Robert Mitchum

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
mrsl

Robert Mitchum

Post by mrsl »

I will behave on this thread title. Actually, I just wanted to mention the fact that it seems like even though Robert O had a dismal interview with Robert M at one time, he certainly seems to be a fan anyway. He's always enthusiastic about the movies he presents, but today he had an extra twinkle in his eye. Naturally, I've been in pig heaven since 5:00 a.m.

I have sat and watched All day - never changed the channel, or even checked the other stations. I saw many of the movies shown today, but a few were new to me. I thoroughly enjoyed watching Bob slide into all the different roles that were covered from cowboy, to military, to lawyer and aging beautifully with each decade.

I'm really glad they made the choices they did for today instead of the usual two with Jane Russell, the Lusty Men, Angel Face, and Not As a Stranger. The movies shown today were diverse in style as well as roles - different directors, different co-stars, different locations, etc.

Of course some of my favorites were missing - Home From the Hill, Not As a Stranger, Heaven Knows Mr. Allison, and The Enemy Below (my absolute Bob M. fave), but in all it was a great day.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

I was thinking about you, yesterday, Anne, as you are about the biggest Mitchum fan I know.

I'm glad you had a nice day watching one of your favorites! :)

And by the way, I LOVE Heaven Knows Mr. Allison. Probably my favorite role of his.
Ayres

Post by Ayres »

Just adore Robert Mitchum, too, Anne. He's soooo cooool. Almost always says just the right thing (tosses it off with this wonderful wryness), or if he doesn't, never looks foolish.

In love scenes he also lets a kind of vulnerability show--just as a flicker in those mopey eyes. Usually I go for the slender men, but this hunk just sends me.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

A great, great favorite, I was happy to see a couple of titles in the lineup that were new to me: Foreign Intrigue and The Night Fighters. I thought the latter was quite good and that he accomplished his Irish accent admirably! He's so easy on the eyes, I can watch him 24 hours a day with no problem.

Seeing The Night Fighters has inspired me to give Ryan's Daughter another go. I have had trouble liking this movie twice---but I hope I can overcome my aversion because I know he's really giving us quite a performance unlike any other character he did, except maybe the one in Two for the See Saw (another I don't care for).
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Don't ask me how or why, but I've never seen Ryan's Daughter. I know its been on TV so either I was out of town, or never saw an ad that it was going to be on. When I lived in Vegas, I saw very little TV, I was either at the pool or hot tub, or out in the desert gathering rocks and stuff. In 1971 when it was released in the U.S., I had a 4 year old, a 5 year old, a 7 year old, and a 8 year old, so I'm sure I was just quite busy.

Anyway, personally, I agree he's extremely easy on the eyes, and I'm with you Miss Goddess, I've never seen those two before either. I know most women don't especially care for war movies, but have you ever seen The Enemy Below? Although it's set during WWII, it's more of a psychological drama with wonderful plays of strategy between the two ships' captains. I think I recommended it once before to you, I hope you got to see it. If so, what did you think?

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Anne---every time you mention The Enemy Below I keep wanting to kick myself for missing when it airs. I will try to rent it on Netflix if it's available. I don't care for war movies either, but the way you describe it I'm sure I would make an exception of this one. Thanks for the reminder. :)
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Yeah! Netflix did have The Enemy Below and now it's in my "queue". I wanted to add that I enjoyed to other Mitchum war time movies: The Hunters and One Minute to Zero.
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Robert Mitchum

Post by moira finnie »

Let's raise a glass and wish a happy 95th Birthday to Mr. M., wherever you are!

As Eddie Coyle might say, "No, I am not finished. Look, I’m gettin’ old, you hear? I spent most of my life hanging around crummy joints with a buncha punks drinkin’ the beer, eatin’ the hash and the hot dogs and watchin’ the other people go off to Florida while I’m sweatin’ out how I’m gonna pay the plumber. I done time and I stood up but I can’t take no more chances. Next time, it’s gonna be me goin’ to Florida."

Here is Robert Mitchum keepin' it real with UK interviewer Michael Parkinson in 1972. I loved the comment he makes in reply to the inane question, "have you always wanted to be a movie star?"...

[youtube][/youtube]

He claimed that "No one ever caught me acting," but they did catch him outshining just about everyone (including Kirk Douglas, who was really earning his pay in this scene).
[youtube][/youtube]

I think they caught him singing more than once, but I like his way with this Cole Porter standard--"What Is This Thing Called Love," which is almost upbeat the way he puts it over:
[youtube][/youtube]

My favorite world-weary Mitchum movie is probably not what most people would choose, but this guy even made Shirley MacLaine bearable. They talk about great movie stars who worked best without a line of dialogue. Names like McQueen, Mifune, and Gabin get bandied about. But does anyone mention how little dialogue this guy needed to make his point? Please TCM. Next year give Bob his day, won't you? Just watch him walk, seemingly in rhythm with Andre Previn's great jazz score and nary a word needs to be spoken...it also doesn't hurt to have the legendary cinematographer Ted McCord behind the lens, the vastly underrated Robert Wise as director, Andre Previn's lush, jazzy score or NYC as a leading lady in these moments:
[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Right on, Moira! Mitchum is one of the best actors ever to come out of Hollywood.
One of my favorite performances of his is in "Home from the Hill", among many others.
Joseph Goodheart
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

In the mid 1960's there was a song called "Little Ol' Wine Drinker, Me." I like Mitchum's version even better than Dean Martin's!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I like Home From the Hill too, Joe. I find the movie a bit uneven, but Mitchum is excellent in the scenes with Eleanor Parker.

RedRiver wrote:In the mid 1960's there was a song called "Little Ol' Wine Drinker, Me." I like Mitchum's version even better than Dean Martin's!
Have a snootful, Red...it's on Bob

[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

that parkinson interview was, as i'd expect, hilarious. love him. i'm sure he has been star of the month on tcm, right? i wouldn't mind another go round with mitch.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Oh, yeah. He walked like a panther, sang like a calypso king, and always acted like he'd already won an Oscar.

He even "made Shirley Maclaine bearable!" Ha! :lol:
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Robert Mitchum's brother John was a professional musician and composer as well as a character actor who appeared all over movies and television. His most famous role is probably that of Clint Eastwood's partner in Dirty Harry. John wrote the words for nine of the 10 music-backed poems John Wayne recited on his album, "America, Why I Love Her." Brother Robert wasn't quite in John's league musically but he sure still had something! A friend and I had a discussion once about how many actors could really put over a song, despite a lack of formal musical training or even a great voice. As actors, they understood timing and pacing and how to tell a story and used those skills to help along a singing voice that may not have been the equivalent of Caruso. Robert Mitchum is definitely an example of that.

[youtube][/youtube]

John wrote a terrific memoir about himself and Robert called Them Ornery Mitchum Brothers. It's one of the funniest memoirs I've ever read and full of great anecdotes about the adventures of himself and brother Robert -- and also has a lot of insight into Robert and what made him tick. Robert may have wanted to convey an attitude that acting wasn't a real job and just something he did as a living, but underneath that casual veneer lay an entirely serious artist who was master of his craft.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Robert Mitchum

These songs that Robert Mitchum put together was inspired when he did "Fire Down Below" with Rita Hayworth and Jack Lemmon back in 1957.

[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]

One of my favorite picture in that Movie ... Robert Mitchum, Rita Hayworth, and Jack Lemmon.
Attachments
HayworthR (540).jpg
HayworthR (540).jpg (35.75 KiB) Viewed 6692 times