OBITUARIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
scsu1975

Re: OBITUARIES

Post by scsu1975 »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: January 16th, 2023, 1:25 pm Gina Lollobrigida pass yesterday. My favorite film she was in was her first major English language film, the John Huston farce, Beat the Devil. She played the Italian wife of Bogart and she had many very funny lines that she carried off in her sexy style. I like her foreign films more than her American ones, but Trapeze is a very good film, and she worked very well with her two male stars Lancaster and Curtis. RIP Gina.
She looked great in Solomon and Sheba, even though the film wasn't so hot.
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

As a guitar player I question how influential Jeff Beck was, especially to rock guitarist. Beck was very influential to jazz\rock (fusion), guitarists but Beck was much more skilled than most rock guitarist and thus what Beck was doing was over the head of the average rock guitarist. (too be influenced one has to understand what one is doing on a technical level).
[/quote]

Are you serious ? You must have been living on a different planet for the last 50 years ! Beck was probably the most important guitar player with Jimi Hendrix and Beck had a very long career.The outpouring number of tributes from numerous guitarists speaks for itself (check youtube etc),Any guitar player is aware of this,, you are a guitar player even a jazz musician would know how important was Jeff Beck.End of discussion for me.
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

She looked great in Solomon and Sheba, even though the film wasn't so hot.
[/quote]

I thought about her a week ago ! She made a second carrer as a very good photogtgrapher,Ido not know if her only son is still alive though,
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

nakanosunplaza wrote: January 16th, 2023, 2:48 pm
Are you serious ? You must have been living on a different planet for the last 50 years ! Beck was probably the most important guitar player with Jimi Hendrix and Beck had a very long career.The outpouring number of tributes from numerous guitarists speaks for itself (check youtube etc),Any guitar player is aware of this,, you are a guitar player even a jazz musician would know how important was Jeff Beck.End of discussion for me.
JJG has a thing about rock guitarists. It stems from his jazz centrism, and is perhaps a pushback against the popularity of rock compared to jazz.

And I think he was saying that Beck wasn't an influence on many rock guitarists because they mostly suck while Beck was really good. Which is still dumb, but isn't really an attack on Beck, but rather the majority of rock guitarists.

JJG often posted about how blues and rock musicians aren't very good compared to the "real" musicians in jazz. Yawn.
Watching until the end.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

nakanosunplaza wrote: January 16th, 2023, 2:48 pm As a guitar player I question how influential Jeff Beck was, especially to rock guitarist. Beck was very influential to jazz\rock (fusion), guitarists but Beck was much more skilled than most rock guitarist and thus what Beck was doing was over the head of the average rock guitarist. (too be influenced one has to understand what one is doing on a technical level).
[/quote]

I assume you're not a musician. All the rock guitar players I know would site Hendrix, and then others Jimmy Page and Richie Blackmore as players that INFLUENCED their playing. E.g. they stole licks from these guys. Beck was so unique and advanced that why most everyone marveled at his playing it would be hard for them to incorporate what Beck was doing into their playing.

Of course there is an outpouring of tributes. Of course Beck is well respected. He was one fantastic guitar player and musician. BUT you said influenced which is defined as: the capacity to have an effect on the character, development, or behavior of someone or something, or the effect itself. If rock guitar players were actually influenced by Beck (as it relates to how they approach playing the guitar) like Beck, they wouldn't be playing only rock and roll. They would be playing instrumental jazz\rock fusion just like Beck.

PS: now I see your using important instead of influenced. These are two very different terms.
jamesjazzguitar

LawrenceA wrote: January 16th, 2023, 3:03 pm
nakanosunplaza wrote: January 16th, 2023, 2:48 pm
JJG has a thing about rock guitarists. It stems from his jazz centrism, and is perhaps a pushback against the popularity of rock compared to jazz.

And I think he was saying that Beck wasn't an influence on many rock guitarists because they mostly suck while Beck was really good. Which is still dumb, but isn't really an attack on Beck, but rather the majority of rock guitarists.

JJG often posted about how blues and rock musicians aren't very good compared to the "real" musicians in jazz. Yawn.
I admit to lacking respect for any artist that gets good at one thing but does that their entire life. This isn't a jazz centrism. I say the same thing about jazz guitarist who mock the use of effects and distortion or just want to play like Django Reinhart or Wes Montgomery. I prefer artist that grow, that take risk, that adventure into areas outside their wheel house. Beck might be the best example of this (for a guitarist) in history.

AND I don't think I ever said a musician wasn't "good". Limited would be a better term. Related to acting; Robin Williams would be a prime example of someone I have a lot of respect for as it relates to their craft.
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

I would recommend seeing Gina Lollabrigida in Bread, Love and Dreams (1953) with Vittorio De Sica. Made the same year as Beat the Devil.
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

[

[/quote]
I have seen Blackmore with Purple 3 times and Page with Zeppelin 4 times,I was in the music business for close to 30 years as a music fan,concert promoter and a record label owner,I have seen everybody except Hendrix, Beck was largely superior to Page who has a tendancy to trip in his strings,commercial success enhanced is reputation and a good live personna (terrible taste in clothes though !) Beck invented and stayed with 'the Rock Attitude' he always looked young and looked good,influence and importance is not exactly the same thing,I guess Kiss's influence is huge as it permitted vast numbers of hopelessly bad guitar players to form bands but talent is more important than influence, Beck and Hendrix were both in a class apart. They were influential and very important musicians ,the only ones to have both in the modern era 1964 and up.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

Masha wrote: January 16th, 2023, 12:01 pm Gina Lollobrigida(1927-2023)
was "mr6666" @ TCM
jamesjazzguitar

Feinberg wrote: January 16th, 2023, 4:13 pm I would recommend seeing Gina Lollabrigida in Bread, Love and Dreams (1953) with Vittorio De Sica. Made the same year as Beat the Devil.
I agree. Bread, Love and Dreams is a very good film and Gina shines. Of course one has to accept subtitles.
jamesjazzguitar

nakanosunplaza wrote: January 16th, 2023, 5:08 pm [

I have seen Blackmore with Purple 3 times and Page with Zeppelin 4 times,I was in the music business for close to 30 years as a music fan,concert promoter and a record label owner,I have seen everybody except Hendrix, Beck was largely superior to Page who has a tendancy to trip in his strings,commercial success enhanced is reputation and a good live personna (terrible taste in clothes though !) Beck invented and stayed with 'the Rock Attitude' he always looked young and looked good,influence and importance is not exactly the same thing,I guess Kiss's influence is huge as it permitted vast numbers of hopelessly bad guitar players to form bands but talent is more important than influence, Beck and Hendrix were both in a class apart. They were influential and very important musicians ,the only ones to have both in the modern era 1964 and up.
[/quote]

Well said. Sorry if you felt I was knocking Beck. That would be insane. Beck was a guitar players, guitar player.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... dies-at-95

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... tress-95-9

Hadn't heard that Lolo died until I came on here today. Didn't make the network news. :(
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Hibi wrote: January 18th, 2023, 4:54 pm https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... dies-at-95

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... tress-95-9

Hadn't heard that Lolo died until I came on here today. Didn't make the network news. :(
Actually here Hibi, I saw both the ABC and CBS evening network news report her death the other night.

Was only a short 15-20 second mention by their respective anchors and with accompanying photos of her (and as I recall, wedged it in between 3 pharmaceutical and 2 insurance company commercials...LOL) but they reported it alright, and with both mentioning that she was once considered "the world's most beautiful woman".

(...and when I was a kid, I thought she was anyway)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Well, NBC (what I watched) had no mention of it! Glad, at least they did!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »