In The Spotlight Redux

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Moraldo Rubini

Sing a Strummin' Song

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

mongo wrote:Although uncomfortable being thought of as a singer, Annette had a number of pop record hits in the late 1950s and early 1960s, including: "Tall Paul", "First Name Initial", "O Dio Mio", "Train of Love" (written by Paul Anka who also wrote the song "Puppy Love" about his romance with her.) and "Pineapple Princess". Walt Disney was reportedly a fan of 1950s pop star Teresa Brewer and tried to pattern Annette's singing in the same style.
Wait! You didn't mention my favorite Annette song: The Strummin' Song! Guaranteed to chase the blues away...
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Moraldo, here is a treat for you.

Joseph Goodheart
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

picture no longer there. deleted.
Last edited by mongoII on September 6th, 2007, 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Ah, Annette. Every girl in my neighborhood (including me) wanted to be just like her. For all us little ethnic girls in Brooklyn, Annette was, besides being sweet and talented, something we didn't see too much of on TV - that is, a brown-eyed brunette. She was always a celebrity of integrity.

There is an Annette Funicello Fund for Neurological Disorders, to which I contribute every year on her birthday, October 22. I invite you all to do the same.

JDB
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

jdb1, good idea about the donation especially with her birthday coming up. Thank you for the reminder.

If members would like to send a card or note along to Annette, her address is:

Annette Funciello
16102 Sandy Lane
Encino, CA 91316
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

oops. That's Funicello.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

In the Spotlight: Sterling Hayden
The handsome actor was born Sterling Relyea Walter on March 26, 1916 in Upper Montclair, New Jersey. After his father died, he was adopted at the age of nine by James Hayden and renamed Sterling Walter Hayden. As a child, he lived in New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Washington D.C., and Maine, where he attended Wassookeag School in Dexter, Maine.

Hayden was a genuine adventurer and man of action, not dissimilar from many of his movie parts. He ran away to sea at 17, as a ship's boy, then later was a fisherman on the Grand Banks of Newfoundland. After serving as sailor and fireman on larger vessels, he was awarded his first command at 19, and sailed around the world several times.

Hayden became a print model and later signed a contract with Paramount Studios, who dubbed the 6' 5" (1.96 m) actor The Most Beautiful Man in the Movies and The Beautiful Blond Viking God. His first film starred beautiul Madeleine Carroll, with whom he fell in love and married. But after just two film roles.

For most of his career as a leading man, he specialized in westerns and film noir, such as "Johnny Guitar", "The Asphalt Jungle" and "The Killing". Later on he became noted as a character actor for such roles as Gen. Jack D. Ripper in "Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb" (nominated for a BAFTA award best actor). He also played the crooked Irish policeman, Captain McCluskey, in Francis Ford Coppola's "The Godfather" in 1972.
His films also include, "Blaze of Noon", "Manhandled", "Flaming Feather", "Hellgate", "Flat Top", "The Star" with Bette Davis, "Take Me to Town" wih Ann Sheridan, "So Big" with Jane Wyman, "Naked Alibi", "Suddenly" with Frank Sinatra, "The Eternal Sea", "The Come On", "Crime of Passion" with Barbara Sanwyck, "King of the Gypsies", etc.

Quoted: "I wonder whether there has ever before been a man who bought a schooner and joined the Communist Party all on the same day."
In any event, Hayden subsequently repudiated his own cooperation with the Committee, stating in his autobiography "I don't think you have the foggiest notion of the contempt I have had for myself since the day I did that thing."

Sterling Hayden often professed distaste for film acting, claiming he did it mainly to pay for his ships and voyages. In 1959, after a very bitter divorce from Betty Ann de Noon (hey married and divorced 3 times) he was awarded custody of his children. He defied a court order and sailed to Tahiti with all four children, Christian, Dana, Gretchen and Matthew.

Hayden married Catherine Devine McConnell in 1960. They had two sons, Andrew and David, and were married until his death in 1986.

In the early 1960s, Hayden rented one of the pilot houses of the retired ferryboat Berkeley, docked in Sausalito, California where he resided while writing his autobiography "Wanderer", which was published in 1963.

Was first choice of producers Richard D. Zanuck and David Brown to play the role of Quint in "Jaws" (1975), but Hayden's tax problems with the US government--he lived outside the country and if he entered the US he would have been arrested--precluded his taking the role.

In the 1970s, after his appearance in "The Godfather", he appeared several times on NBC's The Tomorrow Show with Tom Snyder where he talked about his career resurgence and how it had funded his travels and adventures around the world. Hayden bought a canal barge in the Netherlands in 1969, eventually moving it to the heart of Paris and living on it part of the time. He also shared a home in Connecticut with his family and had an apartment in Sausalito, California.

In 1986, Sterling Hayden died of prostate cancer in Sausalito, California, age 70. His ashes were scattered at sea, of which he loved.

The actor does not have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Sterling Hayden and Ann Sheridan in the Western comedy Take Me To Town(1953).
Hayden in the same film.

With Jane Wyman in So Big (1953).

The poster from Stanley Kubrick's breakthrough film, The Killing (1956).

Sterling Hayden, "The Wanderer".
Moraldo Rubini

Thanks!

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

mongoII wrote:Moraldo, here is a treat for you.

Wow Mongo, that is a treat! I'd never seen that, nor heard that arrangement. I recognized Tommy Kirk snapping his fingers; I wonder who the others are. The song is a pre-Mary Poppins Sherman Brothers number. Thank you!
jdb1

Re: Thanks!

Post by jdb1 »

Moraldo Rubini wrote:
mongoII wrote:Moraldo, here is a treat for you.

Wow Mongo, that is a treat! I'd never seen that, nor heard that arrangement. I recognized Tommy Kirk snapping his fingers; I wonder who the others are. The song is a pre-Mary Poppins Sherman Brothers number. Thank you!
Marco, I thought the woman in the plaid dress looked like the English actress Millicent Martin, so I looked her up on IMDb and, sure enough, there she was - this was part of a two episode series from one of the Disney TV shows of the 60s called "Disneyland." These episodes were called "The Horsemasters." Besides Annette and Tommy Kirk, the actors Donald Pleasance, Janet Munro and Jean Marsh (of "Upstairs, Downstairs") are listed. I don't recognize the other names. Tally ho!
Moraldo Rubini

Wonderful World of Disney

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Judith wrote:I thought the woman in the plaid dress looked like the English actress Millicent Martin, so I looked her up on IMDb and, sure enough, there she was - this was part of a two episode series from one of the Disney TV shows of the 60s called Disneyland. These episodes were called "The Horsemasters." Besides Annette and Tommy Kirk, the actors Donald Pleasance, Janet Munro and Jean Marsh (of Upstairs, Downstairs) are listed. I don't recognize the other names. Tally ho!
Wow! What a cast. Thanks Judith! I'd heard of the Disneyland show before, but always imagined it was in black and white and was intended to promote Walt's new park. I didn't expect anything like this. A cool discovery!
Jezebel38

Re: Thanks!

Post by Jezebel38 »

Marco, I thought the woman in the plaid dress looked like the English actress Millicent Martin, so I looked her up on IMDb and, sure enough, there she was - this was part of a two episode series from one of the Disney TV shows of the 60s called "Disneyland." These episodes were called "The Horsemasters." Besides Annette and Tommy Kirk, the actors Donald Pleasance, Janet Munro and Jean Marsh (of "Upstairs, Downstairs") are listed. I don't recognize the other names. Tally ho!
OMG - "The Horsemasters" was an absolute favorite book of mine when I was a pre-teen and loved to ride. I remember watching the series on the Disney show, but recall Annette particularly wooden in this - thought the Disney people just used her for her name draw. IIRC it was also Disney that presented another made for TV film about riding - "Flight of the White Stallions" with Robert Taylor, who was an excellent equestrian.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

As much as I loved (and still love) Annette, I must admit that in retrospect most of her early work for Disney looks pretty wooden. Do you remember one miniseries she did, maybe for the Mickey Mouse Club show, called simply "Annette," where she was Annette McCloud, who came to the big city to live with her cousins? I think fellow Mouseketeers Sharon and Doreen were in it as well, and I definitely remember Shelly Fabares. And I remember a theme song with the words "Annette, Annette, Annette" as the tagline. I further recall Jimmy (you know, one of the adults) singing it on the MMC, and Annette doing her little ballet routine. A few years ago on the Disney Channel I saw an exerpt from "Annette," and she was pretty awful. However, on the MM Club itself she was more comfortable, and I was always so impressed when she danced en pointe.

She was never much of an actress, but she was certainly acceptable in all those beach movies, and she was pretty good in guest appearances on various sitcoms and variety shows in the 1960 and 70s. She is one of those performers whose natural simpatico vibes and graciousness make us want to watch her.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

I liked Annette in the Disney 'Spin and Marty' series, especially when she sang "How Will I Known My Love".
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

In the Spotlight: CAROLYN JONES

The lovely, kookey actress was born Carolyn Sue Jones on April 28, 1930 in Amarillo, Texas, her father abandoned the family in 1933 when he lost his job in the Great Depression, and her mother moved the family in with her parents, then also living in Amarillo. As a child, she suffered from asthma, but loved to go to the movies, and while in school, she won several awards for speech, poetry and dramatics.
In 1947, she was accepted to the acting school at the Pasadena Playhouse, and played summer stock to gain experience and to supplement her income, until her graduation in 1950. Initially working as an understudy at the Players Ring Theatre, she stepped in for the star where she was seen by a Paramount Studios talent scout.
As a blonde she soon appeared in her first movie, "The Turning Point" (1952). Let go from her contract six months later, she moved to television, where she met struggling director Aaron Spelling. They married in April 1953, neither was earning much, but they really enjoyed each other and their life. Many saw them as an ideal couple. Carolyn decided against children, since she felt she could not juggle the demands of both a career and a family.
A blonde Carolyn Jones, early in her career.

In 1953, she was selected for the role of Alma Burke in "From Here to Eternity" (1953), but had to withdraw due to pneumonia, and the role went to Donna Reed instead. She made a breakthrough in the 3-D movie "House of Wax" (1953) and garnered excellent reviews.
A dark haired Carolyn as St. Joan with Vincent Price in "House of Wax"

The poster for the popular 3-D film.

As a flirt in "House of Wax" (above).

Assisted by Phyllis Kirk in "House of Wax" (above).

In 1957 she became noted for her role of the philosophical nymphomaniac in "The Bachelor Party" (famous line, "Just say you love me--you don't have to mean it!"), in which she surprised the cast by dying her hair black and cutting it short. The look was startling, but it served her well in later roles.

Although she was nominated for an Academy Award for "The Bachelor Party" (which she lost), she was rewarded with roles in such notable films as Elvis Presley's "King Creole" (1958), and "Career" (1959) in which she gave arguably her best performance ever, but the film was not commercially successful.
Elvis and Carolyn Jones in "King Creole" (1958).
With Delores Hart & Elvis in "King Creole" (1958).

In "Career" (1959) with Anthony Franciosa.

Her films also included, "The Big Heat", "Three Hours to Kill", "East of Eden", "The Seven Year Itch", "The Tender Trap", "Invasion of he Body Snatchers", "The Man Who Knew Too Much", "The Opposite Sex", "Johnny Trouble" with Ethel Barrymore, "Baby Face Nelson" with Mickey Rooney, "Marjorie Morningstar", "The Man in the Net" with Alan Ladd, "A Hole in the Head" with Sinatra, "Last Train from Gun Hill", "Ice Palace", "How the West Was Won", etc.

With Mickey Rooney in "Baby Face Nelson" (1957).

Carolyn Jones (in upper right) gives Natalie Wood romantic advice!

With Anthony Quinn in "Last Train from Gun Hill" (1959)

Fending off the "chairman of the board", Frank Sinatra, in Capra's "A Hole in the Head" (1959).

Making an entrance, in "A Hole in the Head" (1959).

(Left to right), Robert Ryan, Carolyn Jones, Richard Burton & Martha Hyer look a bit worried about the nearby glacier in "Ice Palace" (1960).

Even as her husband's career began to take off, the couple separated in October 1963, and they divorced on good terms in August 1964, with Carolyn asking for no alimony.

In 1964, she hit pay dirt playing Morticia Frump Addams in the television series, "The Addams Family" and won success as a comedienne; her role was nominated for a Golden Globe Award.

John Astin edging up on his "cara mia", Morticia (Carolyn Jones) in "The Addams Family".

When "The Addams Family" show ended in 1966, her career went into a decline, and although she continued to act, her roles came less frequently, partly due to her marriage to Herbert Greene, who insisted they live in Palm Springs, away from her Hollywood friends and associates; they divorced after 7 years.

For the next 15 years, she was seen in guest roles on such television series as "Batman", "The Danny Thomas Show","The Mod Squad", "Love American Style", "The Virginian", "Ironside", "Wonder Woman", "Quincy ME", and "Fantasy Island".

Ms. Jones in the soap opera "Capitol" (with Constance Towers).
Her last role was as Myrna Clegg, in the television soap opera series, "Capitol" (1982-83), and when she was diagnosed with colon cancer, she continued to play her scenes in a wheelchair. Although chemotherapy slowed the cancer, she knew she was dying, and she married her long-term boyfriend, Peter Bailey-Britton, in September 1982. She died the following year on August 3rd. in Hollywood, California, at the age of 53.

Carolyn told her sister that she wanted her epitaph to be "She gave joy to the world." She certainly had many friends who loved her greatly, and many fans who enjoyed her wonderful performances.

The versatile actress does not have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
Last edited by mongoII on October 12th, 2007, 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Joseph Goodheart