MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Bronxgirl48

MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Bing Crosby's left arm still leaves me puzzled.

I am pondering where Vivian Leigh looked her loveliest. For me, it is a choice between THAT HAMILTON WOMAN and ANNA KARENINA.

Why do we never see ALIAS NICK BEAL? It's Ray Milland at his most delightfully demonic.

Barbara Stanwyck (a favorite) has to be one of the screen's greatest criers. She will break out in tears just when you think her character would never stoop to such emotional vulnerability.

Lloyd Nolan's laugh bothers me. It is so nasal and un-sexy.
laffite

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by laffite »

Barbara Stanwyck can do anything. She was also one our greatest screamers. Seems I remember she had roles like that. One of her key words.

I am fancying Mary Astor of late. Not that she was out of mind, I have been raving about Edith Cortright for years. Especially the pre-codes and slightly beyond.

Hi Bronxgirl48 ... :smilie_happy_thumbup:
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

I recently saw Ida Lupino on an old western TV program, and she hit the spot.
laffite

Post by laffite »

I have seen that but the memory is no longer green. I seem to remember there was a prolonged stagecoach scene. I could be very wrong. Very vague.

Ida in a Western, an interesting curio. She directed plenty I believe (TV).

Factoid : Ida was the only woman to direct an episode of the original Twilight Zone. And more than one, I think. Here is the first :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sixte ... ter_Shrine

Thompson

Post by Thompson »

I tell ya what, as much as I’m a misogynist, and blame women for all of my troubles, I give credit where credit is due. I mean, if we didn’t have these tremendous actresses where would we be? We’d be on the street, begging for a piece of bread. Under the overpass, living in a tent with five strangers, out of cigarettes of course. No, the idea, the archetype, it’s ALL about the archetype, and that’s what the movies do, they give you the archetype so you can go on believing.
Last edited by Thompson on January 23rd, 2023, 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Miklós Rózsa is one of favorite composers of movie scores.
Thanks to Bronxgirl's mentioning him in another thread, I have been listening to his score of the Korda production of THE THIEF OF BAGDAD.

Here is a THE THIEF OF BADDAD suite from The City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra's Warriors of the Silver screen album:

Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hello dere, laffite.

I remember Babs getting hysterical when frightening things start happening to her in THE NIGHT WALKER (co-starring ex-hubby Robert Taylor) so I'm sure there were many screams. However, my wonky memory fails to remember other roles where she had to exercise that particular lung power. Can you come to the assistance of this poor brain?

Mary Astor, another of my favorite actresses (and quite adept at sinister roles with a lady-like edge)
Last edited by Bronxgirl48 on January 23rd, 2023, 3:38 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Greetings, Holden. Thanks for THE THIEF OF BAGDAD suite!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hi, Thompson. Ida Lupino aways hits the spot!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Humphrey Bogart is one of my favorite actors but I never cared for his hands.
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

Thompson wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 2:24 pm I tell ya what, as much as I’m a misogynist, and blame women for all of my troubles, I give credit where credit is due. I mean, if we didn’t have these tremendous actresses where would we be? We’d be on the street, begging for a piece of bread. Under the overpass, living in a tent with five strangers, out of cigarettes of course. No, the idea, the archetype, it’s ALL about the archetype, and that’s what the movies do, they give you the archetype so you can go on believing.
We'd be watching Charley's Aunt and Lawrence of Arabia.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

"Edited 10 times in total" laffite, I never did!
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Thompson wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 2:24 pm I tell ya what, as much as I’m a misogynist, and blame women for all of my troubles, I give credit where credit is due. I mean, if we didn’t have these tremendous actresses where would we be? We’d be on the street, begging for a piece of bread. Under the overpass, living in a tent with five strangers, out of cigarettes of course. No, the idea, the archetype, it’s ALL about the archetype, and that’s what the movies do, they give you the archetype so you can go on believing.
Jeff Baily has a much different POV as it relates to "you can go on believing".
laffite

Post by laffite »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 3:42 pm "Edited 10 times in total" laffite, I never did!

That's customary. I have about that many personalities. O heck, I lied. I am trying to make myself sound interesting. I have only one personality and it's a flop.
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 3:17 pm I remember Babs getting hysterical when frightening things start happening to her in THE NIGHT WALKER (co-starring ex-hubby Robert Taylor) so I'm sure there were many screams.
In my opinion, her screams in that one left a bit to be desired.