In The Spotlight Redux

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Mongo: Actually I like Miriam Hopkins as an actress. She offered a pretty unsual image of woman at the time. She didn't mind playing nasty girls.
Besides the film you mentioned, there is another one I like particularly: The Stranger's Return (1933), a really excellent King Vidor where she is -unusually- the good girl.
I know that -behind the screen- she wasn't very nice, so to speak.....But, she was a good actress with a brilliant record of masterpieces in her filmography, no doubt about it! :D
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hi Judith & Mongo & anyone else interested in MH,
I thought that Miriam Hopkins was pretty icky for a long time too. Then I came across her work with Lubitsch, Mamoulian, Wyler and Leisen. I think she may have been more than a handful in person, but when working with a good, strong director, she could be very effective. If John Kobal's account of his encounter with her in People Will Talk is any measure, she could be quite perceptive about herself and her career. Ms. Hopkins seemed to understand that she didn't necessarily have the greatest range nor was she a raving beauty, but was determined to "work it" for all she could. Hey, maybe Becky Sharp was a role model for her? I wouldn't have wanted her as a pal...but in small doses in well-crafted movies she definitely brings an edginess and a different sort of energy to a story, unlike more sedate and likable actresses.

Btw, I've always thought she was at her worst in Westerns such as the Errol Flynn oater, Virginia City. Of course, I didn't think that any of the actors (Flynn or Bogart either) covered themselves in glory in that one!
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Moira: I've read that Kobal interview. I thought it really showed her nature: tough! (BTW John Kobal's book is brilliant).
I don't have the same 'history' with Hopkins as I discovered her first in Lubitsch pictures: Design for Living and Trouble in Paradise. I liked her immediately. I didn't know anything about her background at all at the time. Then I saw later in her Mamoulian pictures, in Virginia City as well, which I don't find that bad, actually. She hasn't got much chemistry with her male stars, but, the films goes along at a brisk pace as usual with Curtiz. In The Stranger's Return, she gives a really great performance as Lionel Barrymore's grand daughter. She is the city girl returning to the countryside. A really interesting picture. :)
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

I for one admired her spunk, plus the fact that I found her attractive.
As far as being difficult, at times a woman, especially during the golden age had to fend for herself.
Her tirades with Bette Davis may have been warrented since Miss Davis was also a piece of work (from what I understand).
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

You know, I took an immediate dislike to Hopkins the moment I saw her onscreen, can't even remember in what, and I've yet to get over it. There is something about her looks and her manner that really get up my nose. As always, it's just one of those things.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

In the Spotlight: BURL IVES
Burl Icle Ivanhoe Ives was one of six children of a Scottish-Irish farming family, born on June 14, 1909 near Hunt City in Jasper County, Illinois.
He first sang in public for a soldiers' reunion when he was age 4, performing the folk ballad "Barbara Allen".
In high school, he learned the banjo and played fullback, intending to become a football coach when he enrolled at Eastern Illinois State Teacher's College in 1927. He dropped out in 1930 and wandered, hitching rides, doing odd jobs, street singing.

Ives traveled about the U.S. as an itinerant singer during the early 1930s, earning his way by doing odd jobs and playing his banjo. He was jailed in Mona, Utah, for vagrancy and for singing “Foggy Foggy Dew,” which the authorities decided was a bawdy song. In c. 1931 he landed on WBOW radio in Terre Haute, Indiana. He also went back to school, registering for classes at Indiana State Teachers College (now Indiana State University).

In 1940 Ives began his own radio show, titled 'The Wayfaring Stranger' after one of his ballads. The show was very popular.
In the 1940s he popularized several traditional folk songs, such as “Lavender Blue” (his first hit, a folk song from the 17th century), “Foggy Foggy Dew” (an English/Irish folk song), “Blue Tail Fly” (an old Civil War tune) and “Big Rock Candy Mountain” (an old hobo ditty).

Ives' Broadway career began in 1938 in various musicals including, "This Is the Army", "Sing Out Sweet Land", and "Paint Your Wagon".

In early 1942 Ives was drafted by the military and spent time first at Camp Dix, then at Camp Upton, where he joined the cast of Irving Berlin's "This Is the Army". When the show went to Hollywood, he was transferred to the Army Air Force. He was discharged honorably, apparently for medical reasons.
After which Ives returned to New York City and went to work again for CBS radio for $100 a week.

On Dec. 6, 1945, Ives married 29-year-old script writer Helen Peck Ehrlich and became the father of a daughter. The next year, Ives was cast as a singing cowboy in the film "Smoky".
He also wrote some best selling books, including his autobiography.

Ives was identified in the infamous 1950 pamphlet Red Channels as an entertainer with supposed Communist ties. In 1952, he cooperated with the House Un-American Activities Committee and named fellow folk singer Pete Seeger and others as possible Communists.
His cooperation with the HUAC ended his blacklisting, allowing him to continue with his movie acting. Forty-one years later, Ives and Seeger were reunited in a benefit concert in New York City; they sang "Blue Tail Fly" together.

His most notable Broadway performance was as Big Daddy in "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" (1955-56), a role written specifically for Ives by Tennessee Williams.
Ives in "Sierra" with Audie Murphy & Wanda Hendrix (1950)

Ives as Big Daddy (above) with Paul Newman & (below), with Elizabeth Taylor in "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" (1958).

His movie credits cntinued with "East of Eden" (1955); "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" (1958) and "The Big Country" (1958), for which he won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor (although it is believed he won the award on the strength of his role as Big Daddy in "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof").

Ives (Oscar winner) with Chuck Connors in "The Big Country" (1958)

The cast of "The Big Country" (from rear) Charles Bickford, Jean Simmons, Charlton Heston, Carroll Baker, Burl Ives, Chuck Connors, Alfonso Bedoya, director William Wyler and Gregory Peck.

Other roles included, Disney's "So Dear to My Heart", "The Power and the Prize", "Desire Under the Elms", "Wind Across the Everglades", "Our Man in Havana", "Let No Man Write My Epitaph" a strong drama, "The Spiral Road", "Ensign Pulver", etc.
Ives as Cottonmouth in "Wind Across the Everglades" (1958)

Ives (looking like Charles Coburn) with Sophia Loren in "Desire Under the Elms" (1958)

Poster from "The Spiral Road" (192) with Rock Hudson.

In the 1960s Ives began singing country/folk music with greater frequency. In 1962 he released three songs which became country music hits, “A Little Bitty Tear,” “Call Me Mr In-Between,” and “Funny Way of Laughing.” All three songs also topped the pop charts.
In the 1960s and 1970s, Ives had a number of television roles. He played the narrator, Sam the Snowman, in the animated television special, "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" (1964), a popular favorite which is aired every Christmas.
Ives as Sam the Snowman (1965)

Ives with Brock Peters in "The McMasters" (1970)

Ives and Helen Peck Ehrlich were divorced in 1971. Ives then married Dorothy Koster Paul in London in that same year. In his later years, Ives and his wife, Dorothy, lived with their 3 children in a home located alongside the water in Anacortes, in the Puget Sound area of Washington.
Ives with his wife Dorothy

Ives with his grandchildren

Ives officially retired from show business on his 80th birthday in 1989 although he continued to do frequent benefit performances at his own request.

In 1995 Ives died of cancer of the mouth at the age of 85, and he is interred in Mound Cemetery in Jasper County, Illinois.
The versatile gent does not have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
Last edited by mongoII on March 10th, 2008, 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph Goodheart
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I'm curious: how many of us of a certain age had the Burl Ives record The Little White Duck and Other Children's Favorites? This album has been re-released several times, most recently in 1995 on CD.

I had the ancient original LP issued in 1949. Very likely my mother played it to me pre-natally. My brother had a version released in the mid-50s, the one with the pretty little duck on the cover. I don't recall what the original version had on its cover. I played it for my nursery school kids at nap time. Somewhere out there is a group of adults who can still sing "The Tailor and the Mouse" and "Frog Went A-Courtin'" because of me.

I don't remember if it was on the same disc - the songs about Henry Martin and his Brothers, and Brennan on the Moor - those were more folk-songish - but I seem to remember that they were on my old disc. Maybe they were deleted on subsequent versions because they were a little gruesome for young children. As I recall, "The Little Engine That Could" was not on the original record, so it's possible.

But it was so very long ago, I could be mixing up two separate discs. Who else grew up to Burl Ives' pre-Holly-Jolly Christmas voice?
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Judith, I recall Burl Ives singing 'The Little White Duck' since my little sister had an album.
If I recollect, other ditties included:

Little Engine That Could
Froggie Went A-Courtin'
The Doughnut Song
Two Little Owls
Fooba-Wooba John
The Grey Goose
The Whale
Buckeye Jim
The Sow Took The Measles

Mr. Ives was indeed a revelation with children's songs.
Joseph Goodheart
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I don't remember the records that you and Judith have cited, (though my eldest sister says "Froggy Goes a-Courtin'" whenever she sees an unlikely fellow dressed up for a formal occasion--something I never knew the origin of before today), but I had a little golden record of "I Know an Old Woman Who Swallowed a Fly" sung by Burl Ives. That is, I had it until "someone" in my family (never learned who) got pretty sick of hearing ol' Burl warblin' this tune and "somehow" the record went missing. This was only 40 years ago, so fortunately, I don't hold a grudge. No, not much. :?

In any case, Mongo, thanks for this profile of the talented Mr. Ives. I wasn't always crazy about his acting, (with the possible exception of a few moments in Desire Under the Elms), but have loved his singing. I had no idea that there had been such a complex history between Ives & Pete Seeger. I thought they were always friends and allies in leftie causes. Thank goodness they forgave one another their trespasses. Both men, along with others, did great good preserving and popularizing our heritage of folk music and I am very grateful to them.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
melwalton

Ives

Post by melwalton »

Moira ... Joe
I loved that one about the 'Little Old Lady Who Swallowed the Fly, perhaps she'll Die' It kept getting better til it reached the horse. She's Dead, of Course'. I still laugh when it's mentioned. ... mel
melwalton

actresses

Post by melwalton »

One opinion re; Miriam Hopkins.
She wasn't terribly attractive as other Paramount 'Glamour Girls' ( Colbert, Landi, Kay Francis ) of the period but she was a grade A actress.
( 'She Loves Me Not', 'Dr. Jeryll, Mr. Hyde', 'Design for Living' )
I liked that one about counting lovers instead of sheep. ( she sounds like Tallulah ) At least, she's honest. .... mel
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I now recall that we also had Ives' "Chim-Chim-Cheree" album (for my younger brother). It had the old song "Constantinople," which I still find myself singing:

Connnnnnn-stantinople,
C-O-N-S-T-A-N-T-I-N-O-P-L-E.

It was intended to help you spell the long word, just as we also had little rhymes and things to help us spell "Mississippi," and remember the "I before E, except after C rule." Nowadays, no one cares how they spell things, so it's an obsolete concept, and besides, this song was usurped by "Take Me Back to Constatinople (But It Now Is Istanbul)".

Remember Ives' first hit record? It was "Lavender Blue (Dilly Dilly)."
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

In the Spotlight: JOAN BENNETT
The lovely Joan Bennett had three distinct phases to her long and successful career, first as a winsome blonde ingenue, then as a brunette femme fatale and, finally, as a warm-hearted wife/mother figure.
Her career would also be revitalized in the 1960s with a popular TV show.

Born Joan Geraldine Bennett on February 27, 1910 in Palisades, New Jersey, she was part of a famous theatrical family with a lineage dating back to traveling minstrels in 18th century England.
Her father was actor Richard Bennett, her mother, actress Adrienne Morrison, and her sisters, actress Constance Bennett and dancer, Barbara Bennett.
Joan with her father Richard and sister Constance.

Eighteen-year-old Joan Bennett had intended to avoid the Bennett tradition of acting but, divorced and with a child to support, had little choice.
She first acted onstage with her father at age 18 and by 19 had become a movie star courtesy of her roles in such movies as "Bulldog Drummond" (1929) and "Disraeli" (1929).
Natural blonde Joan Bennett beginning her movie career.

She moved quickly from film to film throughout the 1930s, appearing with John Barrymore in his version of "Moby Dick", as Amy to Katharine Hepburn's Jo in "Little Women", "Private Worlds", "Trade Winds", "The Man in the Iron Mask", etc.
Bennett (left) with Spring Byington, Frances Dee, Jean Parker & Katharine Hepburn in "Little Women" (1933).

Bennett with Bing Crosby in "Two for Tonight" (1935)

Producer Walter Wanger, signed her to a contract and eventually (in 1940) married her.
He managed Bennett's career, and with director Tay Garnett convinced her to change her hair from blonde (her natural color) to brunette. With this change her screen persona evolved into that of a glamorous seductive, femme fatale and she began to attract attention in a series of highly acclaimed film noirs.

In the 1940s Bennett appeared in four films directed by Fritz Lang with whom she and Wanger had formed their own film company. Three of these films, "Man Hunt" (1941), "The Woman in the Window" (1945), and "Scarlet Street" (1945) established her as a film noir femme fatale and leading Hollywood actress.

Of the three Bennett sisters, Joan would achieve the greatest fame.

Other films of the 1940s included, "Green Hell", "The House Acoss the Bay", "Confim or Deny" with Don Ameche, "Nob Hill" with George Raft, "The Macomber Affair" wih Gregory Peck, "The Woman on the Beach" with Robert Ryan, "Secret Beyond the Door", and "The Reckless Moment" with James Mason.
Chanteuse Bennett does her own singing in "The House Across the Bay" (1940)

Bennett with Don Ameche in "Confirm or Deny" (1941)

Bennett with Franchot Tone in "She Knew All the Answers" (1941)

Bennett with George Raft in "Nob Hill" (1945)

Bennett in "Secret Behind the Door" (1948)

Bennett as she appears in "The Macomber Affair" (1947)

Bennett with James Mason in "The Reckless Moment" (1949)

Shockingly in 1951 Wanger shot and injured Bennett's new MCA agent, Jennings Lang , with whom she had allegedly begun an affair. The resulting scandal hurt her career much more than Wanger's, according to the double standards toward women of the time. Wanger's attorney, Jerry Giesler, mounted a "temporary insanity" defense and Wanger served a four-month sentence.

Bennett, meanwhile was forced to flee to Chicago to appear in theater, and later in television because the scandal was too great a stain on her film career and the film studios were already floundering in the 1950s as it was. She co-starred in a few films of the 1950s, "We're No Angels" with friend Humphrey Bogart, "Father of the Bride" and the sequel "Father's Little Dividend", "Highway Dragnet", "There's Always Tomorrow" with Stanwyck, etc.

Bennett with Spencer Tracy, Elizabeth Taylor & Don Taylor in "Father of the Bride" (1950)

Bennett with Fred MacMurray & Barbara Stanwyck in "There's Always Tomorrow" (1956)

Wanger (one of 4 husbands) and Bennett remained married until 1965.

Bennett continued to work steadily in theatre and television and was a cast member of the popular television series "Dark Shadows" for its entire five year run, from 1966 until 1971, receiving an Emmy Award nomination for her performance.
Bennett as Elizabeth Collins Stoddard on TVs "Dark Shadows"

Bennett (right) on the town with Myrna Loy and Claudette Colbert

Bennett also appeared in a few more films, most notably the cult horror thriller from Italian director Dario Argento's "Suspiria".
In the last decades of her life, she was married to David Wilde, a Yale graduate and film critic.

In December of 1990 Bennett died from a heart attack in Scarsdale, New York at the age of 80, and was buried in the family plot at Pleasant View Cemetery, Lyme, Connecticut.
The Bennett family plot at Pleasant View Cemetery, Connecticut

Joan Bennett was survived by 4 daughters (Diana Fox, Melinda Markey, and Shelley and Stephanie Wanger) and 13 grandchildren.

Although never an Oscar nominee, Bennett has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for services to Motion Pictures.

Quoted: "I don't think much of most of the films I made, but being a movie star was something I liked very much."
Joseph Goodheart
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I've seen Joan in only two films. Bulldog Drummond early on in her career and The Reckless Moment. Her acting improved an awfu lot in the time between the two. The Reckless Moment is an excellent film, it showcases too just how good an actor James Mason was. How lucky Joan was to star alongside Ronald Colman so early in her career.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
tallulahfan

Post by tallulahfan »

There is something extremely watchable about Joan Bennett although I don't think she was a great actress. She always seemed passive to me and was always competent rather than inspired. She seemed to me the very epitome of a workaday actress who worked extremely hard to get where she was. Her main impetus seemed to be supporting her five daughters. Myrna Loy pays tribute to her in her autobiography for having a sensible attitude to her working life.