OBITUARIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Feinberg

Re: OBITUARIES

Post by Feinberg »

Fans of Michael Lerner might lookout for Threshold (1983) with Donald Sutherland and Jeff Goldblum. He was especially good in that one.
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

Kerry Kyriacos Michael MBE

@1KerryMichael
It's with great sadness that I have to announce the death of Murray Melvin - actor, director and theatre archivist.

Kerry Kyriacos Michael MBE

@1KerryMichael
·
1h
He had a fall in December, from which he never fully recovered. He died at St Thomas' Hospital on Friday, 14th April, aged 90. He was one of my closest friends and will be missed by so many of us who had the privilege to know him.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Barry Humphries, better known as Dame Edna Everage, had died aged 89. I saw him play Dame Edna and one of his other aliases at the Drury Lane many years ago. Wonderful performer, and very successful. As Dame Edna once said, "I'm a squillionairess!"

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/202 ... -patterson
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

Comedian Barry Humphries dies aged 89: Genius behind Dame Edna Everage is remembered as a giant of the international stage after dying in hospital days after family revealed he was having 'health issues'
Barry Humphries dies at 89: Remembered as a comic genius and creator of Dame Edna Everage
Barry Humphries - comedian, stage actor, film producer, screenwriter, novelist, landscape painter and father-of four - was much more than the creator of Dame Edna Everage (right). Humphries, who has died in a Sydney hospital aged 89 after suffering complications from hip surgery, was a giant of the entertainment industry whose career spanned 70 years. The deebonair showman, whose entertainment career began in 1950s Melbourne, is pictured left as Sir Les Patterson, right as Edna and inset on a British talk show.

I saw him as well. At the Elgin Theatre in Toronto. A great show. I loved the Dame Edna television show as well. His guests always had a ball following the gags.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Early in his career, Barry Humphries played Mr. Sowerberry, the undertaker, in the original production of Oliver! in London in 1960 and on Broadway. He sang "That's Your Funeral" with Sonia Fraser, who played Mrs. Sowerberry. The song is not on the original Broadway cast album but is on the original London cast album. The song was not used in the movie. It's a good song.

EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Barry Humphries was also in Bedazzled as . . .

"They call me Ennnnvy. Not a very attractive name, is it? I always wanted to be called Vanity. Never mind, I'm stuck with it. How is Mr. Spiggot these days?"

"Quite well. He may be leaving soon."

"Chaaarming. I'm always the last to be told. It's funny how's He's always too busy for me. But, He's never too busy for Lussst, Ducky! He's at her beck and bloody call!"

"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Feinberg

Post by Feinberg »

Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Sad news. R.I.P. Dame Edna!
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

An icon has left us.

Harry Belafonte, 96, Dies; Barrier-Breaking Singer, Actor and Activist

Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Sad news.
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

Harry Belafonte besides a great singer, actor was a great humanitarian. Very involved with the UN. Terrific human being

RIP Harry Belafonte
sagebrush

Post by sagebrush »

TCM Remembers: Harry Belafonte

Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

96 is a good run. He led a full and meaningful life; a lot more than most. RIP
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

I loved Belafonte & was sad he wasn't in more movies. Recently got this out of the library:
Which I liked, but it didn't have the impact it should have had. The story & principle actors were very good, so must have been script/directing problems. But still happy to see any missed Belafonte (& Mostel) movies!

Rest In Peace, Harry. A good life entertaining & enlightening us!

ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

sagebrush wrote: April 26th, 2023, 6:08 am TCM Remembers: Harry Belafonte

TCM Remembers Harry Belafonte – Saturday, July 22

8:00 PM – Carmen Jones (1955) – A sultry factory worker seduces a young soldier then dumps him for another man.

10:00 PM – The World, the Flesh and the Devil (1959) – One woman and two men are the only people left alive after a nuclear disaster.

TCM Guest Programmer Shari Belafonte – Monday, July 10

8:00 PM – Odds Against Tomorrow (1959) – Desperate losers plan a bank robbery with unexpected results.

In addition, Belafonte’s film Bright Road (1953) will be featured on Sunday, July 16, during TCM’s Disability in the Movies spotlight.
was "mr6666" @ TCM