MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
EP Millstone

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by EP Millstone »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 13th, 2023, 9:13 pm EP, I cannot get the sound on that mind-blowing DuPont LYLAH. Drat!!!!! Lord have mercy, who knew this existed???? (Better Living Through Chemistry indeed lol) Thank you SO MUCH for uploading it! I will try to find some way to listen! . . .
Bronxgirl48,

I just watched the 1963 TV version. Not bad, IMO.

At one moment in the story, Svengaliesque director Louis Zakin (a Satanic Alfred Drake) barks orders for dressing his "Trilby": Elsie Brinkmann (Tuesday Weld):

"You, get to Jean-Louis! I want him to dress her -- and make no mistake, it will always be in white! . . . For Friday, the back . . . will beeee . . . like this (drawing a U-shape with his hands on Elsie's back) . . . If you can't get it ready by Friday, let him refit one of the Rita Hayworth . . . uhh, one of the Kim Novak things, right?"

Last edited by EP Millstone on March 19th, 2023, 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 13th, 2023, 8:36 pm Once again, I must give a shout-out to DOG DAY AFTERNOON which is playing at midnight tonight, EST (or 12:15 but tune in at 12 on the dot just to make sure you do not miss anything)

Those who haven't seen it, PLEASE DO NOT MISS. (along with 12 ANGRY MEN, I think it's Lumet's best)
Couldn't agree more about DOG DAY AFTERNOON. Talk about fast! Not one dull moment. Grabs you right from the get go and hangs on tight.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

It's too bad Dog Day was released the same year as Cuckoo's Nest or it may have had a better shot at the Oscars. I think it only won Best Screenplay of all its nominations. (the one category it was not competing in with Cuckoo's Nest).
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Hibi wrote: March 14th, 2023, 2:09 pm It's too bad Dog Day was released the same year as Cuckoo's Nest or it may have had a better shot at the Oscars. I think it only won Best Screenplay of all its nominations. (the one category it was not competing in with Cuckoo's Nest).
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is a good film, but its no Nashville, Day of the Locust, Dog Day Afternoon, or Barry Lyndon......
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Cuckoo's Nest puts you through that emotional wringer big time too. Not to brag or toot a horn, but being a veteran of lock down rehab programs and a month on the ninth floor psycho ward of Charity Hospital, there is not one phony move in this movie.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

CinemaInternational wrote: March 14th, 2023, 2:45 pm
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is a good film, but its no Nashville, Day of the Locust, Dog Day Afternoon, or Barry Lyndon......
. . . in YOUR opinion!
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Hibi wrote: March 14th, 2023, 2:09 pm It's too bad Dog Day was released the same year as Cuckoo's Nest or it may have had a better shot at the Oscars. I think it only won Best Screenplay of all its nominations. (the one category it was not competing in with Cuckoo's Nest).
Barry Lyndon? Nashville? I feel a leg being pulled.
CinemaInternational

Thompson wrote: March 14th, 2023, 3:02 pm
no, no legs being pulled.....
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: March 14th, 2023, 3:04 pm
Thompson wrote: March 14th, 2023, 3:02 pm

no, no legs being pulled.....

Why drag me into this? (both of you). INCLUDE ME OUT! :D (or at least my quote).
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Speaking of Oscar nominees, where was Melinda Dillon?
CinemaInternational

Hibi wrote: March 14th, 2023, 4:05 pm Speaking of Oscar nominees, where was Melinda Dillon?
Good question. Especially since Close Encounters and Christmas Story are still household name films.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

No disrespect CinemaInternational, but what do you see in Barry Lyndon? I only saw it once, at a theater alone, no distractions, a fan of Kubrick and anticipating the film. Good Lord, when will this end, was my reaction.
CinemaInternational

Thompson wrote: March 14th, 2023, 4:25 pm No disrespect CinemaInternational, but what do you see in Barry Lyndon? I only saw it once, at a theater alone, no distractions, a fan of Kubrick and anticipating the film. Good Lord, when will this end, was my reaction.
I think its one of the most beautiful looking films ever made, and the story I felt was a very intriguing one. Kubrick runs very hot and cold with me, but this is one of the times he did an excellent job
Andree

Post by Andree »

I always find it hard to resist The Asphalt Jungle, a prime crime flick full of intriguing characters. Something I didn't think of
before--the Sam Jaffe character, Herr Doktor WeiseneheimerumlautvonHassenpfeffer, never gets to meet Marilyn Monroe's character,
Angela. With his predilection for sweet young things, Angela might have blown more than one of old doc's gaskets and messed up the
whole robbery plot, which didn't work out that well in the end anyway. And John McIntire as the police chief spends too much time
preaching about crime. Just capture the bad guys and quite running on at the mouth. McIntire was also likely wrong that Emmerich
was old enough to be Angela's grandpappy. IRL, Calhern was thirty one years older than Monroe. That would be a highly unlikely short
gap of years in which to have a granddaughter. Dumb copper.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Do you like Eyes Wide Shut? What do you like about Nashville, switching gears to Altman. I'm a country music type of guy and thought Keith Carradine was just awful. The Janis Joplin gal had some juice. I didn't get this film either.