MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
laffite

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by laffite »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 4th, 2023, 8:19 pm
laffite wrote: February 4th, 2023, 8:12 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 4th, 2023, 7:33 pm We have palmetto bugs in Florida of course but this one is determined to remain grounded. I cannot sleep until I exterminate this sucker. Wish me luck. (these are the moments I regret being a single female....)
No need for extermination. Just squish him.

I am trying with all my might but he keeps eluding me! Just knowing this thing could pop up anywhere around or ON ME is hellacious.
Sounds like that Alien movie. You never knew, then POW WHAM HERE I AM. Are you sure that your apartment has not transmogrified into a spaceship. Look out the window. is it light, or dark. If you see a balloon up in the air, you're okay.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

laffite wrote: February 4th, 2023, 8:08 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 4th, 2023, 7:51 pm I am being stalked by a giant cockroach and all you guys can think about are game shows!!!

LOL
They are remaking that charming movie Them (1950 whatever) right there in your own apartment. They are exhuming the original cast and you'll get to meet Edmund Gwenn. Who could ask for more?

Hee hee.

But one doesn't look at an ant and go UGH.

Will Santa Claus take care of this roach?
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Spy balloons, roaches, it's the end of the world!!
Andree

Post by Andree »

I hated those things. You'd suddenly look up into a corner of the ceiling and there one was, ugly as hell. Was it just going to
stay there for who knows how long or was it suddenly going to swoop down and land who knows where. I recommend a two-
pronged approach--can of heavy duty bug spray and a fly swatter just in case. That worked for me. Thank goodness there are
none of these things in NC. The roach was so big that Alice tried to kill it with a ______________.

Yes, Deliverance took place in northern Georgia and was filmed there too I believe. Four city slickers from Atlanta are
going to ride down one of those multi-syllabic southern rivers, the Chatalokaswasiemankiller or whatever it was. Then
they have some unfortunate run ins with the natives. Watch your back side.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Andree, thanks. What I hate about bugs is that they just SHOW UP. One minute they're there, the next they're not. I feel so helpless with this one because it has invaded my living room space. Usually here in Florida they are confined to the bathroom or occasionally kitchen. So I feel extremely disgusted and helpless. They seem to rely on the element of surprise. I don't want to be caught off guard and have another accident trying to smash it.

Was watching DELIVERANCE last night. Poor Bobby. (and of course Drew)
laffite

Post by laffite »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 4th, 2023, 8:30 pm
laffite wrote: February 4th, 2023, 8:08 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 4th, 2023, 7:51 pm I am being stalked by a giant cockroach and all you guys can think about are game shows!!!

LOL
They are remaking that charming movie Them (1950 whatever) right there in your own apartment. They are exhuming the original cast and you'll get to meet Edmund Gwenn. Who could ask for more?

Hee hee.

But one doesn't look at an ant and go UGH.

I don't think that Santa is in the exterminating business.

This looks more like a job for Roach Motel, or maybe Rambo.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 4th, 2023, 8:48 pm Andree, thanks. What I hate about bugs is that they just SHOW UP. One minute they're there, the next they're not. I feel so helpless with this one because it has invaded my living room space. Usually here in Florida they are confined to the bathroom or occasionally kitchen. So I feel extremely disgusted and helpless. They seem to rely on the element of surprise. I don't want to be caught off guard and have another accident trying to smash it.

Was watching DELIVERANCE last night. Poor Bobby. (and of course Drew)
Where's Laird Cregar and his 300 lbs. of human flesh when you need him. Scrunch. I think I have some kind of cricket like bug in the
ventilation in my bedroom ceiling. Luckily it doesn't make a lot of noise, so I can sleep at night.

I haven't seen Deliverance in a while. The first time you see the Bobby scene it's quite a shock and it doesn't get much easier
with additional viewings. The natives were restless and worse. Jon and Burt were wise to keep their mouths shut because the sheriff
was pretty suspicious.

Looking back, I'm surprised that a wiseass like Clownie was on a kiddie show. He could be one nasty puppet.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Crickets at least are cute. (and have you ever noticed that Fred Astaire looked like one?)

Monsieur Roach is still on the loose.

Poor George Harvey Bone, he didn't stand a chance with Netta Longdon. I love HANGOVER SQUARE, an old favorite. George Sanders is in it for about ten minutes tops. He is also rather ill-served THE LODGER. (don't get me started on the wooden Miss Merle Oberon; I am a Linda Darnell fan through and through)

Some people consider DELIVERANCE a horror film. I think I agree.

Puppets and clowns are always frightening to me.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

lafitte, along with puppets and clowns I have always found Santa Claus quite scary.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 5th, 2023, 12:36 pm Crickets at least are cute. (and have you ever noticed that Fred Astaire looked like one?)

Monsieur Roach is still on the loose.

Poor George Harvey Bone, he didn't stand a chance with Netta Longdon. I love HANGOVER SQUARE, an old favorite. George Sanders is in it for about ten minutes tops. He is also rather ill-served THE LODGER. (don't get me started on the wooden Miss Merle Oberon; I am a Linda Darnell fan through and through)

Some people consider DELIVERANCE a horror film. I think I agree.

Puppets and clowns are always frightening to me.
I would rather have Monsieur Cockroach in my house than Sirrah Cricket in my house. Crickets make noises and are hard to find. I would like to have Merle Oberon in my house too. O please, Miss Darnell, come right in. You were terrific! Fate gave you a classically beautiful face. If Oscar were straight he would love you. Your acting is quite good, even breathtaking, (especially your last scene) badgering poor Mr Bone, even when he was the most resistant to her wishes. Yes, I'm having a little soiree in my home (this phrase appeared in the movie and I am stealing it) and I would like to invite all entities except insects and especially tarantulas.* Clowns and puppets are allowed. Puppets must be accompanied by a puppeteer. Music will be provided by the distinguished Mr Bone who will play his own Piano Concerto with none other than he himself as the soloist. This Piano Concert is said to be really HOT. Mr Sanders, you are invited but you were so stuffy and bland in the movie that you would not qualify as a bona fide guest but do be our greeter. No analyzing people's brains, we don like that sort of thing around here. After all invitees are here, just go. And last, but not least, our joy, the Mistress of Honour, the Lady of Boca Raton, the lovely Barbara Valentino and who will be so honored. And we look forward to a book she has just published, The Beloved Cockroach, based on her very own sweet life.

*Tarantula : When I was a kid my mother would not let me go to see Tarantula when it came to our local theater. Why? Because I was stupid enough to said (weeks before) that every time I closed my eyes I could see insects crawling across my eyelids in the dark. It was a phase but I tell you (seriously!) it was extraordinarily distressing to me. I couldn't even sleep. I have never seen it. I would rather see puppets and clowns in a horror film than some creepy crawly spider. And especially, than a loathsome cricket.
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

HoldenIsHere wrote: February 4th, 2023, 2:06 pm

On a PASSWORD episode that originally aired on December 16, 1966 with Elizabeth Montgomery and Jim Backus as the celebrity competitors, one of the passwords is a word that I'm surprised made it to TV during the time of the episode's original airing.
Elizabeth Montgomery's reaction when she first sees the word is priceless. She visibly take a closer look to confirm she's reading it correctly!
And you can hear host Allen Ludden chuckle.
Allen was probably perving on Elizabeth, and Betty White had to remind him gently not to do that.
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 4th, 2023, 8:17 pm Yes, Swithin, Clownie! He was kind of creepy though.

Da Bronx, those were the days.....
And you knew who you were then....
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 4th, 2023, 8:30 pm

Pia Zadora takes the Bronxgirl role in SANTA CLAUS CONQUERS THE GIANT ROACHES.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 5th, 2023, 12:44 pm lafitte, along with puppets and clowns I have always found Santa Claus quite scary.
I put your post in the Irony Detector and found a potentially reading that denotes a HIGH amount of, uh, ... irony. The species usually finds these things as innocuous at worst, but at best benign since Santa Claus, puppets, and clowns are Bringers of Joy. But if you are in earnest (hee hee) then I hope that the Horror industry will bless you with magnificent horror films based on same. (Hey, Santa Claws, ooh cool.)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Fedya wrote: February 5th, 2023, 2:22 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 4th, 2023, 8:17 pm Yes, Swithin, Clownie! He was kind of creepy though.

Da Bronx, those were the days.....
And you knew who you were then....

Gee our old LaSalle ran great.

(actually we had a blue Dodge)