MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Hibi

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 30th, 2023, 4:26 pm LOL

I finally had the courage to look it up -- ESCAPE ME NEVER.
The title alone makes me want to watch it now! :D
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hey, guys, I'm a bit under the weather so hopefully will be fine by the weekend.

Please tawk among yourselves until then. Thanks.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Hope you're feeling better!
laffite

Post by laffite »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 12:17 pm Hey, guys, I'm a bit under the weather so hopefully will be fine by the weekend.

Please tawk among yourselves until then. Thanks.
Take care, Barb ... we look forward for your speedy recovery and your speedy return.

:smiley_doctor: "Hmm, no biggie, You'll be back in no time!"
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Andree

Post by Andree »

This is not up to the standards of a musing, etc. It's more of a shoulder shrug or maybe a hmmm. I've been watching reruns of
Match Game with Gene Rayburn recently. Every once in a while during the Super Match ($100, $250, $500) the name
of a classic Hollywood star is given as an answer, sometimes as the top ($500) answer, sometimes not. ___________ Cooper had
Jackie as the top answer. Alice Cooper came in second. Victor ___________ had Mature as the second answer, topped by Hugo
as the top answer. Maybe they had a literary studio audience in that day. And finally, Joan ____________ had Crawford as the
second answer. She was topped by of Arc. But Joan Crawford probably thought of herself as Joan of Arc at various times in
her life, so that one might be closer than it appears at first sight.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Andree wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 12:22 am This is not up to the standards of a musing, etc. It's more of a shoulder shrug or maybe a hmmm. I've been watching reruns of
Match Game with Gene Rayburn recently. Every once in a while during the Super Match ($100, $250, $500) the name
of a classic Hollywood star is given as an answer, sometimes as the top ($500) answer, sometimes not. ___________ Cooper had
Jackie as the top answer. Alice Cooper came in second. Victor ___________ had Mature as the second answer, topped by Hugo
as the top answer. Maybe they had a literary studio audience in that day. And finally, Joan ____________ had Crawford as the
second answer. She was topped by of Arc. But Joan Crawford probably thought of herself as Joan of Arc at various times in
One has to remind themselves that when viewing such programs and trying to guess the top answers they have to put themselves into the time period of the show (for Match Game with Rayburn, that is the 70s and early 80s). For "Cooper" I'm surprised Jackie was #1 instead of Gary. Of course it helps when someone is still alive. As for Victor: not a lot of those to begin with - the only one I can think of (for the time-period of the show) is Victor Borge.

As for Joan: Do you recall who was #3? I assume this was a Match Game in the 70s, because Joan Collins was all over the media once Dynasty started in 1981.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 2:20 pm
Andree wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 12:22 am This is not up to the standards of a musing, etc. It's more of a shoulder shrug or maybe a hmmm. I've been watching reruns of
One has to remind themselves that when viewing such programs and trying to guess the top answers they have to put themselves into the time period of the show (for Match Game with Rayburn, that is the 70s and early 80s). For "Cooper" I'm surprised Jackie was #1 instead of Gary. Of course it helps when someone is still alive. As for Victor: not a lot of those to begin with - the only one I can think of (for the time-period of the show) is Victor Borge.

As for Joan: Do you recall who was #3? I assume this was a Match Game in the 70s, because Joan Collins was all over the media once Dynasty started in 1981.
My mother was a huge fan of the Match Game, but I assume that might have been beginning with its first iteration, i.e. 1962-1969.
Andree

Post by Andree »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 2:20 pm

Oops. I had brain freeze or maybe it was the shock of seeing the names of Gary Cooper and Alice Cooper in the same place.
It was Gary Cooper who was the top answer. I believe Victor Borge was the third ($100) answer. This was Match Game '77 by
the way. I don't think Joan Collins was the third choice. I should make a quick note of these things. Another funny one was Thick
_________. The top answer was As A Brick, the Jethro Tull song/album. Gene looked puzzled until people in the audience shouted
out it was a rock song. A 45 year old game show is still pretty entertaining.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Swithin wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 2:32 pm

My mother was a huge fan of the Match Game, but I assume that might have been beginning with its first iteration, i.e. 1962-1969.
My mom watched it in the mid 1960s. I think the questions were tamer then and didn't have the risque possibilities that they
had later on. Of course those types of questions were the appeal of the later show.
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

Andree wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 4:51 pm
My mom watched it in the mid 1960s. I think the questions were tamer then and didn't have the risque possibilities that they
had later on. Of course those types of questions were the appeal of the later show.
Andree, forgive me if you've mentioned this before, but were you on the TCM boards? If so, what name did you use there?
Watching until the end.
Andree

Post by Andree »

I was on the old TCM boards. But what's the fun of changing your name if you tell everyone about it?
Anyway, the TCM forum is so 2022. :smiley_bagonhead:
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

Andree wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 10:20 pm I was on the old TCM boards. But what's the fun of changing your name if you tell everyone about it?
Anyway, the TCM forum is so 2022. :smiley_bagonhead:
You just reminded me of someone, that's all.

Watching until the end.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Hanna Schygulla? Thanks. I take that as quite the compliment.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Great sparring there, end of Round One.

But first, a word from Gillette.
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 2:12 pm Hope you're feeling better!

Thank you, Hibi, I am slowly coming around (slept until 11 a.m. today) thanks to sleep and mixed pickles. (they always seem to perk me up)

Although I might be sick again remembering that Ida Lupino's child in ESCAPE ME NEVER is called Piccolino.