MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Andree

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Andree »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 9:03 pm

Not Stanny's finest moments in THE TWO MRS. CARROLLS. As for Alexis Smith, I always regarded her as just another Bacall imitation -- lots of 1940's noir style but little substance -- that is, until I saw her brilliantly acidic performance as Mrs. Hallet in THE LITTLE GIRL WHO LIVES DOWN THE LANE. The woman could act! Who knew?

I agree with you about Jessica, lol. I felt sorrier for Clint Eastwood than Michael Douglas.

(is your avatar that British Moor Murder woman Myra Hindley?)

Nobody had their finest moment in that movie, not even a goateed Nigel Bruce. A rather warmed over story with not
much to distinguish it. I never thought of Alexis Smith as a great actress, but she had a certain understated sexuality
about her, at least for me. I had forgotten about her turn in TLGWLDTL. Yes, Clint was a more sympathetic character
than Michael Douglas. He was not very nice as I recall.

Good eye. I thought it would be a while before anyone recognized Myra. I more I look at that photo, the more it looks
like a transvestite. I had a much better photo in mind, but it was too big to fit the dimensions of the avatar. Now
remember everyone, Ian did it. :smiley_innocent:
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 11:07 pm Hello Fedya, jamesjazzguitar and EP Millstone!
Why am I conjuring the image of Dorothy Gale greeting "Hunk" (The Scarecrow), "Hickory" (The Tin Man), and "Zeke" (The Cowardly Lion)?

. . . and Toto too!

Heigh-Ho, Bronxgirl48! Delighted to see you participating again!
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

I have the definition of pleasure locked up. It is simply the absence of pain. Pretty simple, huh?
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Swithin wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 11:27 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 11:08 pm Don't know why I'm watching ON THE BEACH. It depresses the hell out of me.
Spoiler alert for the end of the film!

Early in the pandemic, when no one knew how things would end up, I remember looking at the streets of New York, including out of my window on what is usually a vibrant avenue, and thinking of the end of On the Beach, and playing the scene from YouTube again and again. I think in terms of cinema, it's a brilliant ending, though of course depressing, with Ava Gardner looking out toward the submarine as Gregory Peck leaves, followed by the empty streets. In the days when they were setting up hospital beds in Central Park (which actually were only used briefly), I thought, thinking of On the Beach, is that how we're going to end up?
Always marveled at how they got those empty street shots in the SF scenes and later, in Melbourne. And taking over one of the busiest streets in Melbourne (appears to be Elizabeth Street, with the easily recognizable Flinders Street Railway Station in the background), replacing cars with horse-drawn vehicles and lots of cyclists. Today, they'd just use CGI.

The impressive-looking "Department of the Navy" building is actually the old General Post Office, now a shopping centre. The entrance that you see Gregory Peck using has a large H&M sign over it these days...
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Andree wrote: January 24th, 2023, 12:04 am

Not Stanny's finest moments in THE TWO MRS. CARROLLS. As for Alexis Smith, I always regarded her as just another Bacall imitation -- lots of 1940's noir style but little substance -- that is, until I saw her brilliantly acidic performance as Mrs. Hallet in THE LITTLE GIRL WHO LIVES DOWN THE LANE. The woman could act! Who knew?

I agree with you about Jessica, lol. I felt sorrier for Clint Eastwood than Michael Douglas.

Nobody had their finest moment in that movie, not even a goateed Nigel Bruce. A rather warmed over story with not
much to distinguish it. I never thought of Alexis Smith as a great actress, but she had a certain understated sexuality
about her, at least for me. I had forgotten about her turn in TLGWLDTL. Yes, Clint was a more sympathetic character

Good eye. I thought it would be a while before anyone recognized Myra. I more I look at that photo, the more it looks
like a transvestite. I had a much better photo in mind, but it was too big to fit the dimensions of the avatar. Now

Myra and Ian, Ian and Myra.....sad, sad. I watch and read a lot of crime stuff which is definitely not good for my nerves. (by the way, have you seen DANCE WITH A STRANGER? Rupert Everett as David Blakely is so obnoxious and abusive you almost cheer when "Mrs. Ellis" finally decides to dispatch him)

I wonder if Stanwyck is served any better by the CRY WOLF script. Haven't seen that one in quite some time.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

EP Millstone wrote: January 24th, 2023, 12:46 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 11:07 pm Hello Fedya, jamesjazzguitar and EP Millstone!
Why am I conjuring the image of Dorothy Gale greeting "Hunk" (The Scarecrow), "Hickory" (The Tin Man), and "Zeke" (The Cowardly Lion)?

. . . and Toto too!

Heigh-Ho, Bronxgirl48! Delighted to see you participating again!
Heigh-Ho yourself Millstone! Why thank you.

Have you ever seen TOP SECRET? (even funnier than AIRPLANE) They reference a few movies and THE WIZARD OF OZ is one of them.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hi, txfilmfan!

I can never hear Waltzing Matilda anywhere without thinking of ON THE BEACH. Not a very pleasant association.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 24th, 2023, 11:44 am Have you ever seen TOP SECRET? (even funnier than AIRPLANE) They reference a few movies and THE WIZARD OF OZ is one of them.
Bronxgirl48,

Yes, I've seen Top Secret, of which I'm especially fond because of the gag involving Peter Cushing. More comedies with the type of hilarious, zany humor produced by Jim Abrahams and the Zucker brothers would be greatly welcomed by me.

"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 24th, 2023, 11:38 am

Myra and Ian, Ian and Myra.....sad, sad. I watch and read a lot of crime stuff which is definitely not good for my nerves. (by the way, have you seen DANCE WITH A STRANGER? Rupert Everett as David Blakely is so obnoxious and abusive you almost cheer when "Mrs. Ellis" finally decides to dispatch him)

I wonder if Stanwyck is served any better by the CRY WOLF script. Haven't seen that one in quite some time.

NOT REALLY. (Cry Wolf)
Andree

Post by Andree »

Astaire and Rogers, Lennon and McCartney.....oops. I don't have many true crime books, but I watch it on TV fairly
regularly, though there comes a point when I turn to something else because I can only take so much of it. One
true crime book I do have is titled House of Evil about the horrific death of a teenager back in the 1960s. I
saw it as a movie and then ordered the book. Not for the weak of heart. While both were responsible for the Moors
Murders, I think that Brady was the main culprit. I can picture him doing such crimes on his own, can't do the same
for Myra. One of the strange aspects of that case is how far apart in time the murders occurred, about one every
six months. That goes against the idea that serial killers have a bloodlust they must satisfy shortly after their last
murder. Maybe that makes the Moor Murderers even more cold blooded.

I did see Dance with a Stranger a long time ago, so I only recall the general outline. There are some victims
who come close to "getting what they deserve," though one doesn't like to think that. I don't think I've ever seen
Cry Wolf. Or else it was so long ago that I've forgotten it. Have to see if it's on YT.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

I saw Dance with a Stranger at the Screen on the Hill on Haverstock Hill in Belsize Park, London, in 1985. Liked it a lot. Miranda Richardson played such strange off-center roles. In addition to Ruth Ellis, I saw her as Beatrice-Joanna in The Changeling at the Old Vic; and as Pamela Fitton in the wonderful television miniseries A Dance to the Music of Time. Her character, who is very odd, takes poison so that her necrophiliac lover can have sex with her at the moment of her death!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Andree wrote: January 24th, 2023, 4:39 pm

Astaire and Rogers, Lennon and McCartney.....oops. I don't have many true crime books, but I watch it on TV fairly
regularly, though there comes a point when I turn to something else because I can only take so much of it. One
true crime book I do have is titled House of Evil about the horrific death of a teenager back in the 1960s. I
saw it as a movie and then ordered the book. Not for the weak of heart. While both were responsible for the Moors
Murders, I think that Brady was the main culprit. I can picture him doing such crimes on his own, can't do the same
for Myra. One of the strange aspects of that case is how far apart in time the murders occurred, about one every
six months. That goes against the idea that serial killers have a bloodlust they must satisfy shortly after their last
murder. Maybe that makes the Moor Murderers even more cold blooded.

I did see Dance with a Stranger a long time ago, so I only recall the general outline. There are some victims
who come close to "getting what they deserve," though one doesn't like to think that. I don't think I've ever seen
Cry Wolf. Or else it was so long ago that I've forgotten it. Have to see if it's on YT.

Nothing quite like a British psycho.

I'm glad I can feel some sympathy for schlumpy, whiny Shelley Winters in A PLACE IN THE SUN. George was such a stinker.

Yeah, I think I'll also see if CRY WOLF is on YouTube. I always like to watch Errol Flynn stretching his acting muscles.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

EP Millstone wrote: January 24th, 2023, 2:55 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 24th, 2023, 11:44 am Have you ever seen TOP SECRET? (even funnier than AIRPLANE) They reference a few movies and THE WIZARD OF OZ is one of them.
Bronxgirl48,

Yes, I've seen Top Secret, of which I'm especially fond because of the gag involving Peter Cushing. More comedies with the type of hilarious, zany humor produced by Jim Abrahams and the Zucker brothers would be greatly welcomed by me.

The Swedish bookstore, lol. Abraham/Zuckers: comedy gods.

"Latrine!!"
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi wrote: January 24th, 2023, 3:14 pm

NOT REALLY. (Cry Wolf)
Hello, Hibi! Something tells me you are probably right.
Last edited by Bronxgirl48 on January 25th, 2023, 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Swithin, I've only seen Miranda in DANCE WITH A STRANGER but it has whetted my appetite for more of her performances. Thanks!