Night of the Iguana

MissGoddess

Night of the Iguana

Post by MissGoddess »

Night of the Iguana is one of those movies that goes completely over my head, I mean I really don't understand half of what is going on but I enjoy it regardless. And here is what makes me enjoy it: over all the craziness and pervyness going on I can palpably sense John Huston's beatific lack of judgement toward any of the characters. Not one of them is presented in a way that would move any but the most self-righteous to despise them. And this is not to say their all too human sins and frailties are minimized or exalted, either, just that it may be possible to see a little of ourselves in one or more of this bizarre assemblage of eccentrics.

The star of the greatest show in Acupulco, is Richard Burton as "Reverend T. Lawrence Shannon", a "defrocked" minister who really strips his soul bare by the end of the movie; I think it's a brave part for any actor. And a nice, juicy, hammy part, just perfect for the Welshie show-off. Even if he did prompt me to wish that while they were about it, besides lacing him up in the hammock they might have stuck a gag (or an apple?) in his mouth on occasion.

Also starring in rings two and three:

Deborah Kerr, as "Hannah Jelkes", a nervous, achingly confined creature who seems to be doing some sort of inscrutable penance by condemning herself to a rather precarious existence as nursemaid and muse to Cyril Delvanti's doddering old "Nonno", a poet in forever search of the next stanza. I don't feel like I understood Hannah any better by the end of the movie than I did at its start, but her character did utter the one line that has probably resonated as strongly with me as any other in films: "Nothing human ever disgusts me, Mr Shannon." I think perhaps that is just as much the voice of the film's director speaking, as it is of the supremely tolerant Hannah.

Up on the high wire there is Sue Lyons as "Charlotte Goodall" (not all that good), reprising her role as resident nymphette, making putty out of Shannon and exciting yet another inappropriate obsession, this time from her strictly from hunger schoolmistress, "Miss Judith Fellows" (Grayson Hall).

And as Ringmistress---and Shannon's mistress---my girl Ava Gardner as "Maxine Faulk" (what a loaded name). I think it may be Ava's best work as an actress, along with her "Honey Bear Kelly". She's Honey Bear as Honey Chile, after many years and one too many Tequila-drenched sunsets with the local chiquitos. She wants Shannon and they probably are poison to one another but you want her to have what she wants to have (though she pretends not to want him at all, thank you very much she's just fine with her Mexican boys), that's how warm and very real Ava is here. You have to see some of the behind-the-scenes footage that was filmed during this shoot to appreciate how hard she did work on her character, I vividly recall seeing her doing a scene, either after a take or rehearsal, where she kept looking up expectantly at John Huston and like a kid, asking if she did it right. I wish she could have had more directors like him (and Ford), who really know what she had inside her. Some of this footage was put together for a featurette TCM airs quite often.

Finally, lest we forget the best actor in the bunch, making a rare screen appearance straight from the Amazon:

While this movie played on TCM it inspired me to write a thread about it; maybe you have some comments and opinons to share as well (insights and plot clarifications not wanted but begged for). If so, hop aboard the bus, but please don't sit too close to Charlotte or Miss Fellows will rap you across the knuckles.
feaito

Post by feaito »

April,

I haven't ever seen this film, but your excellent, inspired review made want to. Your writing skills are great. Yet another talent of the great SSO Boards!

P.S. In James Spada's biography of Bette Davis I read that she played Maxine (none very successfully) in the first stage adaptation of Williams' Play.
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

Okay. I like this movie.

I admit it - I am a Richard Burton groupie. :lol: And frankly, I'm not even sure WHY. There is just something about him as an actor that I like.

Maybe it's the sort of characters he often plays (and plays so well!): these once successful guys who are now washed up because of some Big Mistake they made. Or alternatively, guys who are IN THE PROCESS of making that Big Mistake during the film itself.

The former, of course, is the sort of character he plays in NIGHT OF THE IGUANA, and he is great at it.

The odd thing about many of Richard Burton's characters is that they are rarely redeemed in any real way by the end of the picture - they might be in a *little bit* better situation (as in this film)...but by no means are their problems solved.

You see this in Burton picture after Burton picture - THE SANDPIPER, THE VIPS, and my personal favorite Richard Burton film, THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD.

By the time you finally get Richard Burton playing a truly decent guy (in WHERE EAGLES DARE, for example, he plays a 'good guy') with an unambiguously 'good ending', you almost don't know what to do with him, because you are waiting for the 'tortured soul with a questionable moral compass' bit to kick in, and it never does. :lol:

Anyway, back to this movie. Frankly, I think this is one of those films where you just have to sit back and enjoy the quirkiness of the characters - particularly Richard Burton's character and Deborah Kerr's character.

Ava Gardner is good, mind you...but the really interesting characters are Deborah Kerr's and Richard Burton's.

Bang-up cast though....gotta say that much!
My wife said she'd help young people, ... That's what I'd do. Help young people, then buy a big motor home and get out of town.
~ Gary Cooper
benwhowell

Dark Shadows

Post by benwhowell »

MissG, I totally agree with you about Huston's "beatific lack of judgement toward any of the characters." That was a trait he exhibited in all his movies. One of the reasons why he's one of my favorite directors.
I'm a big Tennesse Williams fan-especially his "crazy and pervy" characterizations and his keen ability to tease us with secret, suppressed "agendas." Huston assembled a terrific cast to embody these characters and they all did superb jobs.
I find it odd that Grayson Hall as the sexually "ambiguous" Judith Fellowes received the only acting Oscar nod. "If she knew the truth about herself, it would destroy her."
Burton was all over this role as the defrocked priest struggling to find "answers" and fight natural human desires aka "carnal sins-"like Adam plopped down into an Eden with WAY TOO MANY Eves! And, I might add, he was never sexier! :oops:
Ava was the epitome of "carnal desire." It is my fave performance from her. It's very interesting that Bette Davis played Maxine in the Broadway production!
Deborah Kerr was angelic as Hannah. Hannah is one of Williams' characters that are just too sensitive for this world and sometimes (trustingly) make the wrong choices. (Like Blanche DuBois, et al.)
This is one movie that ends too soon for me...I always want the three of them to remain at Ava's resort and "tackle" the world together. Does that seem co-dependent?
I also loved Ava's resort. What an Eden! I do love the B&W photography, but I would also love to see it in color.
This movie also put Puerto Vallarta on the map...for tourism.
Handsome Johnny Eck
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I cannot imagine Bette in that role, Feaito!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I admit it - I am a Richard Burton groupie. And frankly, I'm not even sure WHY. There is just something about him as an actor that I like.

Join the club, Beda. :P I fell for him when I saw him in an interview, the man had a fascinating mind, if a bit sour at times.

Maybe it's the sort of characters he often plays (and plays so well!): these once successful guys who are now washed up because of some Big Mistake they made. Or alternatively, guys who are IN THE PROCESS of making that Big Mistake during the film itself.

Interesting observation! Have you seen him in My Cousin Rachel? I think that was his debut film and there is something touching about his callow young swain. It's Ante-Elizabethan Burton, you might say. ;)
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi Ben---Williams plays were a big part of much scene study work when I was studying acting, and Orpheus Descending was one of my first plays. If I ever were tempted to tread the boards again in future years, "Blanche DuBois" would be my girl.

Huston's way with odd characters was also beautifully on display in Beat the Devil, a movie I really was disappointed by upon my first viewing---only to change my mind entirely about it years later. It's really quite funny and certainly off-beat.
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

MissGoddess wrote:I admit it - I am a Richard Burton groupie. And frankly, I'm not even sure WHY. There is just something about him as an actor that I like.

Join the club, Beda. :P I fell for him when I saw him in an interview, the man had a fascinating mind, if a bit sour at times.
Yeah! And really, that's it! I think he appeals to the cynic in me.

Most of the actors I like are so upbeat and positive - not only in the roles they played, but also in their personal demeanor. But Richard Burton is the exact opposite - to me, he represents the whole 'world wise and world weary' persona. And in that regard, sort of offsets some of my other favorites like Coop, Ronald Colman, Clark Gable, etc.

I guess you could say that he appeals to my darker, more cynical side. It's like I sense something going on below the surface in him that I am attracted to and curious about...but at the same time sense is almost dangerous.

Can't put a finger on it...but it's that whole moth-to-flame effect.

No doubt Elizabeth Taylor felt the same way...only alot moreso! :lol:

Interesting observation! Have you seen him in My Cousin Rachel? I think that was his debut film and there is something touching about his callow young swain. It's Ante-Elizabethan Burton, you might say. ;)
No, I've not seen that one yet. Most of the films I've seen him in are from the middle of his career, I would guess. I own the Elizabeth Taylor/Richard Burton set...and have seen some other films - mainly the ones that I named in my post. But I still have a long way to go - I've seen BECKET, for example, but only a piece at a time - never all at once in one sitting, and I really need to do that. And when I flip over to his filmography at TCM, I see that the earliest film of his I've seen is THE VIPs, which is was made in 1963! :shock:

Guess I need to get on that, huh?! :lol: But the thing is that I have to be in the mood for those big historical dramas or Shakespearean films (he's in ALOT of those), and many of the others of his earlier films don't come on TCM much (if at all) and I don't think they are on DVD.

One DVD I own that I've not gotten round to watching yet is LOOK BACK IN ANGER. I've no excuse for having failed to see that one! But even that one is only 1959!

Sidebar: It really is getting sort of surreal how we seem to like...and DISLIKE...pretty much the same actors...and for much the same reasons. Have you noticed this?
My wife said she'd help young people, ... That's what I'd do. Help young people, then buy a big motor home and get out of town.
~ Gary Cooper
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

^ :lol:

Okay! Now tell us what you REALLY think! :lol:

Seriously...good to get a different perspective. Not every film appeals to everyone.

I think for me, the only nit is that I walk away rather unsatisfied with the ending. But then, I'm not sure we are supposed to be satisfied with the ending which is not one where 'everyone lives happily ever after'.

I mean, these are some screwed up characters. So as much as I'd feel better about it, perhaps 'happily ever after' is not very realistic.....
Last edited by pktrekgirl on October 4th, 2007, 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Gary Cooper
feaito

Post by feaito »

JohnM wrote:I find this film horribly acted. Perhaps horribly directed, as well? Not sure. I do know that it is one of a few films I try to watch, every so often, and always find myself turning it off. Today, would be an example of that. I am not in the Richard Burton fan club. Although, I saw him live, on stage, a couple of times, and I thought he was mesmerizing. Also, in <b>Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?</b>, he is superb! Otherwise, I find him a horribly over-the-top film actor, who grates on my nerves. Ava Gardner is just horrendous, in this film, and the whole thing is rather annoying, imo.
In my case I loathed "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" and had to turn it off because I could not stand it. I really disliked intensely all the film's characters and this is something that very seldom happens to me.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Yes, they acting is terrific and I could realize "objectively" that Taylor and Burton were giving excellent performances, but I really hated the film, the dialogue, the characters, the atmosphere, etc. I was annoyed. Maybe it was the same that happened to you with "Night of the Iguana". It can't be explained it's just a matter of taste and maybe a visceral reaction, I don't know for sure.
feaito

Post by feaito »

JohnM wrote:I think you are right about that, feaito. I mean, how can someone not like <b>The Sound of Music</b>????? :P
:lol: ....And believe it or not, it really used to be one my favorite films. Talking about a "visceral" change of heart.