. Marshall didn't look like himself in that movie, particularly in the early scenes when he confronts his wayward wife. I think David O. Selznick must've been annoying the makeup people or something by asking them to make "Bert" look young and headstrong or something. Instead, he wound up looking like Sidney Blackmer.

Or, maybe it is Sidney. Mongo, any guesses?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Moira, it's beginning to look like Burl Ives to me (just kidding). I can't say for sure whether it's actually Marshall or Blackmer at this point (I did think it was Marshall).
I have to see the movie again to see which gent is wearing the plaid-like vest as shown in the picture. Does anyone on the SSO board have a video of the film "Duel In the Sun" to confirm who it actually is? The scene takes place at the beginning of the movie.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I saw the film recently and that's Sidney Blackmer for sure. That's the scene in which Tilly Losch teases Blackmer and takes him to her room, while husband (Marshall) is playing cards in a table not a far away and looking at her unfaithful wife.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thank you Fernando!
This is one inquiring mind that is mighty relieved to have this mystery cleared up by your keen eyes and recent viewing of Duel in the Sun. :wink:

Now you have one picture for any future Sidney Blackmer profile, Joe! (But Sid and Bert do look similar in that cockamamie movie).

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Thanks, Nando. I was beginning to think it was Burl Ives, too! :lol:
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

In the Spolight: RICHARD JAECKEL
One of Hollywood's most prolific supporting stars, he was born Richard Hanley Jaeckel in Long Island, New York, on October 10, 1926. Jaeckel's family moved to Los Angeles when he was still in his teens.

After graduation from Hollywood High School, Jaeckel was discovered by a casting director at age 17 while working as a mailboy for 20th Century-Fox. Although he had some reluctance to act, Jaeckel auditioned for a key part in the war epic "Guadalcanal Diary" (1943).
He won the role and settled into a lengthy career in supporting parts, graduating from playing baby-faced teenagers (never seemed to age) to gunfighters and hired killers with ease.
Jaeckel with Lloyd Nolan in "Guadalcanal Diary" (1943)

He served in the US Navy from 1944 to 1949, then starred in two of the most remembered war films of 1949, "Battleground" and "Sands of Iwo Jima" with John Wayne.
ImageImage
Jaeckel has supporting roles in both 1949 films.

He also played the role of Turk, the daughter's boyfriend, in the celebrated 1952 film "Come Back, Little Sheba", co-starring with Shirley Booth, Burt Lancaster, and Terry Moore.

He had parts in, "Wing and a Prayer", "City Across the River" as one of the Amboy Dukes, "The Gunfighter" with Gregory Peck, "My Son John", "Big Leaguer", "Attack", "3:10 to Yuma" with Glenn Ford, "Cowboy", "The Lineup", "The Naked and the Dead", "Flaming Star", etc.
Tough-guy Jaeckel (below) gunned down by Gregory Peck (1950)

Jaeckel (in bed), John Derek & Walter Brennan in "Sea of Lost Ships"
Jaeckel (in car) with John Derek & Wanda Hendrix in "Sea of Lost Ships"(1954)

Jaeckel as a 'dipsomaniac' in "The Lineup" (1958)

Jaeckel's other notable roles include one of a trio of GIs accused of raping a German girl in "Town Without Pity" (1961), a standout performance, and "The Dirty Dozen" (1967) as tough MP Sgt. Clyde Bowren, who goes along on the mission to keep an eye on the prisoners he's trained.
Jaeckel as one of four GIs on trial for rape in "A Town Without Pity" (1961)

Jaeckel (left) with William Bendix & Rory Calhoun in "The Young and the Brave" (1963)

Jaeckel (left) with Joseph Cotten (center) in "Latitude Zero" (1969)

The highlight of Jaeckel's career was in 1971, when he received an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor for his role in "Sometimes a Great Notion" as Paul Newman's unfortunate brother. It was Newman who persisted in getting him the role.
ImageImage
With Paul Newman (at right) in his climactic scene in "Sometimes a Great Notion."

Also in numerous TV episodes, which included a recurring role in the short-lived Andy Griffith vehicle "Salvage 1". In his later years, Jaeckel was known to TV audiences as Lt. Ben Edwards on the series "Baywatch". He also appeared on "Spenser: For Hire", among many others.

Married for many years to his beloved Antoinette (two sons), he was forced to file bankruptcy in early 1994 due to a $1.7 million debt and eventually he lost his home in Brentwood, California and most of his possessions.

Diagnosed with melanoma, he moved into the Motion Picture and Television Hospital in Woodland Hills (after a hassle), he stayed for the next three years until his death in June 1997 at age 70.
His wife, Antoinette, was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease shortly before his death.

His son, Barry, is a professional golfer who has won on the PGA Tour.
ImageImage
In his own words on being diagnosed with melanoma cancer. "I know people are pulling for me to beat this thing, but let them have a glass at the bar for me and let it go at that."
Quoted: "I've put fifty years in movies and my wife and I have traveled all over the world. I've been very lucky." A swell guy.
Last edited by mongoII on March 4th, 2008, 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph Goodheart
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Joe, thanks for the spotlight on this great guy. He has always been one of my favorite actors. No matter what the role, he always gave a solid performance. Always had a crush on him, too :oops:

Nancy
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Richard Jaeckel gave some great performances, particularly when asked to play a guy with a large chip on his shoulders. For some of us, he was also, well, not to put too fine a point on it..."dreamy" looking! *lol* I was reminded again recently how much he managed to make out of smaller parts when he popped up in The Lineup on TCM as the 'dipsomaniac' driver for that crazy 'couple' played by Eli Wallach & Robert Keith. Thanks so much for featuring Mr. Jaeckel in your thread, Mongo.

One small quibble:
20th Century Fox must've been on an economy drive in 1950 when they approved that poster of The Gunfighter to advertise the Gregory Peck movie. I realize that they were probably trying to make the movie star handsome Greg look fierce, but the artist seems to have made Peck look like character actor Will Wright! But hey, maybe that's just me (see Mr. Wright's photo below for comparison)?
Btw, this comment is not intended as a criticism of you, Mongo, just an observation about the amusing likeness I saw in the poster!

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Good obsevation, Moira. I too thought that the image of Peck was sort of off kilter. And yes, he does look like character actor Will Wright.
Joseph Goodheart
Ayres

Post by Ayres »

I seem to recall reading that Peck insisted upon the mustache for authenticity, but I always thought it marred a beautiful man!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I think I heard the director insisted on him wearing it but Peck hated it.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Joe,

Thank you so much for shining your spotlight on Richard Jaeckle.

It's a pity that his memorable work in "Sometimes a Great Notion" is tied up in rights hell. The scene with Newman in the river has stayed with me for over 30 years now.

He had the misfortune to be nominated that year against Ben Johnson as Sam the Lion in "Last Picture Show".

It was one year that I wished would have been a tie.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

mongoII

Post by mongoII »

In the Spotlight: MIRIAM HOPKINS
She was known as "the Golden Girl" in the 1930s when she was a very popular star. Petite at 5' 3", lithe and lovely with golden hair, sleepy blue eyes and a trace of a southern accent she was most often cast as a brash floozy, bitchy blonde and even well-bred ladies.

Ellen Miriam Hopkins was born into wealth on October 18, 1902 in Savannah, Georgia, and raised in Bainbridge, a town in southwestern Georgia near the Alabama border.
She attended a finishing school in Vermont and later Syracuse University in Syracuse, New York.

Studying dance in New York, she received her first taste of show business as a chorus girl at twenty. She appeared in local musicals before she began expanding her horizons by trying out dramatic roles four years later. By 1928, Hopkins was appearing in stock companies on the East Coast and her reviews were getting better after having been vilified earlier in her career.
Miriam Hopkins in her pre-code mode

In 1930, she decided to try the silver screen and signed with Paramount Studios, and made her official film debut in "Fast and Loose".
Hopkins with Herbert Marshall in "Trouble in Paradise" (1932)

Her first great success was in Ernst Lubitsch's masterpiece "Trouble in Paradise" (1932), in which she proved her charm and her wit as a beautiful and jealous pickpocket. During the rest of the 1930s she appeared in such films as "The Smiling Lieutenant", "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde", "Two Kinds of Women", "World and the Flesh", "The Story of Temple Drake", "Design for Living", "Barbary Coast", "Splendor", "These Three", and "Woman Chases Man".
Hopkins and Fredric Mach in "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" (1931)

Hopkins with Jack LaRue (left) in "The Story of Temple Drake" (1933)

Hopkins in between Fredric March & Gary Cooper in "Design for Living" (1933)

Hopkins (above & below)in her Oscar nominated role as "Becky Sharp" (1935)

With Joel McCrea & Edward G. Robinson in "Barbara Coast" (1935).

Good friends Kay Francis and Miriam Hopkins

Hopkins as Martha Dobie in "These Three" (1936)

Hopkins with Joel McCrea in "Woman Chases Man" (1937)

She was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actress as "Becky Sharp" in 1935. It was one of the first full color films ever produced.
Hopkins was one of the actresses who auditioned to portray Scarlett O'Hara in Gone with the Wind, having one advantage that no other leading lady had: she was a native Georgian; however she did not get the part, which went to Vivien Leigh, with Paulette Goddard close behind.
She also appeared in, "Virginia City" with Errol Flynn, "Lady with Red Hair" with Claude Rains, "The Heiress" (Golden Globe nominee best support), "The Children's Hour" (remake of "These Three"), "The Chase" with Brando, etc.
Hopkins with Claude Rains & John Litel in "Lady wih Red Hair" (1940)

Hopkins had well-publicized fights with her arch-enemy Bette Davis (who had an affair with Hopkins’s then husband, diector Anatole Litvak), when they co-starred in their two films "The Old Maid" (1939) and "Old Acquaintance" (1943).

ImageImage
Hopkins with Bette Davis & Marlene Burnett in "The Old Maid" (1939)

One of the scenes in "Old Acquaintance" which Davis admitted to enjoying very much was one where she shakes Hopkins hard. There were even press photos taken with both divas in boxing rings with gloves up and director Vincent Sherman between the two (wish I had a photo). Although she was good friends with actress Kay Francis.

Hopkins (right) seated with Ralph Richardson, Montgomery Clift & Olivia de Havilland (1949)

After "Old Acquaintance" Hopkins didn't work again in film until 1949's "The Heiress". In Mitchell Leisen's 1951's classic screwball comedy "The Mating Season" she gave a comic performance as Gene Tierney's over the top mother, Thelma Ritter also co-starred as Tierney's maid-mother in law.
Hopkins made only three films in the 1950's, but she had begun making appearances on television programs. She returned to the stage turning in a strong performance in the 1958 Pulitzer prize winning play "Look Homeward Angel".

She was married and divorced four times: first to actor Brandon Peters, second to aviator Austin Parker, third to the director Anatole Litvak, and fourth to war correspondent Raymond B. Brock.
In 1932, at a time when single-parent adoption was illegal in most states, she adopted a baby boy while between marriages. She adored her son, Michael, and always called him the most important man in her life.

She was also known for throwing wild parties that bordered on orgies and engaging in a bisexual lifestyle, as chronicled in The book 'Sewing Circle'

Hopkins died in New York, on October 9, 1972 (aged 69) from a heart attack nine days before her 70th birthday.
She was laid to rest at Oak City Cemetery in
Bainbridge, Georgia.

She has two stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame: one for motion pictures, and one for television.
Miriam Hopkins 1902 - 1972

Quoted: "I'm a bad judge of a play or film. I turned down 'It Happened One Night'. It won Claudette Colbert an Oscar. I said it was just a silly comedy."
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Miriam Hopkins quote:

"When I can't sleep, I don't count sheep, I count lovers. And when I reach thirty-eight or thirty-nine, I'm asleep."
Joseph Goodheart
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

mongoII wrote:Miriam Hopkins quote:

"When I can't sleep, I don't count sheep, I count lovers. And when I reach thirty-eight or thirty-nine, I'm asleep."
Ick, Mongo. I find Hopkins one of the most unappetizing women on the Classic screen. She looked like a stumpy, nasty, tart (and not the cake variety). Like a frowsy Mae Busch, and without the sense of humor. From what I've read of her, she wasn't the most popular woman in Hollywood among her peers.