MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Hibi

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Hibi »

Debbie seemed to be incredibly busy from the mid 50s through the mid 60s. She seems to have made 3 films per year, or at least two!
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

I just looked at the entire film list for TCM's Classic Film Festival in LA next month. I think something died in me when I saw that one of the films playing a classic film festival was released in..... 2012!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: March 27th, 2024, 2:04 pm I just looked at the entire film list for TCM's Classic Film Festival in LA next month. I think something died in me when I saw that one of the films playing a classic film festival was released in..... 2012!
What is it?
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Hibi wrote: March 27th, 2024, 3:44 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: March 27th, 2024, 2:04 pm I just looked at the entire film list for TCM's Classic Film Festival in LA next month. I think something died in me when I saw that one of the films playing a classic film festival was released in..... 2012!
What is it?
Lincoln, which aired during 31 days last month. I get that it is a period film, but still, my gosh, it seems far too soon. A film should be several decades old before it can be considered a classic.

I still think of 80s films as being contempory, and yet, this festival is also showing several films from that period on: Spaceballs, The Silence of the Lambs, Pulp Fiction, The Shawshank Redemption, Little Women, Se7en, Almost Famous..... It all feels like too much of a rush (I knd of felt the same way when I saw a TCM bumper between films built around Denzel Washington. Good actor, but far too soon, given that his career didn't take off in films until the late 80s.)
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

I believe they are thinking of actors, directors, etc. they can get as guests. When the festival began, many of the golden age stars were still alive. That's no longer true.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi wrote: March 27th, 2024, 12:35 pm Debbie seemed to be incredibly busy from the mid 50s through the mid 60s. She seems to have made 3 films per year, or at least two!

She loved to work. And when deadbeat hubby Harry Karl died, leaving her with massive debt, Debbie worked even harder.

Not the best taste in men (as Carrie revealed in that TCM tribute) unfortunately. Worthless Eddie Fisher complained that Reynolds was "a cold fish" who preferred the life of a performer over being his dutiful wife. I wonder why Liz even bothered....
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Well, I guess this is as good time as ever to just come out and admit that for years I didn't think all that much of Debbie Reynolds. I had always thought of her as being much "too cute" and her performances a bit ham-ish.

However, and I can't tell you exactly why, but in the last few years I've found myself really enjoying seeing her cute little face and watching her antics unfold in the many films I've now re-watched of hers after all these years.

(...ya know, maybe this is a similar case to that famous line Mark Twain once said about "how much his father had learned in just six short years" and from the time Twain was 15 and to the time he was 21, and/or, how Bette Davis would in her later years have her little epiphany about how good an actor Errol Flynn truly was)
Last edited by Dargo on March 27th, 2024, 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

I know very little about the TCM Film Festival, so after reading these posts I looked it up. I see that Lois Burwell, who worked on some of the more recent films, will be in attendance. I assume that getting Lois Burwell represents such a coup, that they decided to show her movies, no matter how recent! :lol:

txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Swithin wrote: March 27th, 2024, 8:50 pm
I know very little about the TCM Film Festival, so after reading these posts I looked it up. I see that Lois Burwell, who worked on some of the more recent films, will be in attendance. I assume that getting Lois Burwell represents such a coup, that they decided to show her movies, no matter how recent! :lol:

They also have half a dozen or so "themes" that run through the festival, much like they have theme nights on the channel, so they select films to match those themes. So the film programming is an intersection of the themes and available guests. Not every film, though will have a guest as part of the presentation. When there's a guest, there's an intro, interviews, and then the film. Sometimes there's a post-film interview. Without a guest, there's simply an intro.

They really try to cover the gamut. There will be silents (with at least one having live music accompaniment, typically) & pre-codes, nitrate prints, and recent restorations and they generally cover all decades from the 1920s onwards, with the bulk from the 30s to the 60s. In other words, it's similar to the channel's programming.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 27th, 2024, 6:54 pm
Hibi wrote: March 27th, 2024, 12:35 pm Debbie seemed to be incredibly busy from the mid 50s through the mid 60s. She seems to have made 3 films per year, or at least two!

She loved to work. And when deadbeat hubby Harry Karl died, leaving her with massive debt, Debbie worked even harder.

Not the best taste in men (as Carrie revealed in that TCM tribute) unfortunately. Worthless Eddie Fisher complained that Reynolds was "a cold fish" who preferred the life of a performer over being his dutiful wife. I wonder why Liz even bothered....
LOL. I'm recording several films I haven't seen (or haven't seen in a very long time) Who knows when I'll finally get around to seeing them.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

So who watched Goodbye Charlie? Despite the Mank saying it was a premiere. I still say they aired it before. (I doubt he researches what they write for him to say) Yay or Nay? (I recorded it).
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Hibi wrote: March 29th, 2024, 11:06 am So who watched Goodbye Charlie? Despite the Mank saying it was a premiere. I still say they aired it before. (I doubt he researches what they write for him to say) Yay or Nay? (I recorded it).
Have it DVRed. Saw it many many years ago on local TV though. I don't know if it truly is a TCM premiere, but it definitely ran on AMC back when they still had hosts. There's a copy of it floating around on YouTube with a snippet of an intro from John Burke. Have also seen a copy of the film on YouTube taped from Fox Movies.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Hibi wrote: March 29th, 2024, 11:06 am So who watched Goodbye Charlie? Despite the Mank saying it was a premiere. I still say they aired it before. (I doubt he researches what they write for him to say) Yay or Nay? (I recorded it).
I watched it last night Hibi, and I don't think I laughed once during it. Yep, it was pretty bad.

The only things I can say I liked about it was seeing Debbie and Tony during a time in which they were probably at the height of their physical attractiveness, and seeing all the toney SoCal locations shown in it such as Malibu during the time of its production of the mid-'60s.

(...oh, and Pat Boone's Ferrari and Tony's E-Type Jaguar were pretty attractive to me as well, of course)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Dargo wrote: March 29th, 2024, 11:38 am
I watched it last night Hibi, and I don't think I laughed once during it. Yep, it was pretty bad.

The only things I can say I liked about it was seeing Debbie and Tony during a time in which they were probably at the height of their physical attractiveness, and seeing all the toney SoCal locations shown in it such as Malibu during the time of its production of the mid-'60s.

(...oh, and Pat Boone's Ferrari and Tony's E-Type Jaguar were pretty attractive to me as well, of course)
LOL! Glad my memory hasn't failed yet. That's how I remembered it.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Does anyone know when or why Ellen Burstyn changed her name? She hadn't hit it big when I first saw this so I didn't know who she was (or would be) at the time.